PDA

View Full Version : Exploration of the east (Old Va Hwy 33)

east_coast_john
02-28-2007, 02:09 PM
Hi Guys! I use to be the_real_cactusman when I was living in Tucson but after moving back home to Virginia I have a new name. east_coast_john

More to the subject, in recent times I have begun to re-explore some of the places I had almost forgotten about. I live not far from Harrisonburg Va and this area is filled with history. Unfortunately, much of it is comercialized. Now that the snow is melting, I intend to explore part of the old Va Hwy 33. The newer 33 cuts through the mountains travelling from Va to Wva and is a pretty enough drive but old 33 followed the contour of the land and was in use a VERY long time ago. I stumbled across it when I was a teen (at least a week ago), and have walked only a few miles of it. It has trees growing up trough the road. There are places where bridges use to be and all sorts of natural beauty. What I am looking for are any old settlements that may have been along the highway. If anyone knows of anything like that, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!

There is a lot more real information on the way.

To find my starting point, find hwy 33 on the map of Va. My start is about 10 miles east of the Wva line. The road follows a stream on the high side, and a river to the left. I'll get more specific soon.

Be safe!

Rattler
11-06-2007, 11:01 AM
My wife and I just returned from visiting her brother in Roanoke. Sounds not too far off from 311. We took that way last time we went. It was getting dark when we left yesterday so not much exploring was done.

After visiting the Roanoke, VA area a couple times now, I know you will never run out of areas to explore. Absolutely beautiful there.

We went to Roaring Run Park Saturday for a hike to the falls and did a bunch of 2-tracks too.

LauraA
11-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Although it's not in the direct area you're looking for John, the areas around Pedlar Mills, VA in Amherst County not far from Lynchburg might be worth a visit. I was last there in the late '70s. At the time there were ruins of old churches, plantations, covered bridges as well as a tiny deserted town. As I recall, there was even an abandoned copper mine in the area just east of Pedlar Mills. I was especially intrigued by the old family cemeteries in the area. The gravestones held quite a bit of interesting history. I suppose a lot may have changed since then...hopefully not condominiums, but if the area retains even a small bit of its original flavor, it would make a nice drive to check it out.

east_coast_john
11-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Hi Laura!!!
I agree that this area is filled with awesome places to visit! I recently took a hike along part of the Appalachian trail and found an abandoned church up in the mountains. I have some photography and intend to post it here in a few days. The church is in the woods on a trail in the skyline parkway. On the park map, its listed as the "Upper Pacosin Mission" and has quite the history surrounding it!

Thanks for reading my post!

east_coast_john

Formerly, the_real_cactusman

east_coast_john
11-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Rattler,
The mountains that you drove through are rich in civil war era history! I WHOLE LOTTA BLOOD was spilled around there. If you look around, you'll find the remains of old cabins peppered across the area. If you have a metal detector, thats a great was to find some civil war of your very own. If you decide to take that route , I councel to caution. There are plenty of little know laws in Va about that kind of thing.

No matter what you do or where you do it, be safe.

east_coast_john

Formerly, the_real_cactusman