PDA

View Full Version : Pre-run of Lincoln County, NV

GaryB
02-25-2007, 08:00 PM
I did a pre run of some mines in Lincoln County, NV for their National Trails Day June 2nd & 3rd. I'm leading the 4X4 trail, which starts in Caliente, travels to some springs and a hand dug well, over to to the Pan American, Comet, Mountain Lion and Black Prince mines. Also it goes by an old ranch and mill site. 50 miles of dirt, mostly along parts of the new Silver State Trail System, from 4000 to over 7000 feet in elevation. It's a pretty easy run, set to be done with any stock, high clearance 4X and people with limited experience so we can have more attendees. Once I get more info to post, I'm going to put up an event listing for it. Till then, here's some pics to give you a reason to come along :D

http://thumb15.webshots.net/t/53/753/5/88/2/2304588020094197955raQsOh_th.jpg (http://travel.webshots.com/album/557754005oqyDJL)

Flatiron
02-26-2007, 03:55 AM
GaryB..............For anybody who may be interestd in Lincoln County ghosttowns, Shawn Hall has a good website with lots of information on all of Nevada. nvghosttowns@topcities.com is his website, I believe. Yet Another Bob is a contributor to this site, also. I really like Lincoln County, as well as most of Nevada (excluding Las Vegas area). Have fun...........:p

Toysx2
02-26-2007, 05:35 AM
Hi all!

My first trip to eastern Nevada was May of last year, and I stumbled onto three of the mines that you list-- Pan American, Comet and Mountain Lion. They were very impressive!! I have photos of them as well as other old mines in California and Arizona on a website that I have created to show my former co-workers that I am staying busy since my retirement as a high school teacher. If interested the address is:
www.personal.riverusers.com/~parkse (http://www.personal.riverusers.com/~parkse)
I would appreciate any comments.

LauraA
02-26-2007, 07:20 AM
Ernie, Thanks so much for posting your link! My husband and I read with great interest your posts about places in our neck of the woods, the two trips to the Sierra Anchas.
I've sent you an email, it might be in your spam folder.

GaryB
02-26-2007, 08:57 AM
GaryB..............For anybody who may be interestd in Lincoln County ghosttowns, Shawn Hall has a good website with lots of information on all of Nevada. nvghosttowns@topcities.com is his website, I believe. Yet Another Bob is a contributor to this site, also. I really like Lincoln County, as well as most of Nevada (excluding Las Vegas area). Have fun...........:p

Actually, I think that's his email. His website is http://nvghosttowns.topcities.com/index.html

If my family would have kept better records, I'd likely be able to give even more info to him and Bob as well. If you ever read any history of the settlement of Lincoln County and come across the name Francis Lee, that was my great-great grandfather. He was one of the founding families of first Bullionville, then Panaca, NV.

IIRC my great-grandfather worked at Delemar. My grandfather worked Caselton and Pioche. My dad even had a stint at Caselton before they closed it in the 50's.

GaryB
02-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Hi all!

My first trip to eastern Nevada was May of last year, and I stumbled onto three of the mines that you list-- Pan American, Comet and Mountain Lion. They were very impressive!! I have photos of them as well as other old mines in California and Arizona on a website that I have created to show my former co-workers that I am staying busy since my retirement as a high school teacher. If interested the address is:
www.personal.riverusers.com/~parkse (http://www.personal.riverusers.com/~parkse)

Nice pictures. The nice thing is the ones you hit are but a drop in the bucket for that area. Even with the Silver State Trail being formed, they are only hitting the easily accessible ones. So you still have lots more to explore :D

I almost camped out in the stone cabin by Bristol Wells as a kid while deer hunting. Some jerk had been throwing dead jack rabbits in it though. Back then it had a complete roof and was actually pretty solid.

Bob
02-26-2007, 09:50 AM
I almost camped out in the stone cabin by Bristol Wells as a kid while deer hunting. Some jerk had been throwing dead jack rabbits in it though. Back then it had a complete roof and was actually pretty solid.

Gary

Have you ever been to the Bristol Wells Cemetary? It ain't marked on most maps. The Lady that records all the other Lincoln County deadspreads wasn't aware of it. When I first visited you could make out about 8/10 different names, now just one is easy to read.

Toysx2
02-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Nice pictures. The nice thing is the ones you hit are but a drop in the bucket for that area. Even with the Silver State Trail being formed, they are only hitting the easily accessible ones. So you still have lots more to explore :D

Thanks for the nice comments!
I am headed back that way! But this time, I'll wait until a little bit later in the year. That snowstorm in early May was a bit too cold for a southern Arizona desert rat! In talking to a cashier at a gas station in Ely, I guess that snow at that time of year is real common.

Ernie

GaryB
02-26-2007, 07:18 PM
Gary

Have you ever been to the Bristol Wells Cemetary? It ain't marked on most maps. The Lady that records all the other Lincoln County deadspreads wasn't aware of it. When I first visited you could make out about 8/10 different names, now just one is easy to read.

Not yet, I think I might have it on one map. I'm trying to find a contact to get permission to hit the mine site, but either nobody knows or they ain't tellin'. One of the bad things about being from the town stealing their water :(

Hopefully soon though, I'll be a local :D

GaryB
02-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the nice comments!
I am headed back that way! But this time, I'll wait until a little bit later in the year. That snowstorm in early May was a bit too cold for a southern Arizona desert rat! In talking to a cashier at a gas station in Ely, I guess that snow at that time of year is real common.

Ernie

I've seen it snow there in July so, yeah, it's common. If you ever go in July, my local 4X club does stock friendly runs up there for a weekend. We usually hit a lot of the mines and towns up there. If not, I can point you to some places, especially if you like scenery.

RockHounder55
03-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Hi all!

Great pics Toys.