PDA

View Full Version : Texas Ghost Towns

bad bob
02-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Just came across this site while looking for something else.

www.texasescapes.com/TOWNS/Texas_ghost_towns.htm (http://www.texasescapes.com/TOWNS/Texas_ghost_towns.htm)

Apparently there are 406 ghost towns in Texas.

bb.

speedy
02-18-2007, 06:49 AM
Great web-site. Thanks a lot, BB.............Speedy

bad bob
02-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Yer quite welcome Speedy!

GaryB
02-19-2007, 12:28 AM
And people say you have nothing to add to the site.

Next slurpee is on me ;)

bad bob
02-20-2007, 09:06 PM
And people say you have nothing to add to the site.

Next slurpee is on me ;)

As I recall, it was not people, it was one person singular.
And hard as it is to admit, I really have not had all that much to contribute.

You'd think that gt books could not be out-dated. Yet most of the ghost town questions here,
going back a couple of years, are not in my books. And Google has also been very little help.

Here lately, I'm lucky to get the State right. I don't know why! But there can be no slurpee
celebration here in mudville right now. Thanks anyway.:)

bb

GaryB
02-21-2007, 07:59 AM
If you don't take the slurpee, then Drifter will, and he's already jacked up on frozen caffeine to the point he keeps push starting his ATV instead of using the electric starter because "it's too slow". :D

bad bob
02-21-2007, 06:51 PM
If you don't take the slurpee, then Drifter will, and he's already jacked up on frozen caffeine to the point he keeps push starting his ATV instead of using the electric starter because "it's too slow". :D

I appreciate that, your Mod-ship. But Drifter would be the best choice at this time, and IIRC, there's always the decaf-slurp!:)

Can't help with the motorbikes, ATV's, Quads, etc., I'm doin' well not to have someone help put fuel in me Tahoe! :confused:

HollyDolly
08-07-2007, 10:48 AM
:cool: They constantly update the sight with new regular and ghost towns. Some of these towns are quite interesting.

Mikejts
08-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Just came across this site while looking for something else.

www.texasescapes.com/TOWNS/Texas_ghost_towns.htm (http://www.texasescapes.com/TOWNS/Texas_ghost_towns.htm)

Apparently there are 406 ghost towns in Texas.

bb.

Good site...Just visited it. :)

HollyDolly
10-18-2007, 09:08 AM
:p Thanks Bad Bob,this is one of my favourite sites.
You might also want to check out The Handbook of Texas Online.

It also has various ghost towns.Some towns which aren't mentioned at Texas escapes are as follows.

Lookout,near northeast San Antonio,which took it's name from Comanche Lookout hill.
The hill was used as a lookout post for invaders by indians and settlers.The area is now a city park.
Kenberg,near Boerne,but can't find anything on it.But it was located on the Anaman Road.There is a lone old gas station and house there and way back in the 1950s a dirt road ran from this place to Anhalt,another ghost town.
DemiJohn Bend,which once was on the Guadalupe River and named for the shape of the river bend.The road is still there,but it ends at a private ranch.
Wasp Creek,only a cemetery remains.
All that remains of Verdi in Wilson County is a community hall.
Galle and Barbarosa inGuadalupe County.They have small populations and at one time Barbarosa had an air field during WW2 now vanished.
There's Little St.Louis,Little Milwaukee,and Little New York,all named for a dance hall that took it's name from a major city.
Mound Creek,only a cemtery and school house survive.The wife of John Wesley Hardin is buried at Asher Cemetery at Mound Creek.
There is on Loop 1604 near San Antonio an old red sandstone store building with iron shutters that might have been part of the community of Loma China.
Wish I could buy a map with all these town locations on them.
Some of these places have vanished,leaving no buildings at all.Others like Nickle in Gonzales County have only an abadoned store building.

bad bob
10-18-2007, 05:07 PM
:p Thanks Bad Bob,this is one of my favourite sites.
You might also want to check out The Handbook of Texas Online.

It also has various ghost towns.Some towns which aren't mentioned at Texas escapes are as follows.

Lookout,near northeast San Antonio,which took it's name from Comanche Lookout hill.
The hill was used as a lookout post for invaders by indians and settlers.The area is now a city park.
Kenberg,near Boerne,but can't find anything on it.But it was located on the Anaman Road.There is a lone old gas station and house there and way back in the 1950s a dirt road ran from this place to Anhalt,another ghost town.
DemiJohn Bend,which once was on the Guadalupe River and named for the shape of the river bend.The road is still there,but it ends at a private ranch.
Wasp Creek,only a cemetery remains.
All that remains of Verdi in Wilson County is a community hall.
Galle and Barbarosa inGuadalupe County.They have small populations and at one time Barbarosa had an air field during WW2 now vanished.
There's Little St.Louis,Little Milwaukee,and Little New York,all named for a dance hall that took it's name from a major city.
Mound Creek,only a cemtery and school house survive.The wife of John Wesley Hardin is buried at Asher Cemetery at Mound Creek.
There is on Loop 1604 near San Antonio an old red sandstone store building with iron shutters that might have been part of the community of Loma China.
Wish I could buy a map with all these town locations on them.
Some of these places have vanished,leaving no buildings at all.Others like Nickle in Gonzales County have only an abadoned store building.

Yer Welcome. :)

mommio
12-23-2007, 03:28 PM
The Texas Escapes site lists "some" of the ghost towns in Texas. The editor of the site and I have been in touch. He has listed the more well-known ones and I have a whole lot more. If anyone is interested in the ones in the western parts of the state, I can give you names. Am a geocacher and have placed geocaches at all of the ghost towns I have found. And I still have a long list to visit.

whitt459
01-24-2008, 07:58 PM
looking for directions to the site of camp worth, a sawmill town on the shelby and san augustine co.lines in the pine woods of east texas. any and all info. will be appericated. whitt459 jasper, tx.

Rick Kincaid
04-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Check out this link at Handbook of Texas Online. http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/CC/hrc17.html

Tsarevna
04-16-2010, 08:05 AM
I didn't know that Amelia Earhart landed in Toyah. Interesting.

Too bad the site is so cluttered with ads. :( Makes me feel I'm lost in a crop maze.

HollyDolly
04-19-2010, 12:32 PM
i didn't either. The town of Post,Texas in Garza County was founded by the cereal king,C.W.Post. The town has a website and has how the town came to be founded.Gail Bordon ,founder of Borden Milk was also in Texas.The town of Gail is named for him.