PDA

View Full Version : Camp Reno

LauraA
01-18-2007, 03:54 AM
Camp Reno was established by the 1st Cavalry in 1867 and abandoned in 1870. It was an outpost of Fort McDowell and was intended to establish a military presence in Tonto Basin and surrounding areas due to the problems settlers and ranchers were having with regular raids by the Apaches. The actual orders from General McDowell to the 1st Cavalry Captain simply stated,
"You will order that, in making these shelters, the commanding officer shall put them up in the order of time prescribed in General Orders No. 39, for the huts to be built at the camp to be established northeast from Fort McDowell, (Camp Reno). The same provisions as to extra pay to the enlisted men, therein made, will apply in the case of the new camp. I have not authorized more permanent quarters than those which the men could make by their own labor, with the materials at hand, because it was not known, nor could it be ascertained at once where permanent posts would be required. The population in this country is so fluctuating (on account of the uncertainty of mining operations), that it frequently happens that before a permanent post is finished the necessity for it has ceased."
Since the Camp was only operational for three years, one would assume that the "necessity for it had ceased" however, it is speculated that because of the remoteness of the camp, the high cost of supplying the camp was more likely the reason for its demise. The 1st Cavalry proved to be effective in curtailing the murderous raids during the three years they were encamped on a mesa at the foot of what is now Reno Pass.
Forest Service maps indicate Camp Reno being located at the foot of the mesa, but in actuality, that is not the correct location. The location marked by a sign is actually the location of a Sutler's Store, a general store which was built by locals to supply the needs of the camp and surrounding settlers. Not much remains today of either Camp Reno or the Sutler's Store. The area the store was in contains just a few concrete slabs and a spring. The remains of the camp are a bit harder to spot because they aren't marked but you can still see the stones in place outlining the places where the 1st Cavalry had their tents erected.
We hiked the area yesterday and found an old cemetery in the foothills. The entire area was severely damaged by wildfires a few years ago. Although there's not much to see, it's still fun to visit the area and speculate on what it must have been like.
For anyone interested, directions are below.
Directions:
From 188 at Punkin Center to the area called "Camp Reno" (in reality the general store area) on FR 409 by the forest service is about 3-ish miles. It's fenced in barbed wire and has a sign at the entrance erected by the Boy Scouts. The surrounding areas were severely damaged by the big fire, but finally beginning to show some green again. From 188 take 409 and stay on it, the road will split and one unnumbered road goes down to the wash, the site of a few skirmishes between the soldiers and the Apaches. (a fairly nice shaded spot to picnic) the road you want, bears right.
The true area of Camp Reno, FR 524, is a bit further, depending on the road condition, it'll take 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. You'll need to look to your left when you get to the plateau area of the mesa, look for rock piles. This spot overlooks the area where the general store was located, but you can't access one area from the other because Camp Reno was located on the mesa plateau with a steep hill and a creek bed between. I suspect when the camp was operational, they probably had stairs built to get down to the store. There's not a lot to see in either location, but a lot of history took place there and we always like to imagine what it must have been like. Both areas are open (as of two weeks ago) The electric company has been in there laying underground power lines, so they've smoothed the road out considerably but four wheel drive is still recommended.

Cemetery near Camp Reno
This wall was probably used to protect against Apache attacks
In actuality, this is not Camp Reno but instead is the site of a Sutler's General Store
The spring at the Sutler's Store

Kelly
01-18-2007, 05:40 AM
Thanks for the photos and trip report Laura, Its been so cold here,That I can't wait for it to warm up a bit so the wife and I can hit the dirt roads and find some neat stuff.:)

speedy
01-18-2007, 06:44 AM
Really nice, Laura...Thanks a lot for sharing....Speedy

LauraA
01-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the photos and trip report Laura, Its been so cold here,That I can't wait for it to warm up a bit so the wife and I can hit the dirt roads and find some neat stuff.:)
It's been cold here too, but it's still the best time to be in the desert. (sure beats 110 degree summer temps) We wear ski masks when there's a chill factor, probably looking a lot like bank robbers. :D

Really nice, Laura...Thanks a lot for sharing....Speedy
Glad you enjoyed it! :)

brian10x
01-19-2007, 04:16 AM
Laura,
You guys really kick ***! You must explore about 10 times as many places as the rest of us!

LauraA
01-19-2007, 06:04 AM
Laura,
You guys really kick ***! You must explore about 10 times as many places as the rest of us!
We're retired, it makes a difference. When we were still working explorations were few and far between. You guys just keep on working... ya gotta keep paying into OUR social security. ;)

Johnnie
01-19-2007, 07:14 AM
We're retired, it makes a difference. When we were still working explorations were few and far between. You guys just keep on working... ya gotta keep paying into OUR social security
. ;)

Great pictures and thanks for the history lesson Laura, We are back from a bout with colds :eek: and plan to check in more often.

Sheila & Johnnie

LauraA
01-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Johnnie & Sheila, Glad you're feeing better. Had I known you were sick with colds I would have e-mailed you some of my homemade chicken soup....Jewish Penicillin ;)

Johnnie
01-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Johnnie & Sheila, Glad you're feeing better. Had I known you were sick with colds I would have e-mailed you some of my homemade chicken soup....Jewish Penicillin ;)

Thanks for the thinking of us Laura. Just getting back in swing of posting seemed to help alot.

Speaking of soup when you were a New Yorker did you ever try that place Steinfeld,and George and Kramer, bragged about the great "Soup kitchen of New York." They always said that the soup not only taste good but would cured anything. We love to have those receipes. Wondering if there was such a place?;)

Johnnie & Sheila

LauraA
01-19-2007, 03:29 PM
If that place did exist, it was probably long after I'd left the Bronx. We did have some super delis though with some really great soups (but nothing better than my Mama's soup) .... hmmm now I'm hungry! :D

old judge
01-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Laura: We're all thankful you left the Bronx. It was certainly the Bronx' loss. And to Kelly, ..Where do you think that weather goes when it leaves Socorro??? Geez, it's getting colder by the minute. OJ and his shivvering Bride.:cool:

LauraA
01-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Thanks OJ, I'm sure glad I left the Bronx too.
Did you get hit with the terrible ice storm we've been seeing on the news? Stay warm! :)

Kelly
01-19-2007, 08:09 PM
Laura: We're all thankful you left the Bronx. It was certainly the Bronx' loss. And to Kelly, ..Where do you think that weather goes when it leaves Socorro??? Geez, it's getting colder by the minute. OJ and his shivvering Bride.:cool:

Old Judge,
Its snowing like heck here now,Look out for it, its a big storm.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/krtoydriver/minerfun1.gif

old judge
01-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Yeah, we've got a mess here. Schools here and about have been closed for 4 days, and we were hit lighter than most. Tens of thousands still w/o power se of here. And yes Kelly, your mess is due here tomorrow. At any rate, leaves some time for trip planning. I think its off to southern NM when weather permits.

bad bob
01-19-2007, 09:17 PM
If that place did exist, it was probably long after I'd left the Bronx. We did have some super delis though with some really great soups (but nothing better than my Mama's soup) .... hmmm now I'm hungry! :D

The soup kitchen was indeed a real place. There was a documentary style program (or some such) that showed the actual place, and the owner, that was the inspiration for the tv "virgin". I don't recall if the owner supposedly ran his store like the tv "soup nazi" on Seinfeld. Production more than likely twisted that in, to jazz it up a bit.
bb.

LauraA
01-20-2007, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the clarification Bad Bob. In my opinion, Nu Yawk City does have the best foods anywhere even if you have to tollerate the Nu Yawk attitude to get it. :rolleyes:

Johnnie & Sheila, Here's Mama's Chicken Soup recipe. :)

One whole chicken cut up

4 stalks celery, cut into 4 pieces each

1 large onion cut in half

3 large carrots cut in half

4 cloves garlic

salt

black pepper

cooked noodles, rice or ***matzoh balls

In large pot, heat 12 cups of water to boil.
Add celery and all of chicken to water.
Reduce heat to medium low and simmer uncovered until breasts and thighs are cooked and meat begins to loosen from the bone.
Remove breasts and thighs and set aside to cool.
Add onion, carrots and garlic to water.
Cook uncovered for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Strain broth into bowl and skim off fat.
Discard all solids except for carrots.
Cut breasts and thigh meat into bite size pieces, discarding all skin, fat and bones.
Cut carrots into small cubes.
Add meat and carrots to broth, season to taste
Add noodles, rice or ***matzoh balls, I use egg noodles, my matzoh balls taste like rolled wallpaper paste and could probably be used as lead sinkers. :eek:

Johnnie
01-20-2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the clarification Bad Bob. In my opinion, Nu Yawk City does have the best foods anywhere even if you have to tollerate the Nu Yawk attitude to get it. :rolleyes:

Johnnie & Sheila, Here's Mama's Chicken Soup recipe. :)

One whole chicken cut up

4 stalks celery, cut into 4 pieces each

1 large onion cut in half

3 large carrots cut in half

4 cloves garlic

salt

black pepper

cooked noodles, rice or ***matzoh balls

In large pot, heat 12 cups of water to boil.
Add celery and all of chicken to water.
Reduce heat to medium low and simmer uncovered until breasts and thighs are cooked and meat begins to loosen from the bone.
Remove breasts and thighs and set aside to cool.
Add onion, carrots and garlic to water.
Cook uncovered for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Strain broth into bowl and skim off fat.
Discard all solids except for carrots.
Cut breasts and thigh meat into bite size pieces, discarding all skin, fat and bones.
Cut carrots into small cubes.
Add meat and carrots to broth, season to taste
Add noodles, rice or ***matzoh balls, I use egg noodles, my matzoh balls taste like rolled wallpaper paste and could probably be used as lead sinkers. :eek:

Thanks for taking time to print that recipe out. Laura, Sounds great, on some of these real cold rainy days we are having lately.:)

Johnnie & Sheila

Johnnie
01-20-2007, 09:22 AM
The soup kitchen was indeed a real place. There was a documentary style program (or some such) that showed the actual place, and the owner, that was the inspiration for the tv "virgin". I don't recall if the owner supposedly ran his store like the tv "soup nazi" on Seinfeld. Production more than likely twisted that in, to jazz it up a bit.
bb.

Thanks Bob, another friend of, ours just e-mailed us about that the Soup kitchen, on
Seinfeld, was "real" just as you mentioned.

Seinfeld was and still is one of our favorite all time comedies. along with "King of Queens"

Thanks
Johnnie & Sheila

old judge
01-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Laura..That Chicken soup recipe is certainly a reminder of my Grandma's Arkansas Chicken Soup recipe. It also reminds of my other Grandma's Missouri Chicken soup Recipe. My great Grandma had a chicken soup recipe much like you have, from Kansas. The main change I made, with all due respect to my Grandmas and Great Grandmas, was to substitute "one beeve" for "uno chicken"...Course then you got to kick up the rest of the recipe accordingly...It'll work, I guaranteeeee. Oh, a little more pepper. OJ

ghamilton
01-20-2007, 11:23 AM
THE DISH REALLY NEEDS WHOLE WHEAT NOODLES FOR THE FIBER SENIOR CITIZENS NEED>I try to avoid all WHITE carbs as if the devil herself was offering the product.The more garlic,the more good it will do you in your hour of real need.Nobody is going to want to get near you anyway.

LauraA
01-20-2007, 04:04 PM
OJ, I'll make a note of "more pepper." but how can I put one beeve in chicken soup? Wouldn't it then become beeve soup? :confused: :D

ghamilton, I prefer the white carbs but I will take your advice and add more garlic, afterall, one never knows when a stray vampire might be lurking. ;)

wyattphx
10-09-2012, 06:34 PM
I've enjoyed reading all the postings. My great-great grandfather was Ranse Moore, who purchased Reno from the army and moved there from California in 1883. 2 of my mom's uncles were born at the Reno ranch; the family (my great-grandfather) moved over Reno pass and settled above Sunflower, and then eventially moved and created the Box Bar Ranch (what is now Rio Verde). I've still managed to never make it up to Reno so I'm glad to see photos and stories from everyone who has managed to make the trip.