PDA

View Full Version : Slighville graveyard, Lake County Florida

mainmanwalkin
01-20-2007, 04:06 PM
Has anyone found the Slighville graveyard? The town was in Lake County, Florida, near Lake Griffin. There is a new Harbor Hills housing development in the area now too. I have spent hours searching the area without any luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

n26w80
03-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Hi: This from an article dated 2002...
Company evaluates area for remnants of graves
About an hour south of Gainesville, near the west shore of Lake Griffin, once existed the settlement of Slighville.
Slighville, which boasted a handful of residents, a post office and a gristmill in the Civil War era, is now a ghost town that may or may not be the site of two ancient cemeteries.
South Arc, a Gainesville archaeological company, is currently searching the desolate area for any remnants of graves. The company is evaluating the area at the request of Harbor Hills, a community adjacent to Lake Griffin.
South Arc has visited the Slighville site numerous times to dig trenches and sample soils, Dickinson said. If the archaeological firm finds human remains, the relics must be moved to another location because of Florida law.
Sam and Jake Sligh, owners of a stage coach line that ran from Leesburg to Ocala, founded Slighville shortly before the Civil War. The lifeblood of the now defunct town was the boat landing on Lake Griffin. But it was the arrival of a railroad in nearby Lady Lake that pushed the few community members to move.
Tracy Swartz

I found the article on this website.
Maybe a phone call to South Arc in Gainesville might do the trick?
http://www.alligator.org/edit/news/issues/02-summer/020808/news.html

Mike Woodfin
04-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Sorry this info took so long.

I just located this narrative in some research I dug up several years ago.

According to the Lady Lake Survey of 1994 there was a cemetery on the Slighville property of the postmistress Mrs. M.R. McKinney. The cemetery was located near the site of the original Sligh homestead. The graveyard originally was one acre of land with approximately 50 graves, surrounded by an iron fence. Apparently, Mr. McKinney was tired of chasing people off his cemetery property and reportedly took down all the headstones and monuments, removed the fence, plowed the graves under and planted orange trees over the site. :mad:

Good thing you can't do that today. At least, by law, your not supposed to.

Mike

mainmanwalkin
04-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Thanks Mike. We were right there back in December 2006, walking around by the orange trees trying to find something in the vacant land next to it. Didnt occur to us at the time that the graveyard was UNDER the orange trees!

Tsarevna
04-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Sorry this info took so long.

I just located this narrative in some research I dug up several years ago.

According to the Lady Lake Survey of 1994 there was a cemetery on the Slighville property of the postmistress Mrs. M.R. McKinney. The cemetery was located near the site of the original Sligh homestead. The graveyard originally was one acre of land with approximately 50 graves, surrounded by an iron fence. Apparently, Mr. McKinney was tired of chasing people off his cemetery property and reportedly took down all the headstones and monuments, removed the fence, plowed the graves under and planted orange trees over the site. :mad:

Good thing you can't do that today. At least, by law, your not supposed to.

Mike

Oh my God!! That's culture crime if I ever saw it! I'd still try to press charges just because hearing about that ****es me off! I wonder if the county government has to start court proceedings or if you can gather up historical society members and hire a lawyer to get things started? :confused: