PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Has Lost Treasure

Johnnie
12-16-2006, 03:34 PM
This next Tueday,
at 8:00 P. M. tune in on the
(Travel Channel) there is some great Cash and Tresures, stories scheduled.

This one is out of our own lost treasure archives, and may be in Laura's, Flatiron, backyard and others who may reside in the great State Of Arizona.

We are sure there is many others who live in and around the Sycomore Canyon area and should find this lost treasure very interesting. As i remember our fellow ghostowner Watt Noise, is from Arizona and may have the advantage over the rest of us and take some airial photographs, to help pin-point the lost mine.

The lost mine when first disovered was giving the name Bootleg Mine, but some 100 years later renamed the Lost Apache Gold Mine,the mine was first discovered over 400 years ago by the Spaniards, But the Spaniards were ran off by hostiles Indians, and then the Native Americans worked the mine for about 100 years years but then was lost again and then redisovered several times by white prospectors but again ran off by hostiles Indians.

Then in 1880s the Lost Apache Mine was located again, by some local miners that found a map and set out to lacate the rich ore, and made several trips into Sycomore Canyon, but they too had no luck.

Then in 1930 a prospector found what he clamined to be lost mine and proved it by his own ore samples that were assayed out to be very rich ore. but he too lost the location of the mine and remained lost once
again.

One treasure hunter tried flying over the area in his airplane and claimed he located the lost mine and could see it from the air, but when tried to locate several time on foot but just could not locate the same spot that had seen from his airplane.

Now according to a old west Historian Hubert Howe Bancroft,the lost mine was situated near Bill Williams Mountain, 32 miles of the old mining town of Jerome, but others that have research old maps and claim the mine is located in sycamore Canyon at a intersection of 112 meridian and the 35th Parallel.

Others say that the lost mine is near the Verde River, between Perkinsville and the mouth of Sycamore Canyon, And another story claimes there is rich treasure of coins, and gold bars, that came from the orig. mine hidden nearby in a limestone cave just waiting to be discovered.:)

Happy Hunting
Lots Of Luck
Johnnie & Sheila

Flatiron
12-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Johnnie and Sheila.............It's always good to hear from you two. After reading your post, I remember talking to an old cowboy who used to work at the Pine Springs Ranch west of Bill Williams Mtn. , and he believed the mine was somewhere out in Rattlesnake Canyon, south of Williams, and north of Perkinsville. I don't know what he based his theory on, but he'd been in the area for quite a few years, and I guess everybody has their own opinion as to where it might be. I was in Williams last week for a family Xmas get together, and always enjoy listening to stories about the Coconino area. We just got back from Cottonwood/Jerome/Clarkdale about 30 minutes ago, but didn't have time to do any exploring.I assume ol' Bunk still lives in Chino Valley, and maybe he can shed some light on this subject. Thanks for the info, Johnnie.............:D :D

Watt Noise
12-17-2006, 01:04 AM
Did I hear my moniker mentioned? ;) Great story Johnnie and Sheila... Made me even Google - LOL... Monumental area(s) to cover but sure would be nice to do some aerials... If anyone's up to the venture, PM me and see if I'm available... I wouldn't mind being an "eye in the sky" for someone that had some ideas on looking for this place... Probably not one that I would go to alone or with my normal crew since it's kind of far from Tucson and my usual operating areas... Kevin

LauraA
12-17-2006, 07:13 AM
Great post Johnnie & Sheila! Although that area is out of range of our backyard, we've got it on our "to do" list. :)

bunk
12-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Johnnie and Sheila.............It's always good to hear from you two. After reading your post, I remember talking to an old cowboy who used to work at the Pine Springs Ranch west of Bill Williams Mtn. , and he believed the mine was somewhere out in Rattlesnake Canyon, south of Williams, and north of Perkinsville. I don't know what he based his theory on, but he'd been in the area for quite a few years, and I guess everybody has their own opinion as to where it might be. I was in Williams last week for a family Xmas get together, and always enjoy listening to stories about the Coconino area. We just got back from Cottonwood/Jerome/Clarkdale about 30 minutes ago, but didn't have time to do any exploring.I assume ol' Bunk still lives in Chino Valley, and maybe he can shed some light on this subject. Thanks for the info, Johnnie.............:D :DYep, I am still here!
I have just been boning up on lost mines as I have gotten back into prospecting.
One thing I do know is the area S. of Bill Wiliams Mtn. does not hold a lot of mineralisation until you get past the Verde river.
Sycamore Cyn is also the place of the legend of Geronemo's lost mine. It would seem to me, that if such a mine did exist that a peice of rich float or something would have been found after all these years.
I tend to think that a lot of the lost mine stories are caches or stockpiles that were stumbeled upon.
Just my thoughts and I could be way off base.
Bunk

Flatiron
12-18-2006, 03:38 AM
Bunk..........Glad to see you're still around. I knew you might be able to add a little insight to this discussion, as it's in your own backyard. Thanks..........:D

Johnnie
12-18-2006, 06:03 AM
This next Tueday,
at 8:00 P. M. tune in on the
(Travel Channel) there is some great Cash and Tresures, stories scheduled.

This one is out of our own lost treasure archives, and may be in Laura's, Flatiron, backyard and others who may reside in the great State Of Arizona.

We are sure there is many others who live in and around the Sycomore Canyon area and should find this lost treasure very interesting. As i remember our fellow ghostowner Watt Noise, is from Arizona and may have the advantage over the rest of us and take some airial photographs, to help pin-point the lost mine.

The lost mine when first disovered was giving the name Bootleg Mine, but some 100 years later renamed the Lost Apache Gold Mine,the mine was first discovered over 400 years ago by the Spaniards, But the Spaniards were ran off by hostiles Indians, and then the Native Americans worked the mine for about 100 years years but then was lost again and then redisovered several times by white prospectors but again ran off by hostiles Indians.

Then in 1880s the Lost Apache Mine was located again, by some local miners that found a map and set out to lacate the rich ore, and made several trips into Sycomore Canyon, but they too had no luck.

Then in 1930 a prospector found what he clamined to be lost mine and proved it by his own ore samples that were assayed out to be very rich ore. but he too lost the location of the mine and remained lost once
again.

One treasure hunter tried flying over the area in his airplane and claimed he located the lost mine and could see it from the air, but when tried to locate several time on foot but just could not locate the same spot that had seen from his airplane.

Now according to a old west Historian Hubert Howe Bancroft,the lost mine was situated near Bill Williams Mountain, 32 miles of the old mining town of Jerome, but others that have research old maps and claim the mine is located in sycamore Canyon at a intersection of 112 meridian and the 35th Parallel.

Others say that the lost mine is near the Verde River, between Perkinsville and the mouth of Sycamore Canyon, And another story claimes there is rich treasure of coins, and gold bars, that came from the orig. mine hidden nearby in a limestone cave just waiting to be discovered.:)

Happy Hunting
Lots Of Luck
Johnnie & Sheila

Thanks for the feed back Flatiron, Laura, Watt Noise, and Bunk, We don't always have the time to post our old west stories as much as we would like. But the weather kept us in our cabin this last weekend.

Sheila and I have a lot more of these legends, to share when we get more time we will post them.

Who knows about these lost treasure stories, pass down over several genrations. We have to agree one thing there are fun to read about. :)

Thanks again
Johnnie Sheila

Mark
01-26-2010, 08:00 AM
Hi I live very close to Sycamore canyon and love to trail my horse in and hunt history. Any stories or company is welcome. I love the place. Mark

Mark
01-26-2010, 09:24 AM
This is my first time in, hopefully I am doing this rite. I live very near Sycamore Canyon. I love to explore this area on my horse. I have found some amazing ruins and am looking for any type of interesting history. Any stories or company when riding is welcome. Mark

Darin
01-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Welcome to the forum, Mark. Hope you're enjoying yourself here on GT. There are plenty of other GT'ers that are in the Arizona area so someone shoul be able to answer your questions and give you some background on info you need.

temujin sage
08-28-2011, 06:08 AM
I was out hiking a dry wash on the outskirts of sedona arizona, which is flooded during spring run off, sat on the bank of the river and noticed a boulder in the center of the gushing water way, the stone had 3 virticle markings on thew north face, I looked below my butt and saw the same 3 maRkings, near "rattlesnake mountain" not rattlesnake canyon. The spot I was sitting had a 200lbs rock on the waters edge with a quarts cluster wedged under it facing east... any onl lost stashes out that way?

temujin sage
08-28-2011, 06:35 AM
As far as sycamore is concerned, I have hiked that forever changing landscape for many years and have only come across an old mine once, it sits high up on the slope within the first 1.5 mile trail, it opens into a vast cavern if you venture straight up, but dead ends under an old spring.