PDA

View Full Version : Bully Bueno Mine

cactusjumper
04-04-2007, 09:11 PM
Does anyone know the location of the Bully Bueno Mine, which is said to be northwest of Goodwin, AZ? I assume it is close to the Orofino and Mastadon mines.

cj

LauraA
04-05-2007, 10:59 AM
mindat.org lists The Billy Bueno silver mine, but doesn't offer a map to get there. Maybe one of our GPS gurus can help you locate it.

Bully Bueno Mine, Goodwin, Turkey Creek District, Bradshaw Mts (Bradshaw Range), Yavapai Co., Arizona, USA (http://www.mindat.org/loc-44913.html)

cactusjumper
04-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Laura,

Thanks for the reply. I have a good deal of information already. It's conflicting, with the location cited as being north of Goodwin, as well as south.

I have a call into good friends who have published Off-Road books for Mohave and Yavapais....Luis & Paula Vega.

It's a mystery.....so far.

Thanks again,

cj

Toysx2
04-06-2007, 05:45 AM
Does anyone know the location of the Bully Bueno Mine, which is said to be northwest of Goodwin, AZ? I assume it is close to the Orofino and Mastadon mines.

cj

From the Arizona DMMR info, the Bully Bueno Mine is located at:

34 degrees 19' 03"
112 degrees 21' 27"

T11N
R1W
Section 3

HTH
Toysx2

Toysx2
04-06-2007, 06:13 AM
From the Arizona DMMR info, the Bully Bueno Mine is located at:

34 degrees 19' 03"
112 degrees 21' 27"

T11N
R1W
Section 3

HTH
Toysx2

Oops! The DMMR info above is correct for a primary listing of the Bully Bueno Mine, with an alternate name of Beaver Group 1.

BUT further down in the listings under a primary name of Beaver Group 2 and an alternate listing of Bully Bueno Mine is another set of co-ordinates of
34 degrees 21' 17"
112 degrees 21' 19"

T11N
R1W
Section 10

Under products, the top listing is shown as gold and "unknown" for the second. Additional info lists the lower co-ordinates as
"belonging to the Bully Bueno"

Hope my posts haven't totally confused the situation!:confused:

Toysx2

LauraA
04-06-2007, 06:43 AM
Toysx2, I've got this link for DMMR DMMR - Arizona Mining and Mineral Museum (http://mines.az.gov/General/museum.html) but I wasn't aware of a way to search their site for specific locations. I've used the Google search feature they've got, but never can find information. What am I missing or am I not typing the correct keywords into the search feature? ? :confused:
I've ordered maps from them before and they've been an excellent resource.

Toysx2
04-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Toysx2, I've got this link for DMMR DMMR - Arizona Mining and Mineral Museum (http://mines.az.gov/General/museum.html) but I wasn't aware of a way to search their site for specific locations. I've used the Google search feature they've got, but never can find information. What am I missing or am I not typing the correct keywords into the search feature? ? :confused:
I've ordered maps from them before and they've been an excellent resource.

Hi Laura,

I don't believe that you can get info from the DMMR directly through the web.

Instead, like you did, it is necessary to purchase the paper maps for each of the individual counties or purchase the CD from them that has the info for all of the counties. I went the CD route. The cost for it is $20.

But to use the CD, you have to have a database program(which I didn't know at the time). Their files were meant to be opened, processed and printed by DB IV, which I do not have.

I am not really familiar with database programs, but I have managed to work with the CD using Excel. It did take me a while to figure out how to print the info I wanted. And I am not sure that I am able to access all of the info on the CD, but I am more than satisfied with what I have found so far.

It is really neat to be able to sort the info, so that if I am going be within the boundaries of a particular topo map, as an example, I can find the mines that are supposed to be in the area very quickly.

It is also very helpful when I am headed out to know beforehand the mine's classification such as was it a producer, prospect, etc. I generally spend more energy going to the producers than the prospects. Although I found some very interesting machinery recently at a "prospect".

Once, I get the basic description for a particular mine,or mines, then I plug the co-ordinates into my mapping software to create a paper map.

HTH,

Toysx2

LauraA
04-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Toysx2, Yes, that helps thank you.
I had thought about purchasing the CD too, I'm glad I didn't, I know I would have become frustrated trying to access the information using my very limited computer skills.
I'll stick to the paper maps, they're quite good, I find I'm able to cross reference their maps which don't indicate all the roads with our forest service and other maps and get pretty close to where we want to go. The "key" booklet which is included with the maps indicates whether the location is a prospect, pit, mine or quarry and what the product was. Before we got the maps, we spent a few wasted trips only to end up at an old gravel pit. :o

dwightgbj
05-07-2007, 07:24 AM
The April 5, 1873 AZWeekly Miner gives the correct location. It never was at or near Goodwin. The chart in Hinton's Handbook was misread. The correct location is at 34.31570 Lat. -112.36075 Lon. I found a lot about it and the mill site, Bueno. Someone should do a history on both! I gave the correct info to the AZ Bureau of Mines, but they have not acted upon it. I have been to the mine and mill site. It is just as the the 1873 article tells about it. If you want a lot of info on it, I left a packet of info on both at Sharlot Hall Museum in Prescott.

toddz69
08-10-2007, 04:53 PM
The April 5, 1873 AZWeekly Miner gives the correct location. It never was at or near Goodwin. The chart in Hinton's Handbook was misread. The correct location is at 34.31570 Lat. -112.36075 Lon. I found a lot about it and the mill site, Bueno. Someone should do a history on both! I gave the correct info to the AZ Bureau of Mines, but they have not acted upon it. I have been to the mine and mill site. It is just as the the 1873 article tells about it. If you want a lot of info on it, I left a packet of info on both at Sharlot Hall Museum in Prescott.

Dwight: Thanks for dropping off the info at the museum. I stopped in briefly last Saturday when I was back home for a few hours and read the info you had collected. I was a little unsure (based on my quick scan of the literature) where the mine/mill site are relative to the current day Triangle M ranch location. Are they one and the same? I read the email from a Gary? that wrote to you about how he had climbed into the tunnel. He talked about walking up an overgrown road and finding the tunnel but I was unsure whether the road took off from the ranch or? Or do I just need to quit armchair-ghosttowning and get out there with my GPS and find the thing? :-). I'm familiar with the ranch - driven by it many many times.

Thanks,
Todd Z.

dwightgbj
10-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Hi Todd, Yes, as far as I can tell, The Triangle M and bueno are the same. The mine is about a mile and a half south of there. Head south and take the first left that you come to. when you top out overlooking Battle Flat, look for a large boulder on the left. That is the road to the mine. if you e-mail me I will send you a map of the mine. dwightbjr@yahoo.com (dwightbjr@yahoo.com)
sorry this took so long I haven't checked this for a long time. Dwight