PDA

View Full Version : Thread bumping

GaryB
02-15-2007, 08:59 AM
This is a request from myself directly in an effort to curb a growing issue. I have seen it addressed on the board twice in the past few days, as well as receiving a couple of PM's about it from members.

The issue is some people who are new to the boards are feeling as if they are being called spammers by members "bumping" posts, as their messages tend to be followed by "bumping" posts. Many of these "bumping" posts can be a bit carried away with their content. I completely understand why the bumping is taking place as well as the frustration in dealing with spammers.

For those that feel the need to bump spam posts, I ask that you do so with a simple statement that's long enough to post. Preferably non hostile. This way, not only will members not take unnecessary offense, but I can easily delete the bumping posts as well as the spam topics.

I only delete "bumping" posts when I can, for the simple fact I doubt anyone wants to sift through numerous "bump" posts to find related content to the topic at hand. I know from doing cleaning of the boards that I have found a few topics already with 2-3 pages that had 10-15 "bump" posts within them, making up the majority of the topic. To me, this is just as unattractive as having numerous spam topics glaring in every topic listings.

Again, I'm not attacking folks (or even any one person in particular) for bumping, should they choose to. Just asking that it be done with a little bit of moderation so as to curb any misunderstood emotions.

That is all. :)

brian10x
02-15-2007, 06:38 PM
Sounds like a good idea, Gary.

bad bob
02-15-2007, 07:43 PM
Yeah I have no problem with that Gary. Always happy to cooperate with the authorities.
I do have a couple questions, and remember, you must keep the answers simple, like me.

Last time I looked, Cool still has the Super Moderator avator, so are both of you trying to keep this site spamless, or just you. I doubt if anyone expects you to monitor the site 24/7 to kill spam, but 2 mods does increase the odds a wee bit.

Also, previously all of the bump posts were removed at the same time the evil spam was taken out thereby eliminating any confusion. But lately this is not the case. Is this now a tech problem, time consuming, or ? By your request, it sounds like longer bump posts are more difficult to delete? I'm not getting how/why this is possible. But then us backwards Bakersfieldiens aren't well known as rockit cienists.

GaryB
02-16-2007, 08:41 AM
Last time I looked, Cool still has the Super Moderator avator, so are both of you trying to keep this site spamless, or just you. I doubt if anyone expects you to monitor the site 24/7 to kill spam, but 2 mods does increase the odds a wee bit.

As far as I know, Andy is doing it when he's here. Though I doubt he's on here any where as much as I am. About the only time I'm not checking in is when I'm at work or out of town, which seems to be when we get hit the most unfortunately.

Seems we could use a few extra basic moderators. I'm sure if anyone is interested in helping, they could ask Todd (PM) and be made a basic moderator able to at least "soft" delete the posts till myself or Andy got around to taking care of the spammers and the posts directly. At least that way, the spammers would not be having their messages seen, and it'd look better to visitors IMO. But that's up to you guys really. It's not real hard to do and I could walk anyone through it. About the only way to completely secure the site would be to moderate every new member and their first few posts, which can/could be quite time consuming. Like I mentioned before, 98% of the ones getting in now are humans taking the time to register, you can only do so much to stop them. If only they were that persistent in real jobs, they might be doctors or lawyers as opposed to spammers sitting at home watching Oprah and munching twinkies :rolleyes:

Also, previously all of the bump posts were removed at the same time the evil spam was taken out thereby eliminating any confusion. But lately this is not the case. Is this now a tech problem, time consuming, or ? By your request, it sounds like longer bump posts are more difficult to delete? I'm not getting how/why this is possible. But then us backwards Bakersfieldiens aren't well known as rockit cienists.

I can delete anything, but sometimes the bump posts take off on to new subjects or even related banter that can be entertaining IMO. I don't delete these as I don't want posters getting offended by seeing me dumping their posts continuously and thinking I'm attacking them or I dislike them, etc. I sort of have to choose carefully to as not offend anyone, and the majority I delete are the basic ones that likely no one would miss. Also, it can be hard to keep up with the bump posts, especially like the other day we had hits in every thread 2 or 3 times, with multiple people bumping and others posting to the content in between. So I don't always get around to deleting all of them at that time, or before someone else that thinks it's directed toward them sees it. I also have to go slowly when doing Admin duties, as for some reason I get locked out of the site with error codes if I try to do too much too quick. Likely it's just an issue with the connection speed, the server being busy, and trying to cram info down the server's throat all at once. But it does hinder me in regards to doing clean up work. So I some times put off the bump posts to get rid of the offending spam first.

bad bob
02-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Wow Gary...now I see why you get the BIG bucks.
Your answer was very clear & concise, so that even I was able to understand. Much thanks for the info.

brian10x
02-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Wow Gary...now I see why you get the BIG bucks.
Your answer was very clear & concise, so that even I was able to understand. Much thanks for the info.

Once again, I find myself in total agreement.

bad bob
02-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Ziiiing ...ya got me! But I'm not lookin' fer trouble, Mr B.... so we happen to disagree over the pristine use of the English Language here at this forum.
Hopefully, it's not a capitol offense.
bb.

speedy
02-17-2007, 06:51 AM
That's a big bump, Brian.

GaryB
02-19-2007, 12:42 AM
Ziiiing ...ya got me! But I'm not lookin' fer trouble, Mr B.... so we happen to disagree over the pristine use of the English Language here at this forum.
Hopefully, it's not a capitol offense.
bb.

I didn't know we disagreed :confused:

Whatcha' talkin' 'bout Willis?

brian10x
02-19-2007, 04:42 AM
.....:rolleyes:

bad bob
02-19-2007, 11:35 AM
I didn't know we disagreed :confused:

Whatcha' talkin' 'bout Willis?

Sorry...wrong Mr B
Should'a read Mr B10X....
My.....bad. :)

GaryB
02-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Sorry...wrong Mr B
Should'a read Mr B10X....
My.....bad. :)

O'tay. You's bad is down with me dog.

brian10x
02-19-2007, 08:12 PM
:) Weee! ...

LauraA
03-18-2007, 08:20 AM
BUMMMMPPPPPPP...:D

xplor'npaul
03-19-2007, 07:34 AM
Hi all, exactly what is a "bumping post" or a "bump" I've seen people use that word in some posts...... ?:cool:

LauraA
03-19-2007, 10:48 AM
"Bumping" is used when there's an offensive post (spam) on the main forum page, ie: See Britney Spears nekkid, wholesale bogus drugs, cheapo electronics. We'll often "bump" another post to the forefront of that same category to push the offending post off the front page until our Super- Dooper-Moderator-Extraordinaire, GaryB, can delete the garbage. (He does an excellent job I might add.)
So if you see the word "Bump" or similar on one of your posts, it's a good thing, nothing to take offense at. It merely means your post has been pushed to the front page.

GaryB
03-19-2007, 11:38 AM
I "bump" my way past the offending garbage at the DMV too :p

bad bob
03-19-2007, 01:39 PM
I "bump" my way past the offending garbage at the DMV too :p

Now THAT I just gotta see!
(I'm here to learn).:)

GaryB
03-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Now THAT I just gotta see!
(I'm here to learn).:)

I'd tell you some good stories, but I'd likely offend someone. Seems you can't sneeze with out doing that anymore. And I'm trying to be a good boy for now, well at least till someone almost creams me tonight on the highway :rolleyes:

Then there are those that hate the truth. Like the lady complaining at the auto insurance office I was at last week. Seems she got nailed for another DUI, lost her license and was complaining about the loops she had to go through to get her license back. I asked her if she simply ever thought about not drinking and driving. I don't think she'll wave with all her fingers the next time she sees me :(

brian10x
03-19-2007, 11:05 PM