PDA

View Full Version : Fairbank, Az.

Mini Me
01-20-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm planning a trip to Arizona in a couple of months and I was wondering about the sights of Fairbank and Charleston. Also if anyone could suggest any other worthwhile ghosttown stops in Arizona or New Mexico. I'm limited to paved or good dirt roads.

Total Wreck
01-21-2007, 08:10 AM
I'm planning a trip to Arizona in a couple of months and I was wondering about the sights of Fairbank and Charleston. Also if anyone could suggest any other worthwhile ghosttown stops in Arizona or New Mexico. I'm limited to paved or good dirt roads.

Fairbank is on the north side of state hwy 82, about 4 bldgs standing. The store had a wall collapse a few years ago & some of the other bldgs have been faked up with painted on windows. Still easy to reach & worth seeing.

Charleston is a 3/4 mile hike north of bridge on west side of river. Remains of aabout 10 bldgs can be made out as melted adobe walls.

Patagonia is a nice small town, see the map on website for points of interest to the south. Kentucky camp is worth seeing, they have a website.

Slaughter ranch 15 miles east of Douglas is authentic & well preserved. Get a cheeseburger at the Gadsen hotel in Douglas, they are great.

TW

old judge
01-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Minime: My middle son and I have two separate ideas about GTin'. He likes to head out, follow his nose to a Ghost Towny area, and search about. I prefer spending more time planning. With that said, considering your location in Odessa, and your ultimate destination, SE of Tucson, and your limitation to decent roads, I would suggest the planning route. If'n I were you, I would look at some likely routes into SE New Mexico, across the south 1/3 of that state, and into the Tombstone area. I would then use this site to look at each GT near my selected main path which appears to be worth a visit. I would make good use of the www.topozone.com (http://www.topozone.com) site to take a close look along my route, coordinating it with info from here. Also recommend a DeLorme Atlas for NM and AZ. When you've selected a number of encouraging sites, I suggest you visit county and local historical sites to learn a bit about the town, if possible. Finally, you might share your expected plan here, and ask for input from folks who may have firsthand knowledge of the locations you plan to visit. That way, possible correspondents will be assured that you've done your homework, and aren't just picking their brains. And thanks for your post on West Texas. Although I'm not a big Texas fan, I've found there is no good way to go W and SW from Oklahoma without going through Texas. Therefore, I've now purchased Mapsco's "The Roads of Texas", much like a DeLorme Atlas, and includes info on many Gts. I'll be through your part of the country as soon as weather permits. Good Luck and Good Hunting. OJ

Flatiron
01-21-2007, 08:58 AM
Don't forget to visit the Fairbank Cemetery North of town. It's only about a .75 mile hike on mostly flat ground. Have fun..........

Mini Me
01-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm not limiting myself to just the area around Fairbank. I'll be covering the whole state to see some old friends Jerome and Vulture to mention a couple. Basically I have three weeks to just drive and explore, and find some new old friends.

old judge
01-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Any friend of Jerome is a friend of mine, but I've had a difference or two with Vulture in the past. Good Luck. OJ

gyhooya
03-15-2007, 04:11 PM
We're planning a visit to Fairbank. We heard that someone is doing some restoration work there. Anyone have any updates before we go? Worth the trip?