PDA

View Full Version : Can we delete our own post?

LauraA
12-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Have I lost it or did we once have the ability to delete our own posts? I looked for the delete button, but can't find it. Anybody seen it anywhere? :confused:

GaryB
12-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Go to your post and click the "edit" button. On the gray box for editing, you'll see the buttons in the lower right that say "save" "cancel" "delete", etc. Click delete and enter a reason if you like and it's gone except for the "deleted indication" like the one above.

I can't remember if others can still read what you wrote, but Admin and Mods can. I've been dumping the older ones (make them completely removed) as I come across them just to clean things up.

old judge
12-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Gary..I agree with Laura..Something has changed. I went to delete a post yesterday when I accidentally posted twice, and had to just physically erase it. Backspace, backspace, backspace, etc. Even then I had to use "save changes" and then type a little filler 'cause the post was then too short. Am I just as goofy as Laura is??? OJ :eek:

LauraA
12-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Gary..I agree with Laura..Something has changed. I went to delete a post yesterday when I accidentally posted twice, and had to just physically erase it. Backspace, backspace, backspace, etc. Even then I had to use "save changes" and then type a little filler 'cause the post was then too short. Am I just as goofy as Laura is??? OJ :eek:

OJ :p
Gary, I don't have the delete button any longer either.

GaryB
12-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Am I just as goofy as Laura is??? OJ :eek:

I'd say goofier :p Sorry, couldn't resist.

I checked and everyone is set to modify their own posts. The "edit" function was changed since the new last update (which was when the multi-quote was added) so maybe that's what's throwing you off if you haven't tried to delete lately?

I posted my post, then went back and edited it with out issues. You do have to "edit" it now, as opposed to just "deleting" it like you could before IIRC. Did you try doing it the way I described?

LauraA
12-19-2006, 01:30 PM
I just tried it again. I hit "edit"...no delete button, then I hit "go advanced" still no delete button....is it printed in vanishing ink? :D

GaryB
12-19-2006, 01:35 PM
I found it, it looks like general populace has been changed to "can't delete". It's hard trying to see things from your view as everything is different on this end now :o I know all your dirty little secrets :D

I'll message and see if it's been set that way (I know some folks abused it not too long ago) and go from there. It might be a default setting from the last update.

Ghosttowns.com
12-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Users no longer have the ability to delete their posts on purpose - this is the standard with forums and we want to keep it this way - we dont want posts being deleted like that - for example, you folks complained when a guy was making posts that were agitating others - by the time we went to look at it, it was gone so you had this whole thread about something that wasnt even there anymore - so only admins/moderators can delete posts - if you want something deleted you would have to ask them to delete it for you and then they would determine if the reason for deleting was justified or if someone was just trying to hide something or whatever - hope that makes sense

LauraA
12-19-2006, 01:41 PM
I know all your dirty little secrets :D

Do you take tips?...or should I call it hush money? ;) :D

GaryB
12-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Users no longer have the ability to delete their posts on purpose - this is the standard with forums and we want to keep it this way - we dont want posts being deleted like that - for example, you folks complained when a guy was making posts that were agitating others - by the time we went to look at it, it was gone so you had this whole thread about something that wasnt even there anymore - so only admins/moderators can delete posts - if you want something deleted you would have to ask them to delete it for you and then they would determine if the reason for deleting was justified or if someone was just trying to hide something or whatever - hope that makes sense

Man everyone is here posting all at once :eek:

Good time to fire up the chat room.

LauraA
12-19-2006, 01:47 PM
If we screw up and double post do you want us to ask you to remove the double, or should we leave it alone? It happens here occasionally cause I sometimes get a slowdown with this dial-up connection and I wind up with the same post, twice.

GaryB
12-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Do you take tips?...or should I call it hush money? ;) :D

I'm a a lowly worker bee state employee, I can't take bribes. At least until I'm higher up the food chain. Maybe when I'm governor or senator ;)

You secrets are safe with me, no one will know about your clown fetish.

Oops :o

GaryB
12-19-2006, 01:55 PM
If we screw up and double post do you want us to ask you to remove the double, or should we leave it alone? It happens here occasionally cause I sometimes get a slowdown with this dial-up connection and I wind up with the same post, twice.

AFAIC: You can PM me and I'll get it if you want to make sure someone sees it. Or you can erase it the long way, alter it to say "remove", etc. Or if you don't care, leave it. We have a few dead/double posts around here already.

And don't feel bad, sometimes with my T1 connection, I get held up by busy signals and multi-post by getting frustrated and smacking the "post" button continuously.

Ghosttowns.com
12-19-2006, 01:56 PM
I would lay off the double whisky in order to avoide your double posting and if that doesnt work I would send the dialup back to the dinosaurs and buy something from this millenium - you can get hughes in your area and there are a few others up and coming... or next time you drive to phx, just lay a long cable behind your jeep as you go and when you get to phx you can connect up to cox :)

LauraA
12-19-2006, 01:57 PM
You secrets are safe with me, no one will know about your clown fetish.
Oops :o

:o :o I'm sooo busted. heh heh :cool:

LauraA
12-19-2006, 02:01 PM
I would lay off the double whisky in order to avoide your double posting and if that doesnt work I would send the dialup back to the dinosaurs and buy something from this millenium - you can get hughes in your area and there are a few others up and coming... or next time you drive to phx, just lay a long cable behind your jeep as you go and when you get to phx you can connect up to cox :)

What's hughes? The only thing available is satellite (very pricey, requiring a long contract and my first-born) through some outfit in Payson or dial-up. :(

Ghosttowns.com
12-19-2006, 02:05 PM
Hughes is the satellite - 69 or 99 per month

these guys do wireless in payson

http://www.cbiwireless.com/index.html

they might have service where you are at - 49/month

LauraA
12-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Thanks Todd, I'll check into it. We can always cut back on food to pay for a good internet connection. :D

GaryB
12-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks Todd, I'll check into it. We can always cut back on food to pay for a good internet connection. :D

The plasma bank pays, or so I hear :D

That's the one thing I'm worried about when I move to BFN is a good internet connection. They have two cups and a string (dial up) and satellite, but I'm hear there's wireless coming soon. Hopefully it gets there before me.

Ghosttowns.com
12-19-2006, 02:17 PM
well priorities priorities - when you get up whats first, ghost towns forum or cofee... see what I mean?

LauraA
12-19-2006, 02:25 PM
The plasma bank pays, or so I hear :D
My blood is too thin...you wanna donate for me?

That's the one thing I'm worried about when I move to BFN is a good internet connection. They have two cups and a string (dial up) and satellite, but I'm hear there's wireless coming soon. Hopefully it gets there before me. If all else fails, mice on a treadmill can be used to substitute for the cups and string.

well priorities priorities - when you get up whats first, ghost towns forum or cofee... see what I mean?
Morning routine, turn on computer, THEN turn on coffee pot, then pray I can get connected to the internet. I can drink tea, but there's no substitute for my daily fix of the Ghost Town Forum. :o

old judge
12-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Yeah, where the elite meet to greet...OJ:)

Gravelrash
11-13-2007, 02:19 PM

LOL - I was just back-tracking to find out how to delete a "photo test" I posted and came on this..... love the priorities Laura.
I'm the same as a lot of folks here, it seems. First thing has always been retrieve emails and then the kettle goes on. Nowadays it's gt.com, then kettle and emails later!
No use talking to me until I've had at least 3 cups of really strong (2 T-bags, 1 sugar) brew in the morning.

Still can't delete?
I took your advice about using "Paint" to re-size photos and realised the piccie I sent of Whiskey was too small, so I did some more resizing and posted it to see how things fared..... and now it's there for ever!

Interesting to learn that we Aussies aren't the only people to suffer from bad connection speeds. You just tend to think, "It's America. Everything would be whizz-bang". Apparently not?
I'm really loving the broadband where I live. 4 years of dial-up sent me bonkers. Best Internet we ever had was in Thailand, would you believe!
The former Prime Minister of Thailand , Taksin Shinawatra(removed in a coup last year) is the CEO/owner of ShinWat Telecommunications, so as a vote-buyer for Bangkok's middle-class, they had "you-beaut" internet aeons ago.
So much for "Third World" hey?!:rolleyes:

GaryB
11-13-2007, 04:11 PM
You can't delete, but you can edit a post. You can remove the pic, but not edit it once it's been posted.

LauraA
11-13-2007, 04:51 PM
LOL I believe it's called internet addiction and this forum is enabling us to get our daily fix.
Our slow dial-up internet connection seems to be the only game in town. We had another ISP but they got tired of the constant problems and pulled out without giving us any notice. We went to sign online one morning, heard the usual waawahhhbzzzz modem sounds and then a voice, "the number you have reached is no longer in service"...TOTAL PANIC! After much phoning and scrambling around, we were able to get a more expensive but equally as unreliable connection through our phone company. The connection fails on a daily basis, at the most inopportune moment, usually when I'm doing something without saving it. Satellite is now available out here, it's very expensive, and certainly not within our budget...unless we can learn to share food with the Schnauzer. We've read that there's a government grant floating around that will be used to bring the modern world's technology to rural locations, hopefully our area will be included in that.
Meanwhile....1198

Gravelrash
11-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Addiction is probably too mild a term for my habit, Laura. But, shoot, why not. I've been to New Mexico today and I've also climbed Mt Everest 3 times this week!!!
I'm planning another expedition later on tonight!:p

bad bob
11-13-2007, 11:49 PM
Addiction is probably too mild a term for my habit, Laura. But, shoot, why not. I've been to New Mexico today and I've also climbed Mt Everest 3 times this week!!!
I'm planning another expedition later on tonight!:p

Try Venice, Italy. You can almost sit down in one of those gondolas, just watch out for the bridges. :eek:

Also, you can just about get out on top of the Eiffel Tower in Paree.

A GE journey that takes forever, is following the Mississippi or Missouri rivers, from pretty close in. I found the immense "barges related" industries along these rivers to be far more than I imagined. I only got about 1/3 of the way up from New Orleans, and some places had numerous barges docked at nearly every bend, and in between. Also saw several individual boats going up or down. Too far away to see any "baiters" though.

bad bob
11-14-2007, 10:16 AM
LOL I believe it's called internet addiction and this forum is enabling us to get our daily fix.
Our slow dial-up internet connection seems to be the only game in town. We had another ISP but they got tired of the constant problems and pulled out without giving us any notice. We went to sign online one morning, heard the usual waawahhhbzzzz modem sounds and then a voice, "the number you have reached is no longer in service"...TOTAL PANIC! After much phoning and scrambling around, we were able to get a more expensive but equally as unreliable connection through our phone company. The connection fails on a daily basis, at the most inopportune moment, usually when I'm doing something without saving it. Satellite is now available out here, it's very expensive, and certainly not within our budget...unless we can learn to share food with the Schnauzer. We've read that there's a government grant floating around that will be used to bring the modern world's technology to rural locations, hopefully our area will be included in that.
Meanwhile....1198

Before I forget (again), the partial newspaper story from you, and the grave marker from Brian were extremely impressive. I've seen mock-ups coming out of mspaint or other programs, but nothing as realistic as these two. I doff my hat to both of your superior computerpersonship.

I also thought about not posting msgs for awhile to complete the outstanding effect, but I'm weak..... no.... I'm daid, I'm really really daid!

Gravelrash
11-14-2007, 01:36 PM
I also thought about not posting msgs for awhile to complete the outstanding effect, but I'm weak..... no.... I'm daid, I'm really really daid!

See.... I told ya!

GaryB
11-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Before I forget (again), the partial newspaper story from you,

PFFFT! She stole that from me. **** sneaky seniors!

BTW Laura, what was that site again? My PC crashed last week and I haven't gotten all my old links transferred over to the new one yet. If I can ever that is. Sucks too because I got a lot of pics on it :(

LauraA
11-15-2007, 03:12 PM
PFFFT! She stole that from me. **** sneaky seniors!

BTW Laura, what was that site again? My PC crashed last week and I haven't gotten all my old links transferred over to the new one yet. If I can ever that is. Sucks too because I got a lot of pics on it :(

heh heh you **** young whippersnapper. :D
Sorry to hear 'bout your PC crash, hate when that happens. I'll PM the link to you...we don't wanna give away any secrets.;)

GaryB
11-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Yeah, but now I'm upgraded to a bigger screen, better sound system and newer technology. Not that any of my other stuff was junk. It's just for some reason computer deaths are never convenient :o