PDA

View Full Version : ND Ghost town updates

ND Dave
11-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Here is updated information on a number of ghost towns listed and nominations for a few more.

First - the town listed as "Verendre". the correct spelling is Verendrye (the Y was missing). The volunteer fire department had some practice with the buildings there within the last few years so there may be nothing left of the town now.

Churchs Ferry is still an occupied town - the level of Devils Lake has been holding steady so far.

Omemee - there is little left of the town. Only a few utility poles and a couple ramshackle buildings remain (although someone has made a killing selling town lots online :mad: ).

A few towns suggested for the list:

Carbury - this is along ND 14 northwest of Bottineau. It probably lost residents the same way Omemee and Gardena did - migration to Bottineau. A few houses remain (I think the grain elevators were removed recently), but the streets are dirt or gravel so best time to visit it would be late spring to fall.

Roth - just off Bottineau County road 6 (which is the main blacktop road through the area) between Landa and Souris (which are dying towns themselves). It appears it may never have been any larger than the small collection of houses that it is.

Antler - just off ND 256 a couple miles south of the Canadian border. A few occupied houses remain - although the last business (the bar) burned down in the early 1980s.

ND Dave
11-26-2006, 11:35 AM
Astoria - it should be pointed out that there is a SECOND town named Astoria on the other side of the state, in southeast Deuel County. It isn't doing so well either... it has about 100 or so residents and a few abandoned buildings.

Hammer - there are a few people living in this town yet but most of the buildings are abandoned and/or falling down. The correct location of Hammer is east of Claire City / west of New Effington.

GaryB
11-26-2006, 11:51 AM
I moved the posts to here as it's more suitable and they won't get lost in the "other" forum.

Thanks for the updates.

Johnnie
11-30-2006, 08:03 AM
I moved the posts to here as it's more suitable and they won't get lost in the "other" forum.

Thanks for the updates.

Thanks! GaryB, for taking on the ( The On Line Job) of the year. We all can see that nothing is getting by you. "From an well known phase" (We are in Good Hands) Now.:)

Johnnie & Sheila