PDA

View Full Version : Copper Creek, Az.

Flatiron
12-05-2006, 04:35 AM
We just got home from a 3 day campout near Copper Creek, Az. in the Galiuro Mtns. NE of Tucson, and I'm wondering if any of our fellow GTers have any old photos of what this place looked like before vandals knocked down some of the buildings. This is a great place to explore, as there are many old mines in the area, although a lot of the roads we used to take are now locked off and drilling for core samples taking place. I guess the price of copper is high enough to warrant exploration. There's also the old "Sister" Bourne GF Bar ranch site in the area (of "Woman in Levis"fame), though not much is left there except the old concrete water tank and dam site at the artesian spring on Copper Creek. Even though jerkoffs have made their mark in the area, it's still worth a visit to Copper Creek, Bunker Hill, and the Sibley Mansion. :D :D ...................

LauraA
12-05-2006, 05:30 AM
Sounds like a fun (but cold) camp out. I found these links you might be interested in seeing. :)

Jeremy Rowe Vintage Photography (http://vintagephoto.com/reference/coppercreekarticle/coppercreekarticle.html)

Sibley Mansion & Copper Creek Pictures : Sibley Mansion (3) (http://www.markdstephens.com/sibley_mansion_copper_creek/index18.html)

Flatiron
12-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the info Laura. I was hoping somebody may have some photos from 20-30 years ago, as I have some photos that I think are of Copper Creek and the Sibley mansion remains, but I'm not sure. Thanks again....:D

brian10x
12-05-2006, 07:10 PM
We just got home from a 3 day campout near Copper Creek, Az. in the Galiuro Mtns. NE of Tucson, and I'm wondering if any of our fellow GTers have any old photos of what this place looked like before vandals knocked down some of the buildings. This is a great place to explore, as there are many old mines in the area, although a lot of the roads we used to take are now locked off and drilling for core samples taking place. I guess the price of copper is high enough to warrant exploration. There's also the old "Sister" Bourne GF Bar ranch site in the area (of "Woman in Levis"fame), though not much is left there except the old concrete water tank and dam site at the artesian spring on Copper Creek. Even though jerkoffs have made their mark in the area, it's still worth a visit to Copper Creek, Bunker Hill, and the Sibley Mansion. :D :D ...................
Copper Creek is one of my favorite places! Is the Bunker hill mine still accesible? How about the Sibley mansion?

Flatiron
12-06-2006, 03:21 AM
Brian............Yes, you can still get to Copper Creek, the Bunker Hill Mine, and Sibley Mansion, but the road is gated off to the Magna Mine and Reliable Mine. Also, there's a locked gate on Bunker Hill Rd. near Scanlon Wash, so you need to access the area from Copper Creek Rd. Laura was right about it being a little chilly. It was 33 degrees with wind gusts up to 50 mph Sat. night, and blew our tent down, as well as our kitchen set-up. Still worth the trip, though. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else but Az. in the winter, as I don't do to well with below zero temps anymore. :eek:

Flatiron
12-17-2006, 03:17 AM
I forgot to note that the road to the Sibley Mansion and General Store is gated off about .20 of a mile on the high road into the area, and about .65 of a mile if you're coming up the wash from the west side. I was told by an unreliable source that this was done for liability reasons by the property owner, but legally we're still trespassing. I sure hope they aren't going to be doing any mining real close to this historical spot. I still find it hard to believe that Roy Sibley used to drive a Stutz Bearcat out there from Willcox. :eek:

LauraA
12-30-2006, 01:38 AM
Clearing a bumpy road....