PDA

View Full Version : Secrets of the Tres Amigos mine

brian10x
12-03-2006, 02:07 PM
After dilligent research, I decided today to venture out in search of the infamous Tres Amigos mine, near Ruby, Arizona.

After more than an hour in first gear 4-Lo, over spleen dislocating bumps, I came upon a washed-out section of trail, that had I not been traveling alone, would have urged the mighty Sammi through. I decided a short hike might be the safer course of action.

Lo and behold, after a scant five minutes, I came upon the mysterious and legendary Tres Amigos mine!

brian10x
12-03-2006, 02:11 PM
As I ventured forth inside, I had this uneasy feeling I was being watched. Every time I turned around, I would catch a glimse of something out of the corner of my eye. I convinced myself it was just nerves.

brian10x
12-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Just past the entrance, on my right, was a shelf on which an assortment of rocks has been laid out for inspection. To me, just rocks. To the trained eye, who knows?

After another 50 feet or so, I came upon a strange little room. As I entered the room, I found the floor littered with plastic bags of what to me appeared to be rocks and dirt.

brian10x
12-03-2006, 02:30 PM
After exploring the room, I gathered the courage to explore further down the mine. As I ventured further, I had a harder time breathing, which, at the time I blamed on anxiety or stress, but in hindsight may have been poisoned air.

My next memory was of lying on my back, staring into near complete darkness, the mine entrance being my only reference point. I had a throbbing headache and a bitter, almost metallic taste in my mouth. My right ankle was painfully twisted, yet still usable, and I had a strange bump on the back of my head. A quick inventory revealed my six gun still in its holster, and my wallet and camera intact as well.

brian10x
12-03-2006, 02:40 PM
As I gathered myself up I discovered the air was very hard to breathe when I stood up, but it felt easier to breathe and move around when I was closer to the ground.

I resolved to exit the mine on all fours, as I no longer trusted the air up higher.

As I passed the room, now on my left, I had to take one last peek inside.

One of the plastic bags was open, on a makeshift table. I honestly don't remember it being there before. It was left open, and I examined the contents carefully. After careful examination, I finally realized the secret of the Tres Amigos mine.

The **** with the bad air. I sprinted out the shaft as quickly as my bad ankle allowed.

I will never expore this mine again, nor will I reveal its location. Not after today.

brian10x
12-03-2006, 02:43 PM
The Tres Amigos mine is an interesting hole in the mountain. Nothing more. All the rest is made up.

I hope I didn't make anyone angry. I felt it was worth a little embellishing, thats all.

bad bob
12-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Way to go Brian! Great pictures, and interesting short story...nothing wrong with a little embell, and a disclaimer, IMO.
bb.

jbodine
12-03-2006, 03:39 PM
After exploring the room, I gathered the courage to explore further down the mine. As I ventured further, I had a harder time breathing, which, at the time I blamed on anxiety or stress, but in hindsight may have been poisoned air.

My next memory was of lying on my back, staring into near complete darkness, the mine entrance being my only reference point. I had a throbbing headache and a bitter, almost metallic taste in my mouth. My right ankle was painfully twisted, yet still usable, and I had a strange bump on the back of my head. A quick inventory revealed my six gun still in its holster, and my wallet and camera intact as well. Well Brian I would say as long as a bottle of vasaline was nowhere insight you should be ok:D when a mine has water in it the water evaporates and goes to the top of the mine the evaporated water has gasses in it thus you get bad air when you stand in front of the mine and dont feel a draft this says the mine has no ventilation and the bad air has nowhere to go.when you walk through the water it stirs up the gasses and you end up on your back or face the reason you could breathe on the floor of the mine is all of the gasses rise and all of the oxygen stays down low. buy an air monitor to take with you then youll know for sure if the air is good or not.

jbodine
12-03-2006, 03:50 PM
May I also add you're lucky it is obviously not your time to check out you could have died. As for the bags of material they appeared to be sample bags for assy purposes.

bad bob
12-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Well Brian I would say as long as a bottle of vasaline was nowhere insight you should be ok:D when a mine has water in it the water evaporates and goes to the top of the mine the evaporated water has gasses in it thus you get bad air when you stand in front of the mine and dont feel a draft this says the mine has no ventilation and the bad air has nowhere to go.when you walk through the water it stirs up the gasses and you end up on your back or face the reason you could breathe on the floor of the mine is all of the gasses rise and all of the oxygen stays down low. buy an air monitor to take with you then youll know for sure if the air is good or not.

Hey Brian...I was going to help ya out on this one, but I think it'd be better if the "news" flash came from you!

jbodine
12-03-2006, 04:57 PM
Hey Brian...I was going to help ya out on this one, but I think it'd be better if the "news" flash came from you!
Thats what I get for trying to work and read peoples posts:o never have been one to duel task good one brian10x maybe what i should do is post a bunch of haunted,gravity hill, i seen a whole town full of ghost in Pima county Arizona stuff that would be funny too dont ya think:D

LauraA
12-03-2006, 05:19 PM
:D :D :D Good going Brian! Any souvenirs?
Here's a link, if you scroll about half way down the page, it mentions Tres Amigos GOLD :eek: Mine.

Arizona Gold Locations - Prospecting + Panning (http://store.goldfeverprospecting.com/argolo.html)

brian10x
12-03-2006, 05:49 PM
:D :D :D Good going Brian! Any souvenirs?
Here's a link, if you scroll about half way down the page, it mentions Tres Amigos GOLD :eek: Mine.

Arizona Gold Locations - Prospecting + Panning (http://store.goldfeverprospecting.com/argolo.html)

Laura, the only souvenirs I found were the forementioned bags of gravel and some wooden spikes.

The mine goes way into the mountain, but it was a windy day, and the air was still inside the mine. Not a good sign.

After our last adventure, I'm being more cautious when I'm alone.

I'll check on your link-thank you!

High Desert Drifter
12-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Cool story. you had me going there for a bit. Nevertheless, a good find for sure. maybe you and Laura should team up and start a web site to start storing all your cool finds?

brian10x
12-05-2006, 04:16 AM
Cool story. you had me going there for a bit. Nevertheless, a good find for sure. maybe you and Laura should team up and start a web site to start storing all your cool finds?

Except in my case, lots of searching, very few cool finds.

LauraA
12-05-2006, 04:27 AM
Not a lot of cool finds here either. Most have no value except to us. (not counting the Dutchman's gold and we're not telling about that) :D

Flatiron
12-05-2006, 04:44 AM
Laura..............I thought that little stash I found in a cave near Weaver's Needle with a note from a guy by the name of Jacob Waltz might be connected to the Lost Dutchmans Treasure, but I guess if you and Brian found it, I'll just stick this stuff on ebay, and get rid of it. :( ..........Congratulations on the find, by the way.;)

LauraA
12-05-2006, 05:14 AM
Hey Flatiron, long time no see!
I tried selling the Dutchman's stash on Ebay, but the bidding stalled at $1.98.
(top secret ... go to Weaver's Needle, turn around three times, touch your nose, walk two paces north and start digging, you're sure to find gold amid the poptops and shotgun shells) ;) :D