PDA

View Full Version : Last surviving resident of Sumica,FL

Mike Woodfin
01-09-2007, 08:10 PM
About a month ago I was contacted by retired Dr. Roger Scott, 82 years old. He was curious about how I knew of Sumica, FL. I told him of my research and he told me that his Dad owned the Sumica sawmill and he is probably the only living resident, born there in 1924. I contacted the Polk County Land Management office and told them. They had little to no information on Sumica but Dr. Scott was an encyclopedia. Today we 4-wheeled it out to the site and had a great day taking him back to his birthplace. He had never been, but had managed to get within a 1/4 mile of the middle of his Dad's sawmill about 10 years ago. A newspaper and TV news team accompanied us on the visit. There should be a newspaper write up. I Will post it as soon as it is published. Guys, this can be more than just a hobby.
Mike Woodfin
Valrico, FL

GaryB
01-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Good story, and so true. My mother was born in a ghost town in Idaho, and has no memory of it as she left very early. Her parents were Hungarian hard rock miners that traveled to where ever the latest good claim was. I'm trying to get there to at least take pictures to show her what it looks like today.

Not too long ago she had to contact Idaho State to help get proof to prove that the town once existed so she could prove she was not only born there, but a legal US citizen :rolleyes:

Mike Woodfin
01-15-2007, 07:17 PM
Here is the article I promised about the visit to Sumica, FL by Dr. Roger Scott. He is the only living resident and had never visited. Follow the link to the newspaper article. There also is an accompanying slideshow.
http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070114/NEWS/701140350/1326

PepperPhil
02-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Great info... interesting read

:cool:

bad bob
02-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Eye reeley h8 spammers.

brian10x
02-09-2007, 04:14 AM
Bumpin' but I'd rather be shootin'

NWNative
02-09-2007, 09:27 AM
What ghost town in Idaho was your mother born in?

NWNative
02-09-2007, 09:29 AM
I've been reading a book that my great grandmother wrote and had published for the family. She grew up in Nebraska and tells about the town she lived in. She recalled the buildings, streets, where things were and the place names they used for hills and creeks and such.

It's amazing. I think a trip to Nebraska is in my future.

GaryB
02-09-2007, 03:12 PM
What ghost town in Idaho was your mother born in?

Mine? Atlanta, ID.

NWNative
02-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Atlanta? We were there about 6 years ago. At the time there were a number of people living there. It suprises me that she had to get proof that the town existed.
I don't have pictures. When we stopped we needed water. The only place open was a bar/mini-mart with a bunch of deliverance Hells Angels on the front porch. We drove through town but everyone stopped and stared at us, it felt really creepy and I just wanted to go!
We did go through Rocky Bar and I've got pictures of that. Great town! The last living resident had left (died?) maybe within the last year.

Here's a couple of pics:
http://www.atlantaidaho.org/index.html
http://www.mtnhomesd.org/atlanta/atlanta.htm

(I'm sure that the people there are just normal fine people. I didn't mean to sound so snarky. At the time I had new baby, was sleep deprived and we had just driven one of the worst stretches of back road in a Ford Taurus wagon that wasn't built for it. My perceptions may have been a bit skewed!)

n26w80
03-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Mike:
Heartwarming article about another lost community here in Florida, and no doubt a high moment in Dr. Scott's life. So what led you to the discover the place?

I just visited Citrus Center and Old Venus near Lake Okeechobee last weekend. Glad to say that "nothing" has changed at CC, but the old homestead at OV looks just a bit worse after Wilma came through in '05.
Bob

Mike Woodfin
03-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Actually, I think I read about it in an old newspaper article. I went to a nearby ranger station and he told me to follow a particular fence row for about a mile and I would be in the middle of the town. That was not a good idea, swamp, bugs, snakes, etc. I found a county extention agent sign on or near the property, called them and left a message telling them what my intentions were. Photography and History. They returned called, met me there a week later and took me in with 4-wheelers. I have never seen so many mosquitos in my life. Walking in would have been impossible. Never-the-less, that was several years ago until Dr. Scott stumbled on the Ghosttowns site and gave me a call. The rest is in the article.
Mike