PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone! This is my very first post,..

SkyStone
04-22-2007, 03:30 AM
Hello Everyone!
This is my very first post,..

I'm sure that this question must have been asked over and over, but, is it possible to live in a Ghost Town? (I suppose that would depend on several things naturally.)

Also, do any of the members of the forum currently live in a Ghost Town or something similar?

I ask because I'd like to live somewhere that is as close to ghost town living as possible.
I grew up in a small dairy farming town in southern Ma. and lived for several years in a 200 year old farm house surrounded by hundreds of acres of overgrown wheat fields and apple orchards. I recently saw a picture of an abandoned farmhouse that rekindled my desire to live in a simpler, unspoiled environment.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Mary, aka SkyStone

SkyStone
04-22-2007, 04:59 AM
P.S.

Is there any connection to Ghost Towns and Homesteading?

A response will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone! ;)

Mary

LauraA
04-23-2007, 05:47 AM
Hi Mary, Welcome to the Ghost Town Forum.
The only connection I can think of between ghost towns and homesteading would probably be an old connection when some towns were begun by early settlers who homesteaded the land originally.
Trying to homestead land nowadays while still possible, is more than likely an exercise in futility and I doubt very much if any ghost towns are located on land which would be available to be homesteaded. Potential homestead lands that I've read about often don't have any utilities available, some are even devoid of a water source. Here's a link you might find interesting.
Homestead.org: Exploring and enhancing the quality of life in rural (http://www.homestead.org/)
If you want to get back to basics, you might want to consider looking in out of the way, rural areas for old dilapidated farms or homes in less than desirable rural areas. Sometimes (although not often) they can be bought for less than market value. But, that being said, you'll still have to consider a way to earn an income unless you're independently wealthy or have a regular source of income. Jobs can be scarce in the boondocks. :)

SkyStone
04-23-2007, 06:34 AM
My interests are many and varied, it would be great to live in a rural or remote location.

I currently make my living buying and selling turquoise and antique Native American jewelry and do use the internet to buy and sell, and so that, electricity and a post office, are the only modern connivance that I really need to earn money.

Living in a "ghost town" with no utilities would be pretty rough, if not nearly impossible, for almost anyone, (even if it were legal), however the next best thing it would seem is to live in a nearly abandoned town.

I have explored many of the homesteading links and even traveled around the country years ago looking for an "intentional community" to no avail. I need to begin my search for a rural location anew.

Thanks again Laura!

Mary

LauraA
04-23-2007, 08:32 AM
Mary, Keep in mind when you're seeking a location. Check to see what internet connections are available in the area, especially if you use it for your livelihood. We're sorta out in the boondocks of Arizona and we connect via an extremely slow, dial-up connection (two juice cans and a string):rolleyes: and thus far, there aren't any other connection means available to us. It requires the patience of a saint to upload pictures or try to get any work done on the internet, never fails, right in the midst of a long upload or download....poof....booted AGAIN.
I don't know where you are, but Arizona still has some great remote locations and certainly has the availability of turquoise (Sleeping Beauty Mine is just down the road from us)

SkyStone
04-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Hi Laura,

I currently live in Massachusetts but am in the process of moving to the southwest; in fact I should be packing instead of playing on line. ;)

I have a friend I'll be staying with in Albuquerque for a while then I'll be off to explore for who know what.

I've been to one of the smaller turquoise mines in Nevada and would like to see more of them.

The last time I was in the southwest I bought a one way ticket and, although I hadn't planned it, I wound up staying for over a month and driving about 3,700 miles; I set out and just kept going! :D

I love the southwest, the people are so friendly compared to the northeast.

Yes, I realize that I have to consider the type of internet access that will be available wherever I land. Actually I'd rather just chuck it all and live off the land. Hey, I like nuts and berries anyway! :D

Thanks again,

Mary

40FORDJIM
04-23-2007, 09:51 AM
Skystone,
Take a look at Chloride, New Mexico. It is a ghost town with people. I think the population is 11 right now. We live in Silver City and there are remote outlying areas around here but not too far from necessities. Or Red Rock near the Arizona Border, Or.....Or.....

SkyStone
04-23-2007, 10:01 AM
I'll definitely check it out when I return to NM.

I'm a little shy sometimes but I can handle 11 people! Ha~! :D

Thanks for the great suggestion,

SkyStone

speedy
04-23-2007, 10:56 AM
Check out Chloride, NM on this site. There are some good pics. Winston is not far from there and is pretty cool also.....Speedy

SkyStone
04-23-2007, 04:27 PM
Check out Chloride, NM on this site. There are some good pics. Winston is not far from there and is pretty cool also.....Speedy

Hi Speedy, I did see it on this site, it looks perfect - Thanks!

11 people isn't too much; maybe if everybody spreads out we won't be falling over each other.

Ha~! :D

SkyStone

40FORDJIM
04-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Skystone,
My wife & I were there in March and half of the town is owned by one couple. They are very nice folks. There is a Gallery there (owned by them) and manned by volunteers. We found it to be a neat place. We are going back again this year to explore some more. We do not recommend Winston as a place to live as it is rumored to have a drug & booze problem...............Jim

bad bob
04-30-2007, 07:02 PM

Hey, I was gonna stop in Chloride a few months ago, but my eyes started burning. So I popped into Winston instead and had a smoke. <rim shot>
Thank you for that hearty round of everyone leaving.

brian10x
05-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Hey, I was gonna stop in Chloride a few months ago, but my eyes started burning. So I popped into Winston instead and had a smoke. <rim shot>
Thank you for that hearty round of everyone leaving.

I was a little busy. I was visiting Intercourse, PA.

It was a close call, though. I nearly ran out of gas in *** Mills, Wisconsin.

I started the trip last week in Blueballs, Pennsylvania

I pan of finishing my trip in Climax, North Carolina

The best part of my trip was in Hornytown, North Carolina

But they send me down the road to Hooker, Arkansas

Google is my friend

**** Nixon

bad bob
05-05-2007, 12:00 PM
I was a little busy. I was visiting Intercourse, PA.

It was a close call, though. I nearly ran out of gas in *** Mills, Wisconsin.

I started the trip last week in Blueballs, Pennsylvania

I pan of finishing my trip in Climax, North Carolina

The best part of my trip was in Hornytown, North Carolina

But they send me down the road to Hooker, Arkansas

Google is my friend

**** Nixon

So basically yer trip was a huge sucess! :eek:

Everything was going fine for me, until I fell in Wells, NV.

brian10x
05-05-2007, 12:19 PM
I'd have more time to reply, but I'm currently on a road trip to Big Beaver, SK .

This might take a while.

bad bob
05-05-2007, 01:34 PM
I'd have more time to reply, but I'm currently on a road trip to Big Beaver, SK .

This might take a while.

In that case I'll look for the spread in the local paper. I guess you'll be taking the bus out of there. So perhaps next week? :D

Gravelrash
10-03-2007, 05:58 PM
In that case I'll look for the spread in the local paper. I guess you'll be taking the bus out of there. So perhaps next week? :D

When you need some kootchie
http://www.rossie.com/kkg1.htm

I had a great laugh at this dudes stories! We all need a friend like this. He went in a cougar cave! Goota respect that!

bad bob
10-03-2007, 07:53 PM
When you need some kootchie
http://www.rossie.com/kkg1.htm

I had a great laugh at this dudes stories! We all need a friend like this. He went in a cougar cave! Goota respect that!

Great story/link Pete...course I'd still be sssshiiiverrrrinnng from the 38 degree water. :)

Gravelrash
10-03-2007, 10:55 PM
Great story/link Pete...course I'd still be sssshiiiverrrrinnng from the 38 degree water. :)

Yeeeeees - hmmmmm, I am wondering about the fate of the other 2 passengers! These sorts of fruitful meanderings help time pass, down in the house of filthy lucre. "You want fries with that?"

Now to figure out where in the blue blazes Kootchie Kootchie pass is!
I can't tell you how it made my day, to think that there's a tribe of Indians called the Kootchie Kootchie!!
(Don't burst my bubble if it isn't so. I'll hang on to this fantasy for a while longer!)

bad bob
10-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Yeeeeees - hmmmmm, I am wondering about the fate of the other 2 passengers! These sorts of fruitful meanderings help time pass, down in the house of filthy lucre. "You want fries with that?"

Now to figure out where in the blue blazes Kootchie Kootchie pass is!
I can't tell you how it made my day, to think that there's a tribe of Indians called the Kootchie Kootchie!!
(Don't burst my bubble if it isn't so. I'll hang on to this fantasy for a while longer!)

Yes and there's always Charo,
the "kootchie kootchie" girl.
:)

Johnnie
10-10-2007, 07:40 AM
Jes Bumping some crud off the road! :(

Right on! B B Thanks for being on the job so early We guess it's time to tune up old Betsy, and get her out too, gradeing and clearing bulldozing our roads to our ghosttowns. :cool:

Johnnie And The Road, & Shop Crew