PDA

View Full Version : Ghost towns on from San Francisco to Yosemite?

safetybar
03-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Hello-

I know there are a handful of semi-ghost gold rush towns on the way to Yosemite from San Francisco. Does anyone know of any ghost towns or interesting abandoned sites that arent too far off the beaten path? Thanks in advance!

Sorry, just noticed the title error :)

High Desert Drifter
03-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Hello-

I know there are a handful of semi-ghost gold rush towns on the way to Yosemite from San Francisco. Does anyone know of any ghost towns or interesting abandoned sites that arent too far off the beaten path? Thanks in advance!

Sorry, just noticed the title error :)

There are not to many abandoned type ghost towns between SF and Yosemite that still exist. Most have been vandalized beyond belief, hauled off for building materials at other towns etc.. Many had only wall structures or foundations that remained but have since been totally overgrown by weeds etc. leaving nothing left to see. There are however tons of historic towns on the way like Chinese Camp, Big Oak Flat, Groveland, Jackson, Angles Camp, Copperopolis. all right off of hwy-120. Chinese Camp is the best when compared to abandoned because most of the historic buildings are empty although residents still reside in several homes surrounding the town. all of the towns I have listed here are in direct route to Yosemite and can be viewed here; www.highdesertdrifter.com

you might also check out Telegraph City on that web site.

if you have any questions or need directions feel free to pm me your email and I will hook you up.

David A. Wright
03-21-2007, 04:48 PM
If you want to venture a couple miles outside of Yosemite via Tioga Pass, you might check out Bennettville. You can find it on this site. It requires a short hike, but it's through dense forests and waterfalls at over 10,000 feet. A couple of wooden cabins, mine workings nearby.

safetybar
03-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the great responses. I was definately planning on exloring the towns off of 120. Bennettville looks great, but sadly Tioga will be closed when we are there next week.