PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Mountain, Ca

Akisaren
02-26-2007, 10:56 AM
just to let you know, I am from Eagle Mountain, Ca...there are abandoned schools, and a mine, but no longer is there a jail or a prison there. There is a school there that is still up and running, it's a K-8 school, I went there..and there is an old field hanger there, I lived in it when they turned it into a house with a lot of garages.
We have maybe 300 if we are lucky living there, the old cafe still stands as does the gas station, unfortunately, it is my deepest regret to inform you that the General store is closed down, although the post office still does business.
It is a good place to live, there is no crime, no cops...every one knows every one, a peaceful, quiet way of life.

Tsarevna
03-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Is this the place?

http://www.ghosttowngallery.com/htme/eaglemountain.htm

Sounds like a neat town.

LauraA
03-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Akisaren, Are you talking about Desert Center along I-10? Eagle Mountain itself surely doesn't still have 300 residents? I know the prison is not being used, but have they torn it down?

Tsarevna, yep, that's the place. Good photos, thanks! :)

luvluvjones
03-23-2007, 04:28 PM
There are no more than about 5 or 10 residents living in the front part of this town. The prison is still standing, but is locked. The whole town is fenced off.

LauraA
03-24-2007, 06:01 AM
luvluvjones, Thanks for the information, that's what I thought too. I'd love to explore that area further but doubt that access would be permitted. Have you been there to look around?

luvluvjones
03-26-2007, 02:57 PM
Hi Laura - I have been there to look around. It has to be one of the best modern ghost towns in America. Unfortunately, it is locked and they keep talking about tearing it down. Some of the pictures on the Eagle Mountain page on this web site were not really taken at Eagle Mountain, they were taken down the road in a place that is publicly accessible.

LauraA
03-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Hi Luvluvjones, I too was able to look around a bit at Eagle Mountain before it was fenced off. I wish I had looked a bit further but we felt uneasy being there because the prison was still operational back then. We didn't want the guards to view us as "suspicious".
I read somewhere there was talk about turning the area into a huge landfill but those plans have been shelved...for now. It would be a waste, I think some of those cute little ranch style houses could be rehabbed and put to some use or maybe even moved.
Here's a link to a previous post. The photo I posted was taken about three blocks south of the prison.

Eagle Mountain, CA - Page 2 - Ghosttowns.com Forums (http://forums.ghosttowns.com/showthread.php?p=21978&highlight=eagle+mountain#post21978)

luvluvjones
03-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Hi Laura - Thanks for the picture. There are some nice houses there, hopefully they won't be bulldozed or done in by a landfill. There are certain varying states of decay. Some houses don't even have roofs, but some look like they could be inhabited today. It's nice that the town if mostly free of vandalism as well. Here's a link to a few pictures of my own. Hope it works!http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/luvluvjones/album?.dir=/3852scd&.src=ph

LauraA
03-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Yep, your link works just fine. I viewed the slide show. It looks like the houses have indeed deteriorated since I was there last, too bad.
If you happen to hear or read anything pertaining to Eagle Mountain in your local news, I hope you'll let us know.
Thanks!

Tsarevna
04-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Heh, if all the homeless would just agree to take buses there, there'd be no more homeless problem in Southern CA. Perfectly good buildings going to waste. :(

LauraA
04-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Yep in an ideal world, then all we'd need is a way to employ them or have convoys of trucks hauling in food, medical supplies and booze. Anyway, from what I've seen, the homeless would rather live in Palm Springs or at the beach...better panhandling there. :rolleyes: