PDA

View Full Version : Owens Valley

High Desert Drifter
03-19-2007, 12:01 PM
I was thinking of a weekend exploration trip around the Owens Valley area sometime in late April - Early May. Any of the gang up for it before it gets too hot?

Grn98TJ
03-19-2007, 04:33 PM
I've been looking at the north end of the White Mountains where 6 crosses into Nevada ,looks like some mines below Boundary Peak.

bad bob
03-19-2007, 05:09 PM
I was thinking of a weekend exploration trip around the Owens Valley area sometime in late April - Early May. Any of the gang up for it before it gets too hot?

Drifter, I'm in if ya can swing by and pick me up, oh and drop me off at my house on the way back. I can put up $15 fer gas and provide all the cactus coolers.:D

David A. Wright
03-19-2007, 05:48 PM
I've been looking at the north end of the White Mountains where 6 crosses into Nevada ,looks like some mines below Boundary Peak.

Look on the Buena Vista, Nevada page on this website. Most of the photos are mine taken in the mid-90s. Easy and beautiful country to explore.

Also check out the Montgomery City, California page.

And if you go to my website, check out my Blind Spring Hill page (in between the two Bentons). http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/blindspring.html

Grn98TJ
03-22-2007, 04:41 PM
Thanks for Buena Vista tip. Maps show road up Queen Canyon to Albert and Queen mines , ever been up that side?

David A. Wright
03-22-2007, 11:01 PM
No, but looking down into Queen Canyon from above shows many roads and mine dumps.

Grn98TJ
03-23-2007, 11:19 AM
Better satellite pic than Google?

High Desert Drifter
03-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Drifter, I'm in if ya can swing by and pick me up, oh and drop me off at my house on the way back. I can put up $15 fer gas and provide all the cactus coolers.:D

BB
$15 for gas should get us right about to the edge of Bakersfield! Actually I quit cactus coolers, I'm a slurpee man! do they got 7-11's in Owens Valley?

Actually I would have to pass through Bakersfield to get there and I can't convience any sane person in these parts to join me. someting about the desert that scares the city folk?... If your interested it would be the two of us in my Tacoma 4x4 dbl. Cab?

bad bob
03-23-2007, 05:16 PM
BB
$15 for gas should get us right about to the edge of Bakersfield! Actually I quit cactus coolers, I'm a slurpee man! do they got 7-11's in Owens Valley?

Actually I would have to pass through Bakersfield to get there and I can't convience any sane person in these parts to join me. someting about the desert that scares the city folk?... If your interested it would be the two of us in my Tacoma 4x4 dbl. Cab?

Well I may hafta work, but if I do, I hope ya'll stop by on yer way thru. It'd be a plezure to meet ya. Cell phone #'s via email OK?
I know you do slurpees. I didn't mean the cactus coolers in cans and bottles. I meant a real cactus, cut in half. :D

High Desert Drifter
03-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Well I may hafta work, but if I do, I hope ya'll stop by on yer way thru. It'd be a plezure to meet ya. Cell phone #'s via email OK?
I know you do slurpees. I didn't mean the cactus coolers in cans and bottles. I meant a real cactus, cut in half. :D

Well its gonna take some time to map out the area and research it. I'm off to a good start thanks to Mr. Wright himself. As I get closer to something resembling a departure I will let you know, and if you happen to be off that weekend maybe we can get something together.

bad bob
03-23-2007, 11:42 PM
Well its gonna take some time to map out the area and research it. I'm off to a good start thanks to Mr. Wright himself. As I get closer to something resembling a departure I will let you know, and if you happen to be off that weekend maybe we can get something together.

Drifter, ya got a deal.

And so far, I've not seen anyone with more info than D. Wright on a variety of related topics. Not to mention, published author.
I think his data base is housed in an old Costco building, and takes up at least two floors. :)

Flatiron
03-24-2007, 04:37 AM
Now, that would be quite a sight. Drifter and bb cruising along in the Tacoma sipping cactus coolers with saguaro needles stuck in every finger. Hey! Maybe you guys could double up on Drifters quad and have a slurpee fest while exploring the Owens Valley. You guys get to have all the fun. Please e-mail photos......heh,heh.....:eek:

bad bob
03-24-2007, 04:07 PM
Now, that would be quite a sight. Drifter and bb cruising along in the Tacoma sipping cactus coolers with saguaro needles stuck in every finger. Hey! Maybe you guys could double up on Drifters quad and have a slurpee fest while exploring the Owens Valley. You guys get to have all the fun. Please e-mail photos......heh,heh.....:eek:

I'm sure you'd be more than welcome to join in the merriment, Flat. And the photos'll probably be posted here. Better chance of someone wanting to order framed copies, that way. :p

GaryB
03-24-2007, 11:33 PM
Depending on when and how long, I might be interested. My Dad has always wanted to see the Lone Pine movie area.

Flatiron
03-25-2007, 04:11 PM
bb.....Thanks for the invite. As I told Drifter, I'm not sure if/when we'll be heading up to Lee Vining this Spring, but if we do I'd really enjoy doing some exploring in the Whites or Alabama Hills with this group. There's so many great spots to explore in the area, and such beautiful scenery. :D

High Desert Drifter
03-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Depending on when and how long, I might be interested. My Dad has always wanted to see the Lone Pine movie area.

I'll keep you posted as the time comes GB. be nice to have a second vehicle with us!