PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio area

whatimagination
12-18-2006, 09:37 AM
Hello all!

I'm heading down to San Antonio next week and am planning a photo day. I was hoping for some clues on the location of some Wilson county GT's I'd seen mentioned. Like - Verdi, Hackberry, Blackhill, Zunkerville...

Now, being new to this forum I've yet to get a feel for how it's members operate. ie - how open y'all are with information and directions. Some other forums I frequent are very suspicious of newbies and tend to keep most locations closely guarded secrets. So please bear with me until I get a bit more acclimated. :)

I'm a graphic designer with a great interest in history and the photographic preservation of the abandoned and forgotten parts of that history.

So if anyone can lend me some directions - in this thread or by PM - I'd greatly appreciate it.

thank you :)

old judge
12-18-2006, 12:31 PM
Hey What... We got a Verdi and Black Hill in Atascosa Co., a Hackberry in Lavaca Co., and a Zunkerville in Karnes Co., all close, but not Wilson County. If I'm on the right track, let me know and I'll help you out, even though you're from Texas. I assume you couldn't help it. If somebody else wants to jump in and save me from myself by giving this gent a hand, feel free. OJ..... By the way, really like your photo work....:cool:

old judge
12-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Ooooops........:D

whatimagination
12-18-2006, 12:57 PM
thank you.

Well that would explain why I couldn't find those towns in Wilson county. :rolleyes: I thought I had read in someone's post that that's where they were. My bad.

I had planned on going to Sutherland Springs to photograph these bank ruins - http://www.texasescapes.com/TOWNS/Texas_ghost_towns/SutherlandSpringsTexas/SutherlandSprings.htm

(Hopefully they're still there - those photos are from 2000) And was looking for some more locations in the area. Anyone know of some that would be worth the trip?

I just re-found - http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/index.html

Very good site for Texas info. If I had found that yesterday I would have known those towns weren't in Wilson County. :D

whatimagination
12-18-2006, 01:16 PM
...even though you're from Texas. I assume you couldn't help it.

Ha! Nope couldn't help it. This is where the job was. I do like it here though. I'm actually from California and grew up in Idaho. So i've bounced around a little bit. :D

speedy
12-19-2006, 02:33 PM
What, there some South of Wilson Co. if you are interested....and OJ, some of us are stuck here because we are too poor to travel North.....Speedy

old judge
12-19-2006, 06:10 PM
Speedy..No old P-2 Neptune guy is unable to move to God's country, unless he's unwilling to move to God's country. Come on up. Us Okies are willin' to welcome most anyone who see's the light, even Texans and Arkies..Lord, if my Grandparents had decided they were too poor to hook up the mule to the wagon and move on, I'd be postin' from Lawrence County, Ark. tonight...OJ

HollyDolly
12-20-2006, 06:18 AM
:D I'll have to look at my county maps if I still have them.If you take Texas Highway 97 to Floresville,I guess about 5 miles from there on your left hand side,is a Highway sign pointing to Marcellina.It mainly consists of a church and maybe a few buildings I understand.Have not been there.The community of Mound Creek used to have a sign,but no more,and seems to now mainly consist of the cemetery.Sweet Home in Guadalupe County is a small black community founded after the Civil War.It is located on Sweet Home Road.It once had a highway sign ,but it too is gone.However people still live there.
The community of Hilda in Guadalupe county was located near Short Cut Rd.out towards McQueeny.There is no trace of the place anymore.You drive right past the area on FM78.

whatimagination
12-20-2006, 06:27 AM
thank you. :)

I've been researching and have come up with a handful of possibilities around Floresville. I'll add Marcellina and Mound Creek. :D

And then next week after I'm back I'll make a report and share what I found.

Happy Hunting!

whatimagination
12-28-2006, 09:43 AM
found a few interesting things around in the San Antonio area - here's a preview.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d25/whatimagination/1_gate2.jpg