PDA

View Full Version : "Jesse James"

Johnnie
04-03-2007, 08:17 AM
Today is a important date in our old west history..... 125 years ago on April 3, 1882 was a date that Bob Ford, shot JesseJames, in St Joseph ,Missouri at the hilltop home that Jesse and Zee.and his two children Jesse Edwaards, and Mary James rented useing the name Mr.& Mrs. J. D. Howard,

This house was just right for their situation and gave a commanding view of the local area and around the house clear down to the street below, so anyone approaching could be delt with if, need be.

Missouri's Governor Thomas Crienden, was aware from some tips, that Jesse, may be back in Missouri from several gang members, that were tracked down and were arrested, and seem to want to talk freely for exchange for lighter sententes, and maybe some others were just out for the rewards, posted all around the state.

The Grovernor, of Missiour persuaded the railroads to put up $5,000 for any member of the James Gang--- with an additional $5,000 each for Jesse, and Frank, The reward soon had some offers, from some new recruits of the James Gang,

Early in 1882 Bob and Charlie Ford wanted to be first at a chance at the big rewards, and had arranged a meeting, with the Governor, to get the ball rolling,

Bob Ford a wiry 21 year old, set up the meeting with the sheriff of Clay County, and together they formed a plan for the two brothers, to stay with Jesse and his family for awhile and get in his cofidence for the time being.

The Fords, were to tip off the Sheriff, when and what their plans were and when they were going to carry them out.. Sometime later after the Fords, move in with Jesse and his family that increible thing happened. When Jesse was strighting a picture, on the wall is when that a historical shot rang out,

Yea! thats when "The Dirty Little Coward" Shot Mr. Howaard", as the old saying goes.

As i remember from the book, i read 30 years ago written by Jesse Edward James Jr, the whole family was there in the next room, when Bob Ford, shot his father.

Jesse James Jr. did not follow in his fathers footsteps as some do. Jesse Jr.as he got older made a lot good friends, in thoes early years in Missiour, and was help by many lawmen that persued James Gang some 20 years earlier. Jesse Jr. later became a lawer, and even later move to Los Angles California, as did Mary, and both became first class citizens, This when Jesse E. James Jr. continued in his law practice. Where his son (Jesse E. James Jr. is lawer here in Orange County California today.

Several years ago i had a 16mm film of Jesse James Jr, taking in the late 1920s and had on vidio where Jesse Jr, protrays his father during the Civil War.

The Title of the movie is that Jesse Jr. is in "Uunder The Black Flag" and does have some orig. film clips of Jesse & Mary and the whole family at their home in Los Angles California.

I can't find the video's anywhere i must have loaned it out and never got it back can't remember but i guess there is copy's still out there in some historical film archives.

Also had a film of that outlaw Al Jennings, who also made their way out here to Hollywood, to persue and star in the film Industry. As did Wyatt Earp, Emment, Dalton, Charles Siringo, and some others, who i will post later on.

Anyway thats it for now
Happy Trails
Johnnie Sheila

bad bob
04-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Today is a important date in our old west history..... 125 years ago on April 3, 1882 was a date that Bob Ford, shot JesseJames, in St Joseph ,Missouri at the hilltop home that Jesse and Zee.and his two children Jesse Edwaards, and Mary James rented useing the name Mr.& Mrs. J. D. Howard,

This house was just right for their situation and gave a commanding view of the local area and around the house clear down to the street below, so anyone approaching could be delt with if, need be.

Missouri's Governor Thomas Crienden, was aware from some tips, that Jesse, may be back in Missouri from several gang members, that were tracked down and were arrested, and seem to want to talk freely for exchange for lighter sententes, and maybe some others were just out for the rewards, posted all around the state.

The Grovernor, of Missiour persuaded the railroads to put up $5,000 for any member of the James Gang--- with an additional $5,000 each for Jesse, and Frank, The reward soon had some offers, from some new recruits of the James Gang,

Early in 1882 Bob and Charlie Ford wanted to be first at a chance at the big rewards, and and had arranged a meeting, with the Governor, and to get ball rolling,

Bob Ford a wiry 21 year old, that set up the meeting with the sheriff of Clay County, and together they formed a plan for the two brothers, to stay with Jesse and his family for awhile and get in his cofidence for the time being.

The Fords, were to tip off the Sheriff, when and what he was going to do. Sometime later and after moving in with Jesse and his family that increible thing happened. When Jesse was strighting a picture, on the wall is when that a historical shot rang out,

Yea! thats when "The Dirty Little Coward" shot Mr. Howaard", as the old saying goes.

As i remember from the book, i read 30 years ago written by Jesse Edward James Jr, the whole family was there when Bob Ford, shot his father.

Jesse James Jr. did not follow in his fathers footsteps as some do. Jesse Jr.as he got older made a lot good friends, in thoes early years in Missiour, and was help by many lawmen that persued James Gang some 20 years earlier. Jesse Jr. later became a lawer, and even later move to Los Angles California, as did Mary, and both became first class citizens, This when Jesse E. James Jr. continued in his law practice. Where his Jesse E. James Jr. son is lawer here in Orange County California today.

Several years ago i had a 16mm film of Jesse James Jr, taking in the late 1920s and had on vidio where Jesse Jr, protrays his father during the Civil War.

The Title of the movie is that Jesse Jr. is in "Uunder The Black Flag" and does have some orig. film clips of Jesse & Mary and the whole family at their home in Los Angles Califnia.

I can't find the video's aanywhere i must have loaned it out and never got it back can't remember but i guess there is copys is still out there in some film archives.

Also had a film of that outlaw Al Jennings, who also made their way out here to Hollywood, to persue and star in the film Ind. As did Wyatt Earp, Emment, Dalton, John Siringo, and some others, who i will post later on.

Anyway thats it for now
Happy Trails
Johnnie Sheila

Johnnie & Shiela
Cannot thank you enough for this glimpse back into wild west history. And I hope you will continue to post msgs like this one.
Please don't take offense, but the line "the whole family was there when Bob Ford, shot his father", was priceless. Of course, everyone knows what ya meant, it just struck me as very funny as it came out.
But then, everbody also knows I'm not really mentally stable.
Now what'd I do with those directions to the asylum? Oh, yeah, here they are!

LauraA
04-03-2007, 09:36 AM
EXCELLENT post Johnnie & Sheila!! I love reading all the juicy tidbits which when added together make up our exciting western history. :)

Johnnie
04-03-2007, 09:54 AM
EXCELLENT post Johnnie & Sheila!! I love reading all the juicy tidbits which when added together make up our exciting western history. :)

Thanks Laura, I got a bit carried away should have not spent so much time on the web, I have a lot of things to do and now i behind on everything. Oh! tobe realy retired. :cool:

I just got posting a responce on your neat gold mine story, a few mintues ago, and as i was reading it over and push edit, i got tired a waiting to it to post and push (back) and i guess it did not post should have left it along the first time before editing it. Sometimes it does not pay to polish things up. I try to repost it later.

Johnnie & Sheila

Flatiron
04-04-2007, 05:25 AM
Johnnie and Sheila..........Once again, I enjoyed your story about the Old West and the Jesse James family. There has been so much written about the James Gang and their place in history, but not too many people know what happened to family members after that fateful day. I was lucky enough to know a few of the James descendants who lived in Tuolumne County, Ca. and probably a few of them are still living there. Jesse James III,IV,V(insert #) debunked a lot of the newspaper stories of that period, as the media, even back then, tended to enhance the stries a bit. It's too bad you don't still have the film clip in your possesion, as I'm sure it's a piece of history also. Anyway, thanks again for the interesting story on the James family......:D

speedy
04-04-2007, 05:41 AM
Johnnie & Shelia, really enjoyed the post. Was very interesting.....looking foreward to more of them......Speedy

Johnnie
04-04-2007, 06:05 AM
Johnnie & Shiela
Cannot thank you enough for this glimpse back into wild west history. And I hope you will continue to post msgs like this one.
Please don't take offense, but the line "the whole family was there when Bob Ford, shot his father", was priceless. Of course, everyone knows what ya meant, it just struck me as very funny as it came out.
But then, everbody also knows I'm not really mentally stable.
Now what'd I do with those directions to the asylum? Oh, yeah, here they are!

Thanks B B I can't take all the credit though. Most of the information was borrowed from my collection of old west books mainly the

(The Time Life Book Series)

And the part about The whole family being in the next room when that shot rang out must have been devastating.

Time Life books are one of
of the best book series ever put together in my opinion.:)

Thanks again Bob
Johnnie & Sheila

Johnnie
04-04-2007, 06:25 AM
Johnnie & Shelia, really enjoyed the post. Was very interesting.....looking foreward to more of them......Speedy

Thanks Speedy, enjoy your posts also:)

Johnnie & sheila

Johnnie
04-04-2007, 07:42 AM
Johnnie and Sheila..........Once again, I enjoyed your story about the Old West and the Jesse James family. There has been so much written about the James Gang and their place in history, but not too many people know what happened to family members after that fateful day. I was lucky enough to know a few of the James descendants who lived in Tuolumne County, Ca. and probably a few of them are still living there. Jesse James III,IV,V(insert #) debunked a lot of the newspaper stories of that period, as the media, even back then, tended to enhance the stries a bit. It's too bad you don't still have the film clip in your possesion, as I'm sure it's a piece of history also. Anyway, thanks again for the interesting story on the James family......:D

Thanks so much Flatiron, Sounds like you have alot of old west history stored away your archives as well, As many of us do and we want thank everyone who enjoyed our few "Tid Bits"
of old west history.

As far as those old films I' am sure there is many copies of those old historical films out there in some film archives. The other film that i had of Al Jenniings .playing himself was great also for it's time.

Emment Dalton, came out here to Hollywood to get on the bandwagon,as many others did Bill Tilghman the lawman from the mid-west states. When that part of the west was refered as "Indian Territory" produced and stared in his own western, and even hired many old Outlaws and Lawmen from years pass to star in his western.

Hollywood California, was attrackting many of the old west characters that seen an oppertunity to make an honest living

Wyatt Earp. Charles Serringo, Emmentt Dalton all became consultons for many of silant Movies and then the talkies as they were referd as.

Even one of the not to well known outlaws came to Hollywood, to try to make it into the movies, with not to much luck, and later choaked and died eating an "ice cream cone" back in the late 1920s He was the last old west outlaws, to rob one of last running stage coaches that took tourist through the Yellowstone State Park in the 1920s the name escapes me right now but will post later.

Emment Dalton, made an honest living in real estate, and was building contractor, and one of our friends ownes a small home that Emmment Dalton build up off the hiway known as the Grapevine, on the way to Bakerfields, California.

Wyatt Earp, diped into real estate business in San Diego in the early part of the 1900s and one of the Earps best friends in the movie industry, was William S. Hart, who always seek out advise from Wyatt, first hand what the real west was realy like.:)

Well thats it for now
will post more later
thanks to everyone enjoys this look back the old west archives.
Johnnie& Sheila

Johnnie
04-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Thanks so much Flatiron, Sounds like you have alot of old west history stored away your archives as well, As many of us do and we want thank everyone who enjoyed our few "Tid Bits"
of old west history.

As far as those old films I' am sure there is many copies of those old historical films out there in some film archives. The other film that i had of Al Jenniings .playing himself was great also for it's time.

Emment Dalton, came out here to Hollywood to get on the bandwagon,as many others did Bill Tilghman the lawman from the mid-west states. When that part of the west was refered as "Indian Territory" produced and stared in his own western, and even hired many old Outlaws and Lawmen from years pass to star in his western.

Hollywood California, was attrackting many of the old west characters that seen an oppertunity to make an honest living

Wyatt Earp. Charles Serringo, Emmentt Dalton all became consultons for many of silant Movies and then the talkies as they were referd as.

Even one of the not to well known outlaws came to Hollywood, to try to make it into the movies, with not to much luck, and later choaked and died eating an "ice cream cone" back in the late 1920s He was the last old west outlaws, to rob one of last running stage coaches that took tourist through the Yellowstone State Park in the 1920s the name escapes me right now but will post later.

Emment Dalton, made an honest living in real estate, and was building contractor, and one of our friends ownes a small home that Emmment Dalton build up off the hiway known as the Grapevine, on the way to Bakerfields, California.

Wyatt Earp, diped into real estate business in San Diego in the early part of the 1900s and one of the Earps best friends in the movie industry, was William S. Hart, who always seek out advise from Wyatt, first hand what the real west was realy like.:)

Well thats it for now
will post more later
thanks to everyone enjoys this look back the old west archives.
Johnnie& Sheila

New "Tid- Bits"
Hear is some more old west history

Yes! Billy King, came out to Hollywood also, For some the name Billy King, does not ring a bell. Well this Billy, spent some time in New Mexico as did Billy the Kid, but this Billy, landed up in Tombstone, and even wrote a book in1942 on his life and was "Titled Billy Kings Tombstone"The private Life Of an Arizona Boom Town.

Billy Kings was a good friend of Wyatt Earp, and at one time Billy, and Wyatt, were hired by the banks in Los Angles California as guards to tranfer money back in the 1920s

Mr. Kings book he tells of many of the charerters that live in Tombstone in the early days. Much has been written about Tombbstone over the years but only one , can tell it like Billy King,

Yes he experience it all ballroom fights , the honly-tonks, and fronttier underworld. It may be to some old citizens, and some writers insist, that nine tenth of Tombstone's early inhabitants were quite, and respectable homebodies, but Billy King, didn't know much about that kind of people. His friends came from the noisy minortity which keep the double doors swinging all night, and and glaasses clinking, and the chips changing hands.

Billy tells of the high Roller's and the Outlaws, and the Prostitutes, and the rich,, and the famouse, like the famouse frontier Doctor, GoodFelllow who came to aid of many outlaws.

A quote from Doctor Goodfellow himself. Many a time i was woke up in the middle of the night to go to aid of someone in a bad shape. I never ask how it happend that did not intrest me . My object was to help save a life. yes! Curly Bill ask for help several time as did the Earps.right after the O K CorralGunfight.

Even the Mexican People ask for his help on many occasions. the Mexicans called him "El Doctor Santo" -----the bless dooctor after his work among them at the time of the Sonora earthquake in 1887 He was summoned to attend many miles away and always responed no matter what the inconvenience. A very valuable person to have in such remote place on the western frontier. to say least.

Hope you fellow ghosttowner enjoyed this look back into the chararters that made history in the old west.:cool:

Johnnie & Sheila

GaryB
04-08-2007, 04:23 PM
There's a pretty good article about the movies portraying Jesse James and his gang in this month's True West Magazine.

Johnnie
04-09-2007, 06:20 AM
There's a pretty good article about the movies portraying Jesse James and his gang in this month's True West Magazine.

Thanks Gary, we will have our subscription renewed this week. we have not read that issue yet. We will check that out.. :)

Sheila & Johnnie

GaryB
04-09-2007, 08:01 AM
Well mostly they talk about how inaccurate they all really are, and which ones are the best as far as history value goes.

They also have an article about their favorite westerns (film and TV) and where they were supposedly filmed, and where they actually were filmed. They provide some basic info to find these filming locations for anyone interested.

bad bob
04-10-2007, 09:01 PM
I know I'm a few days late here on this, but many thanks fer another great look back, Johnnie. The narratives are...well.. priceless. :)
Keep 'em comin', if not too much trouble. Also, do ya have anything on the Custer/Little Bighorn Battle? One of the most studied military battles in US History.

bb.

Johnnie
04-11-2007, 05:56 AM
I know I'm a few days late here on this, but many thanks fer another great look back, Johnnie. The narratives are...well.. priceless. :)
Keep 'em comin', if not too much trouble. Also, do ya have anything on the Custer/Little Bighorn Battle? One of the most studied military battles in US History.

bb.

Thanks B B As far as Little Big Horn history.

We probly don't have to much more than what any of you history buffs aready know.

But we look through our files and try yo find something that is not widely known that some might find interesting.

I remember when my grandperents handing down the story to my mother & aunts, and uncles, that the ranch that they owned near the battlefield, some 10 years after famouse battle they could hike to nearest hill and look into the next valley and see bleach bones from and hores that the Calvery once rode on that day June of 1876.

I will check over our archives, and try to find some more great stories that have
been lost inbetween the pages of our :) history books.

Johnnie & Sheila

Johnnie
02-07-2008, 01:06 PM

Early in 1882 Bob and Charlie Ford wanted to be first at a chance at the big rewards, and had arranged a meeting, with the Governor, to get the ball rolling,

Bob Ford a wiry 21 year old, set up the meeting with the sheriff of Clay County, and together they formed a plan for the two brothers, to stay with Jesse and his family for awhile and get in his cofidence for the time being.

The Fords, were to tip off the Sheriff, when and what their plans were and when they were going to carry them out.. Sometime later after the Fords, move in with Jesse and his family that increible thing happened. When Jesse was strighting a picture, on the wall is when that a historical shot rang out,

Yea! thats when "The Dirty Little Coward" Shot Mr. Howaard", as the old saying goes.

As i remember from the book, i read 30 years ago written by Jesse Edward James Jr, the whole family was there in the next room, when Bob Ford, shot his father.

Jesse James Jr. did not follow in his fathers footsteps as some do. Jesse Jr.as he got older made a lot good friends, in thoes early years in Missiour, and was help by many lawmen that persued James Gang some 20 years earlier. Jesse Jr. later became a lawer, and even later move to Los Angles California, as did Mary, and both became first class citizens, This when Jesse E. James Jr. continued in his law practice. Where his son (Jesse E. James Jr. is lawer here in Orange County California today.

The Title of the movie is that Jesse Jr. is in "Uunder The Black Flag" and does have some orig. film clips of Jesse & Mary and the whole family at their home in Los Angles California.

I can't find the video's anywhere i must have loaned it out and never got it back can't remember but i guess there is copy's still out there in some historical film archives.

Also had a film of that outlaw Al Jennings, who also made their way out here to Hollywood, to persue and star in the film Industry. As did Wyatt Earp, Emment, Dalton, Charles Siringo, and some others, who i will post later on.

Anyway thats it for now
Happy Trails
Johnnie Sheila

Last year when i wrote this posting on who of the old Outlaws, and Lawmen, got into the movies and who started their own movie companys, but i did not go into to much detailed.

Well in this months issue of Wild West Magazine there is an artical that realy goes into more detail who did put together their own ,movie companys and the names of the historical movies and what year of the productions.

Also how Tokens played out in the old west.

Also an artical on the ghost town of St Elmo, Colorado originally called Forest City.

Many photos, and an artical telling of items from the Deadwood Museum.

There is a great artical on Wyatt Earp, and by the way my good friend, Lee Silva's second book on Wyatt Earp is close to completion and should be available soon. You can find out how to oder the book by going to Lee Silva web site----------> "New correctionon" for Lee's (web site) from last night----> wyattearpbook.com

Your fellow ghosttowners
Johnnie & Sheila

Gravelrash
02-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Johnnie, I want to thank you for your posts on the Old West. They've given me so many new directions to explore which I'd never have found otherwise.
As you know, I'm down in Australia where interest in the American Wild West and pioneering history is not as big as it should be!! That means it's also VERY hard to get hold of information on film from that era. Recently I saw a film on Bill Tilghman's life and now understand that he was also a film-maker?? I'd really appreciate it if you (or anyone else) could give me some info on how I could track down any of his work, titles of his films etc.
Many thanks.

LauraA
02-08-2008, 05:03 AM
The best as I can tell, he made a couple of films, 1908 "A Bank Robbery" and in 1915, another short silent film starring some of his contemporaries. "The Passing Of The Oklahoma Outlaws" There may be more info out there about him that I didn't find.

William Tilghman - Biography (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0863237/bio)

A Bank Robbery (1908) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0250244/)

Doug Dawgz Blog: Cops & Robbers 2 (http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2007/05/cops-robbers-2.html)

Johnnie
02-08-2008, 05:51 AM
The best as I can tell, he made a couple of films, 1908 "A Bank Robbery" and in 1915, another short silent film starring some of his contemporaries. "The Passing Of The Oklahoma Outlaws" There may be more info out there about him that I didn't find.

Doug Dawgz Blog: Cops & Robbers 2 (http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2007/05/cops-robbers-2.html)

Well! hello early bird, Thanks! Laura, We all appreciate your valueable input.

Your ghost pals
Johnnie & Sheila:)

LauraA
02-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Hi there Johnnie & Sheila! It's always good to see our resident Ghost Town Historians here as well. :)

Gravelrash
02-10-2008, 02:09 PM

Laura - that's really great info, as usual. I'm in your debt, ma'am!
It appears there are some minor benefits of encroaching old age!
I would never have seen the Tilghman film if I hadn't been up and unable to get back to sleep. It wasn't even listed in the program, so I take it's appearance as one of those cosmic slip-ups that occasionaly surprise and delight.
What a dude Bill was, but it must have been so hard for "those guys" to adapt to the new century, carrying all the memories of a much different life with them.
I seem to be experiencing something similar!

Johnnie
02-14-2008, 08:08 AM
Johnnie, I want to thank you for your posts on the Old West. They've given me so many new directions to explore which I'd never have found otherwise.
As you know, I'm down in Australia where interest in the American Wild West and pioneering history is not as big as it should be!! That means it's also VERY hard to get hold of information on film from that era. Recently I saw a film on Bill Tilghman's life and now understand that he was also a film-maker?? I'd really appreciate it if you (or anyone else) could give me some info on how I could track down any of his work, titles of his films etc.
Many thanks.

Gravelrash, We are not on the bulletin board as much are we would like to be.

We apology for not posting our thanks for the kind words. Our responces are not as instant as they shoud be and are sometimes are lost in the shuffle. Thanks again to Laura, for her short cuts to all the great "web-links" to what we all spend so much time trying to find. Sheila and I just can't find the time lately to post on the bulletin board, but maybe we will in the near future. :)

Your fellow ghosttowners
Johnnie & Sheila