PDA

View Full Version : Question re: Richmond Basin, AZ

LauraA
02-14-2007, 07:47 AM
Does anyone have any first hand information about the Richmond Basin area in the Apache Mountains, Gila County, AZ? It's on state land, just outside the boundary of the Tonto Nat'l Forest. There appears to be quite a few old mines out there, mostly silver.
There's a story about a German prospector who was looking for gold there, he staked a claim but found no gold so he traded his claim for a mule. His claim turned out to be one of the richest silver deposits ever found. The Silver Nugget Mine...sure hope that was a good mule. :rolleyes:
I've read the info on the web and on the GT web site and was hoping someone here might have something more to add to it.

Johnnie
02-14-2007, 08:03 AM
Does anyone have any first hand information about the Richmond Basin area in the Apache Mountains, Gila County, AZ? It's on state land, just outside the boundary of the Tonto Nat'l Forest. There appears to be quite a few old mines out there, mostly silver.
There's a story about a German prospector who was looking for gold out there, he staked a claim but found no gold so he traded his claim for a mule. His claim turned out to be one of the richest silver deposits ever found. The Silver Nugget Mine...sure hope that was a good mule. :rolleyes:
I've read the info on the web and on the GT web site and was hoping someone here might have something more to add to it.

Sounds, interesting Laura, We will check into to what we can find. After we follow through with some Doc. app.

Johnnie & Sheila

LauraA
02-14-2007, 08:12 AM
oops it double posted.

TheCrow
02-14-2007, 08:13 AM
Am currently doing Gila county, Arizona, on the site i am building at Ghost Towns of America. The link i sent you LauraA. Course i have never been there myself.

LauraA
02-14-2007, 08:16 AM
Thanks Johnnie & Sheila, hope all goes well with the Doc...if his last name is Holliday, don't go! ;) :D
We're thinking of taking a few days to camp out there and do some exploring (if it EVER stops raining here) We can spend more time that way, otherwise we have to come back within a five hour time period to take care of our dog, if we camp we can take him with us. He's not much on Jeeping the backroads, he gets car sick, but he does well if we camp.

dadbruns
02-20-2007, 11:29 AM
It will take about an hour and 4wd in one place just to get there from SR188. Last time I was up there the old house was down (not like my first time there). If you need directions let me know.

dadbruns
02-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

LauraA
02-20-2007, 04:07 PM
Hi dadbruns, Welcome to the forum! :)
We went out to Richmond Basin yesterday, unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate so we turned around before reaching the mine.
It's a beautiful area, very scenic and the road is pretty good too except for a few minor washouts. We plan to go back and spend some time out there looking around. There's a lot of mining history in that particular area, so it should be a fun place to explore.
The clouds looked ominous, sure enough, we no sooner hit the main highway when the skies opened. We wouldn't want to be up those washes during a downpour.
Here are a couple a pictures of the area.

View of the Apache Mountains
Pretty good road

Goat
02-20-2007, 05:38 PM
Beautiful pictures Laura, you can almost smell the rain in them.

Goat

speedy
02-21-2007, 06:39 AM
Beautiful pics. I can see why this place is easy to love.....Speedy

LauraA
02-21-2007, 07:10 AM
Thanks Goat & Speedy, It is easy to love Arizona. It's nice to live in a place where you can't think of anywhere you'd rather be. :)