PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Ghost Towns?

andrgo
01-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Hello all,

This next weekend I plan on going driving to find some ghost towns in my local state of Minnesota.

I only know where two are:
- Barrows, MN (much is abandoned but there's still quite a few residents living in it.)
- Nelson, MN (I haven't been there for a few years but I remember there were only a couple of buildings in bad shape and a few still-occupied houses.)

There's also supposedly a place called Manganese, MN and I've heard of it quite a few times before but I have no idea where I can find it.

Does anyone know of any Minnesota ghost towns (specifically in Crow Wing, Cass, Morrison, or Aitkin Counties)? Any help would be appreciated, the more ghost towns I can visit this weekend, the more pictures I'll have to share...

Thanks in advance

bad bob
01-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Check www.topozone.com (http://www.topozone.com)

Manganese located sw of Wolford, nw of Flynn Lake @ coord 46.528 lat by 94.009 lon.

bb.

andrgo
02-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Thank you Bob, I found it on Google Earth with no problem from what is on Topozone.

Tomorrow is when I'm getting ready to go Minnesota ghost-town hunting.

Another 12 hours left until I take off, do any of you have any more information on MN ghost towns? Even just a list of ghost/near-ghost towns that I can find their location on later?

Any additional MN ghost town help/lists appreciated before I go driving in 12 hours.

Goat
02-03-2007, 06:57 AM
I don't know of any ghost towns there, but I admire your determination to go exploring in February. I spent January of 2001 in Minneapolis, and I'm still not thawed out! Good luck!

Goat

GaryB
02-03-2007, 08:51 AM
I don't know of any ghost towns there, but I admire your determination to go exploring in February. I spent January of 2001 in Minneapolis, and I'm still not thawed out! Good luck!

Goat

Traffic shouldn't be an issue. ;)

TheCrow
02-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Lets see if link works.http://www.treasurequestxlt.com/community/minnesota-ghost-towns/6500-minnesota-ghost-towns.html

andrgo
02-04-2007, 05:03 PM
I hate to say it but I never got to venture out to some of the Iron Range ghost towns like I had planned on today. For one it was -10'F here and that's not including the wind chill. I think I will be more logical and less racey about my Minnesota ghost town adventures and save them for this spring or summer when I can walk around and explore without getting frostbite.

Right now I am in the process of setting up a Minnesota ghost town and abandoned places Website. So far I've got about six towns on it, I've been researching all day and getting map/aerial pictures for them also. It will probably be a day or so before I publicly launch the Website.

If you guys have any additional Minnesota ghost towns (it doesn't matter if you've only heard about them or if you actually know quite a bit about them) I would really appreciate it so I can research them and put them up on my site before I open it. I've already checked out every site on the internet that talks about "Minnesota ghost towns" so please don't link me to any because believe me, I've been to them all (even the one TheCrow brought up :p, but hey thanks man.)

Anyway like I said, if you know of a Minnesota ghost town that you've been to, read about, heard a family/friend speak of, please tell me. I would really appreciate it.

Thank you guys!