PDA

View Full Version : East Coast Sites

bad bob
11-08-2006, 07:06 PM
In a travel section of a local magazine, one Ronda Addy sat at her keyboard and produced the following east coast ghost town locations:

Plymouth Five Corners, VT. in Windsor County, near Plymouth. (not much left to indicate the town was even there).

North Pepperell, MA. in Middlesex county along the Nissitisset River. After the war of 1812 a woman who was physically abused is believed to have turned into a witch and put a curse on the town. Witch disappeared, and curse was forgotten. Shortly, major fires destroyed 4 mills, and a shoe shop...some folks died in mysterious ways, and by 1855 the town was deserted.

Cotton Hollow, CT. , in Hartford County. Once had a paper mill, gristmill, & gunpowder factory. All that's left are remains of paper mill on one side of a brook, and some foundations on the other side.

Batsto, NJ. , in Burlington County, founded 1766, had a gristmill, iron forge, glassworks, sawmill, and brickyard. Low profits closed forges in 1848, and in 1874, half of near abandoned town destroyed by fire. Wharton State Forest est 1954 led to Batsto declared a SHS. Almost 40 original buildings, and sites have been restored.

Ft Delaware, DE. in New Castle County on Pea Patch Island middle of Delaware River. Building of Ft began 1813, delayed until 1819. Town destroyed by fire 1831. Reconstruction began 1848, finished 1859. First new occupants was Artillery Company in 1861. In 1863, 12,000 southern prisoners detained there. Unoccupied from 1865 to 1896, and closed 1903..reactivated 1917 to 1919, & 1939 to 1943. Deactivated 1944, given to State and made into a state park accessible by boat.

Centralia PA. in Columbia County. Trash fire in coal strip mine went into a coal vein. Fire believed to been put out wasn't, and burned for next 20 years, affecting almost 200 acres. Experts now think it could burn for over a century and affect over 3700 acres. Apparently huge craters emitting smoke can still be seen today. Town had to be abandoned.

Reed Gold Mine 1.6 miles southwest of Georgetown, NC.
In 1799, 12 year old boy named Conrad J Reed found huge gold nugget in local creek. The site became the first discovery of gold in the U.S., nearly 50 years before James Marshall stumbled over it on the South Fork of the American River in California.
Mine closed in 1903, reopened 1911-1912. Town sold to NC in 1971. State repaired the mine, turned into a museum, opened to public in 1977.

LauraA
11-09-2006, 06:09 AM
Bad Bob, Great post for our "back East" friends. :)
Several years ago I had the opportunity to visit Fort Delaware. It's a great site, one can still get the feel of what it must have been like during the Civil War.
I remember reading that back in the late 1960s the organizers of the restoration process invited metal detecting clubs to join in searching the western end of Pea Patch Island to help uncover artifacts. The items found are on display in the museum located on the island.

Fort Delaware on Pea Patch Island

Fort Delaware and Pea Patch Island (http://civilwarstudies.org/OnlinePrograms/Thumbnails/fortdelaware/start.htm)

bad bob
11-09-2006, 09:37 AM
Thanks Laura
Too bad so many sites have been lost across the U.S.
Would love to have been able to see all of the colonial settlements, and their histories. As far as I know, Williamsburg, Harper's Ferry, and a couple others are all that's left from this historic period.