PDA

View Full Version : Hello everybody

scotstownie
02-22-2007, 03:49 PM
I'd like to say hello from Scotland.
I just signed up after finding this site while looking at American ghost towns.
I'm planning a holiday (probably some time this summer) and to be a bit different I thought I could drive across the country visiting and photographing your numerous ghost towns.
I am amazed how many there are and how many of them are still standing. I suppose America is such a big country in comparison to Scotland but we don't have anything like them, I think real estate is just too valuable, they would be built over, although we do have a few scattered derelict buildings here and there, we have nothing as fascinating as your ghost towns in the US.
So, I was really looking for route suggestions, or any other info your members might have to impart that might point me to a suitable route. (I will be travelling with some else so don't worry about me being out there alone folks!)
Many thanks for any help you can give and best wishes from Edinburgh.
Jemima:)

bad bob
02-22-2007, 06:23 PM
I'd like to say hello from Scotland.
I just signed up after finding this site while looking at American ghost towns.
I'm planning a holiday (probably some time this summer) and to be a bit different I thought I could drive across the country visiting and photographing your numerous ghost towns.
I am amazed how many there are and how many of them are still standing. I suppose America is such a big country in comparison to Scotland but we don't have anything like them, I think real estate is just too valuable, they would be built over, although we do have a few scattered derelict buildings here and there, we have nothing as fascinating as your ghost towns in the US.
So, I was really looking for route suggestions, or any other info your members might have to impart that might point me to a suitable route. (I will be travelling with some else so don't worry about me being out there alone folks!)
Many thanks for any help you can give and best wishes from Edinburgh.
Jemima:)

Hello Scottie.
It's true about the size of America, and the number of great ghost towns to visit.
There's also several ways to get to them. A lot may depend on the weather, vehicle type, amount of time you have (all summer?), and the $$$ funds available.

Carefully planning your trip is a major step, IMO. I suggest using the public library, and the internet, and then purchasing accurate, up-to-date ghost town guide books, (as well as guides for other attractions). The reason is that you may be near a place that doesn't necessarily have any ghost towns, but does have attractions that may be of interest to you. Civil War sites, Historic places like Colonial Williamsburg, or Harper's Ferry for example.
Many of these attractions guides (and even ghost town guides), are available online, if you do not wish to buy them.

Google "American Ghost Town guide", or something similar, and then Google "Free attractions guide for America" for example. If you have a printer, you're in good shape here. Some ghost towns are in remote areas where a person could get lost. Towns within easy reach, and associated maps are recommended first. After that, you'll have to decide what risks you're willing to undertake, according to your navigational skills.
bb.

old judge
02-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Dear Scottie: Just be careful of the Bloody Irishmen. They're all over to **** and gone. A man and bride of the Clan Donald. OJ and his Bride.

scotstownie
02-23-2007, 01:19 AM
Well, I don't know why you call yourself Bad Bob, it seems like you're very helpful - not bad at all!
I have googled all these things and there a lot a good suggestions on this site, advice about what to take and the precautions you should make.
I sold my business last year and plan to buy another one so I was thinking to make this like a big holiday as I'll need to go back to work full on when I get back.
A friend is selling her house and giving up her job for a year so we would go together.
I know it sounds a bit Thelma and Louise but I promise we won't drive off a cliff at the end, unless it's by accident. As you only get one shot at the roundabout I want to do something I'll always remember. Other people like beaches and fancy hotels but I've developed this fascination with your ghost towns.
I've taken your advice and will but some books too but the only thing is where to start?
I worked in the US many years ago in various states and when I was in Florida I was shown an old town near an Indian reservation. It must have stayed with me for after marriage, kids and the whole nine yards the image is still there.
PerhapsI should team up with an experienced Ghost Towner, see if anyone would like to join us on the trip. I think people can spend their lives wondering about what might happen, too frightened to go and and do something for themselves.
If anyone has a suggestion about routes across or part of the way - I might be being too ambitious - send them to me. Thanks again Bob for your time and advice.
Jemima

scotstownie
02-23-2007, 01:32 AM
Well OJ,
(Don't those initials belong to someone else who spent a lot of time in the courts as well?)
Was your cryptic message to warn me off your ghost towns or the baddies that lurk there?
I think I'll be leaving the ghosts behind if I venture over to the USA.
What my mother would say was don't be frightened of the dead they can't harm you, it's the living you need to watch.
Anyway those Irish are our celtic cousins - it's the English we need to look out for, the real enemy!
Cheers,
Jem

GaryB
02-23-2007, 08:11 AM
Anyway those Irish are our celtic cousins - it's the English we need to look out for, the real enemy!
Cheers,
Jem

Hear! Hear!

I can't think of any definitive route to take, but I think if you have up to a year to do it in, you'll be able to hit just about anything you could ever want. If it were me, I'd look into hitting the early settlement towns along the east coast, down south to the coal towns, up through the Midwest and see the early western sites like Dodge City, Dead Wood, etc. Then maybe across the northwest to some old logging mills, down through Nevada and California to hit some ghost towns and mines, then finish off somewhere around New Mexico/Arizona checking out Native American sites. Toss in half a dozen National Parks Yellowstone, Death Valley, etc and you'd likely see more than the average American ever will.

The good thing is the eastern states are a lot smaller, so even if you spent a few days in each state, you'd see a lot in a short time, likely being able to save time for the bigger western states.

scotstownie
02-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Well thanks Gary,
I like your suggestions but I don't know whether I will have as much time as that, unfortunately. Though I could do it over a few years I suppose instead, for I am on a quest to visit as many as I can.
I'll probably have three months at the very most, else my family will think I have deserted them. More than likely, I will fly into New York and that fits in well with your suggestions for a starting point.
Of course, before all that happens I'll have to do a lot of research and reading. I wonder where I could get reliable maps of the ghost towns? I looked it up on google but could only find old maps, or ones which seemed rather vague about exact routes.
Do you or any of the other members know if anyone has published a comprehesive route planner? Might there not be a gap in the market for that?
However, it could well be the case that real Ghost Towners, truly interested in their preservation , don't really want every Tom, **** and Jane finding these routes too easily, do you think? I can see there needs to be a balance and if these monuments to America's history are worth appreciating they are worth the extra effort it may take to seek them out through proper reseach.
Makes me think of those Eagles lyrics in the song The Last Resort about American's old West, the coming of the white man and what happened to Native Americans and their whole way of life -

As the lyrics say - call some place Paradise - kiss it goodbye!

Jem

bad bob
02-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Jem

The ghost town books should have small map insets to help with directions.

With 3 months, you should have no problem seeing more of the US than many here do, as GaryB said. There are several routes across the US from New York, so this is where pre-planning becomes crucial.
I recommend plotting a course west with a northern route, and returning on the southern, or vice versa. Then look on this route and see if it maximizes the places you'd like to visit. If it doesn't, you can customize it by using alternate routes. Most likely, you'll have to veer up and down while enroute. Nothing wrong with that.
I believe your image of Ghost towns are gonna be the ones located mostly in the western half of the US. That may help give you a better picture of what you'd like to see.

The "bad" name is another story. Email me if you want.

bb.

old judge
02-23-2007, 04:12 PM
Jem: I hear you my Celtic Brother. It's them dweebs from France and Germany we need to watch, that is, the English. Now I get it...William the Conqueror and all that. OK. When you get here, watch out for the Englishmen, French, and Germans. They're all the heck and gone about. And be careful of the Irish as well, because,.....Well my Scottish friend, just be careful. By the way, you'll likely find Native Americans to your liking. They're number one.....OJ

scotstownie
02-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Well Mr. Bad Bob,

Now I just can't for the life of me understand why America gets such a bad press over here! Maybe it has something to do with that dynasty you all have in the White House or something,
I was told when I first worked in the US that all the crazies, neurotics and psychos lived on the edges in New York and LA and all the decent folks lived in between.
Well now, it's those inbetweenies I want to meet. When I went there before all I got to see were the extremes, this time if I go back I want to see the places where the sane people live, even if they are ghost towns!
Jem

scotstownie
02-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Dear OJ.

I think I would be your celtic sister - at least I was the last time I looked! And I do believe the Scots and native Americans have a lot in common. We had our land stolen, our customs banned and mineral rights hijacked by those **** English - and still they ask us to pay their taxes!
Oh and I do believe both our nations have a liking for the old fire water... and we have been known to take a small bet once in a while, well, after the way we've been treated can you blame us?
Which part of Scotland was it your ancestors came from? They weren't off the Covenanters by any chance? I think the English might still be looking for you if they were!

Slainte Mhath!
Jem

bad bob
02-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Jem
I believe you meant that reply for OJ not me. Mine was the one before that.
bb.

scotstownie
02-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Nope,
I already answered your reply on the last page I think, though I may be getting a tad confused?! - and by-the-way thanks a lot for that advice Big Bad Bob.
Slainte,
Jem

Mikejts
02-23-2007, 08:50 PM
Scottie,

I can't believe everyone overlooked the beautiful State of Colorado. If you want a real adventure send me a private email and I will map you out some great sites.

bad bob
02-23-2007, 09:06 PM
Scottie,

I can't believe everyone overlooked the beautiful State of Colorado. If you want a real adventure send me a private email and I will map you out some great sites.

Rocky..
Colorado was not overlooked at all. I only suggested to 1st lay out an east-west route, and see if it covered what they wanted to see. Then alternate routes could be plotted to make up the difference, by "veering up, or down".
Your point is well taken however, Colorado is a must-see State, no matter how much time for vacation one has.
bb.

GaryB
02-24-2007, 09:54 AM
Yeah I said swing through the midwest too. And you's the midwest to me :p

Then again, I haven't been very far east either. :rolleyes:

old judge
02-24-2007, 01:04 PM
And to yours seor: Five Brothers came to Western Pennsylvania from Scotland in the early 1800s. Today, I have more relatives in Pennsylvania than in all other states combined. Here in Oklahoma there are only 6 of us in my father's line, and only a few in my Grandfather's line. And, certainly, since the 1800s, we've come to be desended of so many others. Only my name is of Celtic origin. I'm proud of it, but of my other roots as well. OJ

scotstownie
02-25-2007, 04:42 AM
It all sounds marvellous to me!
Jem

Flatiron
02-25-2007, 05:17 AM
I guess I wanna get in on this, too. My family came from the Highlands, and I too have a bit of disdain for the Brits. I've also got a little Irish blood in me, which doubles my disdain for the Limeys...........:D P.S. .Don't leave out Arizona on your trip;)

scotstownie
02-25-2007, 01:15 PM
Hi there Flatiron,
Well I guess if you scratch any American you'll find a little bit of all-sorts underneath - and usually there's a bit of Scots in there somewhere. We definintely got around! Still, aren't hybrids the storngest of all breds - or isn't that what nature tells us?

I'm really getting excited about all this - so I hope it all comes off as planned!
I have waited a long time to make this idea a reality and I'm learning a lot routing around this site and others reading books and sourcing maps.
Any further suggestions, info or ideas folks will be much appreicaited.
Jem :D

scotstownie
02-25-2007, 01:17 PM
P.S.
I'll try and take in Arizona too!
J

High Desert Drifter
02-27-2007, 10:06 PM
P.S.
I'll try and take in Arizona too!
J

Be sure to try a slurpee too! can be found at any local 7-11. it will add to your flavor of the good ole USA. and while your in the 7-11, don't be afraid to talk anti-terrorism stratgies with the attendant, most are harmless. Have fun zig zagging your way across our beautiful country!

scotstownie
03-01-2007, 11:15 AM
I'll try your slurpee then, Drifter, whatever it is!
Americans seem to like the accent. They want you to talk a lot, just to hear all the Scottish ouching and teuching!
I'm sure I'll have a great time - if I can ever escape from here!
It might take me longer to get there than I imagine it will - but I'm going!
Cheers,
Jem:)