PDA

View Full Version : abandoned mines rappelling exploration southern california

pfs78
02-04-2007, 11:36 PM
hey guys im new this forum so if my question don't apply my bad...
friends and i are looking for some abandonded mines in southern california relitivly close to orange county 2 hours or so max away. were looking for some mines that are good for for regulare exploration and some rappelling. fairly easy to find would be ideal! any ideas at all really work for me. i know of calico has many and i heard of alvord mine witch i believe is right up the way from calico but i cant seem to find enough info on how to get there or what kind of mines are available for what we want to do. thanks

Flatiron
02-05-2007, 04:35 AM
Man, there's a lot of people out there with "bad" stuff! I kinda wonder if they're buying foreign junk, or American junk. Where's the quality control, anymore?

pfs78
02-05-2007, 10:45 AM
how do you mean "bad" stuff

brian10x
02-05-2007, 08:02 PM
how do you mean "bad" stuff

Its an inside joke. Stick around for awhile and you will see.
My GOODness!

speedy
02-08-2007, 07:27 AM
BB, will your work ever be done?

bad bob
02-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Speedy
There is no rest for the wicked.
And as long as the spam bots keep dumpin their trash here, I'm gonna blade it off where it belongs! (Unless someone beats me to it).
bb.

GaryB
02-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Speedy
There is no rest for the wicked.
And as long as the spam bots keep dumpin their trash here, I'm gonna blade it off where it belongs! (Unless someone beats me to it).
bb.

Got most of the spam bots beat, not many are making it onto the boards as they get stuck in a quagmire when registering. Most of what we are getting now are actual folks going through the trouble to register and post. Kind of hard to stop them with out validating every new member, which can be a hassle. Many have valid mail hosting (gmail, yahoo, etc) and I can report them. Hopefully they get the boot, and have to find new hosts, or at least have to re-register. Might as well put them through as much trouble as they put us through ;)

A cool thing is you can visit forum support boards (or even do an on line search) and check emails against known spammers, so I can dump them while they are still awaiting conformation.

xplor'npaul
02-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Hey pfs78,..... there's a mine up by lancaster called the red rover,..... dont know if it's been sealed off,..... big mine, dangerous, a few people have had to be rescued out of there,...I once was hiking in the area and found an air shaft that went darn near straight down.....didnt enter it, and for the life of me, could not tell you were that was..... the calico area is your best close bet........... hope this helps......P.

lostalaskan
12-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Pfs78, Id not worry about rappelling the alvord mine unless you want to go 30 feet or so and stop.There are how ever some shafts just north off the spanish trail that may be of interest to you.As for exploring the alvord I'd be very careful the ceiling is fractured and becoming very unstable as some fools been digging and prying and several large pieces have dropped down one while I myself had just been in the mine itself and come out for lunch and went back inside so be wary.

WadeVC
12-17-2009, 09:11 PM
I know this is an older thread, but I just find it hard to believe that people will still try to temp fate by messing around in or around old mine shafts for the "thrills".

Folks, PLEASE, old mines are potential death traps, not figuratively, but literally.

Unless one is experienced in this type of exploration, admire them from a safe distance and with a good camera.

ghost_town_huntress
12-20-2009, 12:50 AM
This is why I go into mines with a very highly experienced group that know what they're doing. Mojave Underground are some of the best out there. I'm really glad I met them and am able to explore with them. They know about mine safety and potentially hazardous situations and educate people about how to be safe in mines.