PDA

View Full Version : Brunkow's Cabin near Tombstone

bearpaw
12-30-2006, 06:07 PM
Hi everyone,
I have tried a couple times to find this cabin on Charleston Road between Sierra Vista and Tombstone. We thought we found adobe ruins today on the Brunkow Rd. but after reading more I'm not so sure we found it at all. Everyone says about Mile 8, cross the cattle guard and you're there.
Is it located on Brunkow Road?
I'd love to hear from folks who have found it.
Peg

brian10x
12-31-2006, 03:09 AM
Hi everyone,
I have tried a couple times to find this cabin on Charleston Road between Sierra Vista and Tombstone. We thought we found adobe ruins today on the Brunkow Rd. but after reading more I'm not so sure we found it at all. Everyone says about Mile 8, cross the cattle guard and you're there.
Is it located on Brunkow Road?
I'd love to hear from folks who have found it.
Peg

I'm sorry if this dosen't help you, but its one of the places I've never looked for because it looks like almost nothing remains.

Philip Varney's book has similar directions "The ruins are situated on a knoll 8 miles southwest of Tombstone, just before the road crosses the second cattle guard."

If I were looking for it, I would try to find Charleston Road from Tombstone. Two cattle guards later, bingo! (I would assume)

Of course, if there is already a Brunkow road, I think its safe to assume you found it.

Good luck!

bearpaw
01-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Thanks, Brian, for your help. I think we did OK turning on Brunckow Road but we stopped at the top of the hill and should have driven on down about 600 yards. At least I think that's where the cabin ruins are located. We're going to give it another go. The old adobe ruins at the parking lot were interesting but obviously not the cabin.
Peg

brian10x
01-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks, Brian, for your help. I think we did OK turning on Brunckow Road but we stopped at the top of the hill and should have driven on down about 600 yards. At least I think that's where the cabin ruins are located. We're going to give it another go. The old adobe ruins at the parking lot were interesting but obviously not the cabin.
Peg
Peg,
They say Brunkow's cabin is haunted. If you get there and are acosted by apparitions of long-dead deperados, then I think its safe to say you found it.

bearpaw
01-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Hi Brian,
Well, we think we finally located it and while we didn't sense any "visitors" about, my friend said he felt he was being watched as he climbed the nearby hill. Watched by the nearby ranch, that is.
The ruins were well worth the effort to find. Making a combo trip of hiking on the San Pedro into the Millville ruins and petroglyphs after finding the cabin made a fine, fine day in Arizona.:)
Peg

scotydntkno
02-14-2010, 08:39 AM
ive been here twice went last night around 130 am first off go with a girl brunkow the spirit that resides on that property HATES females we went there and you will almost always see a man following you where we parked we had to walk thru the wash or gully or whatever past the open mine shaft as soon as we got thru the gully noticable temp drop heard voices telling us to get out when my girlfriends went into the cabin they also touched her not harmful but just to scare her. i also heard of an old slavehouse in tombstone can anybody get me info on it

Sunrise
02-17-2010, 06:03 PM
i herd the old slave house is near the intersection of punkchewation ave and runon street

Vulture
02-17-2010, 07:47 PM
i herd the old slave house is near the intersection of punkchewation ave and runon street

Yetz, wen i buy da hare on my knuckles standing up!

<

ghost_town_girl77
04-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Brunknow's Cabin is just a pile of adobe ruins now. I went there about a year and half ago and we had to use the GPS to make sure that we found it. My husband and I drove by it once before and we both joked as we drove off "Wouldn't it be funny if it was that pile of rocks on the side of the road"....it was. Just turn down Brunknow Rd. and keep an eye on the right hand side of the road. You'll see a pile of rocks/dirt. Once you get out the car you'll be able to see the threshold where the door used to be and what is left of the foundation. There is also a bunch of old trash around but I suspect all of the really old stuff has been picked off long ago. Who would want to take it anyway? You don't want bad juju following you home:cool:

Vulture
04-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Hello GT Girl. I don't think you were at the Brunckow cabin in your picture, but you're very close. I have been there a couple of times. The old adobe ruin you are pictured at is near telephone & power lines, & only a couple hundred feet off the Charleston Rd (as shown on topo.) This is a later mining operation site which also has some concrete pilings of a small mill.I think this is where your picture was taken. The original cabin is closer to the river & on the south side of the sandy wash on a hill top. It is easily identifiable by the remains of a concrete fireplace there. It can be seen from the Charleston Rd.

I'm glad to see other folks with interest in this subject.