PDA

View Full Version : contact info for franklin wash.

mangie0125
02-15-2007, 05:38 PM
i have been here countless times in the past. but you must contact the drilling co. or a gun club i've heard. its been a couple years since i have gone back and i want to be legal and not trespass on the property. does anyone have any info on who to contact and phone #'s thank you!!!

andrgo
02-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Contact the local countythat Franklin, WA is in. Specifically, the county assessor who deals with land issues. They should be able to give you contact information for whoever owns the property within a short period of time.

bad bob
02-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Seems to me there was a few posts here not that long ago regarding this same place.

They also posted some pictures, etc., but I don't recall them mentioning the need to contact anyone prior to entry. The posts were less than, or right at a year ago IIRC, so you can prob roll thru some of the back pages here.
bb.

Sorry, just did a quick search and found it was Lester, WA that was posted a while back. Franklin is listed on the WA page at this website, and the info is there is nothing remaining except cemetery, and permission is required.

NWNative
02-16-2007, 07:38 AM
Are you going to Franklin? I have tried to get there a few times with old maps and bad directions. It is one place that a really want to get to. Would you mind sharing your info or having a tag-a-long?

mangie0125
02-16-2007, 05:46 PM
thank you everyone for your info! NWNATIVE i am planning on going up this spring maybe sooner. i want to go up when all the foliage is still dead to look around better. and for directions i dont know how to describe how to get there i just know the area and somehow find the enterance everytime,a miracle in its self. ill try to hunt down info on contacts and keep you updated. its a wicked cool place. you will really get a kick out of it

NWNative
02-16-2007, 09:46 PM
This one is my blackbird mine. We've gone into the area couple of times but the info I have is so sketchy that it's a crap shoot. Every time we find other great stuff so it's never a bad trip. Still, I'd really like to get to this one!
Thanks for keeping me informed!

mandolyn75
04-18-2007, 11:46 AM
I have been to Franklin a couple of times as well. I was just there about a week ago. There is no special permission needed as far as I know. A boyscout group and a school group had done a couple different clean ups to the area because it is becoming more popular. I don't think that would be done if people were not allowed to visit. There is a gated entrance and a house to the right of it. There was a man out there and I asked him if people could still hike the trail and he said, "Oh yeah, no worries". I don't know how official that is but I know other people who have hiked it as well with no problems.
I don't know if there are different entrances to the area or not.
It is a real nice hike but the area is getting taken over by blackberries since the last clean up and much of the remains are covered.
There is still about 5-6 visible graves/headstones in the cemetary, which is clearly marked and an old mine shaft that goes down about 1300 feet, which is now covered by a large grate but is still quite neat.

Darin
04-18-2007, 06:11 PM
The last time I was in Franklin was back in the early '80s. I had forgotten all about the town until now and it was the first GT I was ever at. Just don't blink when you are going through the area or you may miss the town since it is covered over (like I did so many times). Must have been there for at least 3 or 4 hours before I found that all the dirt mounds that were in the shape of houses....were actually houses, and the headstones that were there were knocked over by varments, I mean vandals. Didn't get to see the mine so I guess my wife and I will have to go check it out again. Thanks for the memories of a...twice forgotten town.

Fairlane500
05-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Franklin is located within Hanging Gardens State Park, so the premises are freely accesible. The hardest part may be finding a place to park along the road, and then walking on back down to the trailhead.
If anyone wants, I have a number of pictures I took at Franklin over last summer that I would post.

NWNative
05-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Oh Dang! I am confused. I mixed up Franklin and Frankfort - shich is where I really want to go!
I did go to Franklin a couple of years ago. Check in with the museum in Black Diamond. They occasionally will do a history walk.
At the time the area was fenced and gated but the gate was open and there were a lot of people using the area - hikers, kayakers, etc.