PDA

View Full Version : Mine, what mine?

LauraA
01-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Well, if it's there, we can't find it. We made another unsuccessful attempt at finding Journigan Mine today. We did locate Journigan Spring, but if there's a mine nearby, we sure didn't find it. We went as far as we feel is humanly possible without even a sign that the area had ever been mined. We did pass an area where someone had evidentially looked for gold at one time from the looks of the quartz pile we found, but Journigan was supposed to be a lead mine. The terrain is really rough, mountainous with slippery rock and loads of cacti and prickly bushes. There are no trails, no paths, nothing but the wild Arizona scenery. Dang it, I hate to give up but for now I suppose we'll have to admit defeat. Ahhh..to be young and have boundless energy again. :( :o

This is my husband, Ralph on a hillside, pretty rough terrain and a long hike.

Toysx2
01-27-2007, 06:51 PM
Hi Laura,

Do you remember a few weeks ago that you were wondering whether having a gps would be useful or not? :) :)

Here are the co-ordinates for the Journigan Mine:
33 degrees 47' 52"
111 degrees 9' 53"

LauraA
01-27-2007, 10:14 PM
Toysx2, Thanks so much for the Journigan's coordinates...but what do I do with the numbers? I know nada about how to use GPS or the coordinates once I get them. (that's one reason we haven't pursued getting one) I guess you could say we're geographically challenged. :confused: :o :)

Toysx2
01-28-2007, 04:37 AM
Hi again Laura,

There are several things that can be done with the co-ordinates. The easiest thing to do might be just to write them down. Then turn on your GPS and let it lock on to the satellites and have it show your current position. Your task is now to move with your gps until the numbers on the display of the GPS match the numbers that you have written down. So how do you tell which direction to move to have that happen? As an example, the line that starts with 33 degrees above is indicating how far north of the equator that the mine is(its latitude)--if your equivalent line on the GPS display is less than that you need to move northward, if it is more you need to move southward. The second line that starts with 111 degrees is indicating how far west the mine is from 0 degrees longitude(Greenwich England sort of). If your equivalent reading on the GPS display is less than that you need to move westward, if it is more than that you need to move eastward. So you move east,west, north, south until you zero in--in looking for a mine, you should spot it before the numbers match exactly!! With experience, you'll be able to judge how far you'll have to move to get a certain amount of change in readings. HTH Toysx2

LauraA
01-28-2007, 06:39 AM
Toysx2, Again thanks so much! I think we're going to have to get with the program and get one of those new fangled doodads.
Is there a way to use those coordinates on a map to see if we're even in the right vicinity? We've tried to follow the maps as best we could, but there's always the chance we're missing something (like our destination) :D

speedy
01-28-2007, 06:55 AM
Laura, the 33-47-52 represent 33 degrees 47 minutes and 52 seconds of latitude. You can plot this position on a map. Just look for the numbers of latitude that are displayed on the map. A degree is 60 nautical miles a nautical mile is 6000 feet. A minute is 1 nautical mile , and a second is 100 feet. This is all predicated on my memory of Navy navigation school. Which may be + or - who knows what. The latitude is marked up and down the left or right side of the map, and the longitude is marked along the top or bottom. Good luck......Speedy

LauraA
01-28-2007, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the explanation Speedy! Now we understand what the numbers mean. We're going to hit it with our best shot and see if we can make sense of it. After 6 attempts at finding this place, we hate to give up now. :)

speedy
01-28-2007, 07:04 AM
Never give up.

old judge
01-28-2007, 08:13 AM
Hey Laura and Speedy: Go to www.topozone.com (http://www.topozone.com) , click on View Maps, go to bottom of page, insert Lat and Long. Click. Check it out. You're welcome. OJ By the way, the actual Longitude is 111 09 55, not 53.

Toysx2
01-28-2007, 08:42 AM
Hey Laura, I have a question for you. How did you determine that the mine was supposed to be a Lead producer? A database that I often use shows "no entries" listed.
BTW, the numbers that I gave you came from the USGS GNIS database. Good luck!!

LauraA
01-28-2007, 09:10 AM
Thanks OJ, Toys & Speedy, After following your directions and using our topo map, we're seeing something we hadn't noticed before....like a mountain that we might be on the wrong side of. :o :eek:
The maps we're using are from the Arizona Department of Mines and Minerals,they're good ones, identifying mineral resources and locations dating quite a ways back. Mindat.org doesn't list as many in our county as the AZDMM does.
You're right Speedy, gotta be tenacious about it. (or as my husband calls me, mule-headed.):rolleyes:

Tyroler
11-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Laura, the 33-47-52 represent 33 degrees 47 minutes and 52 seconds of latitude. You can plot this position on a map. Just look for the numbers of latitude that are displayed on the map. A degree is 60 nautical miles a nautical mile is 6000 feet. A minute is 1 nautical mile , and a second is 100 feet. This is all predicated on my memory of Navy navigation school. Which may be + or - who knows what. The latitude is marked up and down the left or right side of the map, and the longitude is marked along the top or bottom. Good luck......Speedy
download Google Earth,search Your Place and print it

mainmanwalkin
11-05-2007, 07:44 PM
If you have Google Earth on your computer you can also type the Long/Lat right into the search bar on the lefthand side. It will bring you right to where the coordinates are.

LauraA
11-06-2007, 05:19 AM
It finally took the help of a friendly Forest Ranger equipped with GPS to find the actual location of Journigan mine. Here's my old post on the topic.

So Long Journigan - Ghosttowns.com Forums (http://forums.ghosttowns.com/showthread.php?t=15166&highlight=Journigan)