04-25-2007, 08:07 AM
Must have stepped on somebodys toes
So it is gone now

Kelly
04-25-2007, 06:18 PM
:confused: :confused:

old judge
04-25-2007, 07:15 PM
Muchus grassiass Mala Roberto. What about White Oaks, Kelly? Was through there in '03. El Juis

LauraA
04-25-2007, 08:47 PM
Here's the link Kelly posted...it disappeared? Maybe we've got a ghost?! :eek:

GOLD RUSH DAYS in White Oaks, New Mexico, Memorial Day Weekend, 2007 (http://www.whiteoaksnewmexico.com/Home06/Gold07.html)

GaryB
04-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Must have stepped on somebodys toes
So it is gone now

No, Bob was bumping spam threads, and I deleted the spam and his bump post.

No toes were stepped on that I know of.

Kelly
04-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Thanks Gary,
I was just letting people know about Whiteoaks gold days.
I have no connection with them at all. Just wanted folks to know about it.

bad bob
04-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Lotsa great places to see in NM. Start up in the north, when it's hot, and then gradually nomad south.

Take the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic RR, out of Chama, NM.
It winds back and forth thru NM, and CO, and will spin ye back into 19th Century train travel for a few hours.

BTW, anyone know if the NM Tourism board is hiring now?

californienne
05-02-2007, 09:16 AM
thanks bob--i hadn't heard of the cumbres and toltec rr, and it looks pretty gorgeous on their website...something else to do someday! sigh :)

bad bob
05-02-2007, 10:46 AM
thanks bob--i hadn't heard of the cumbres and toltec rr, and it looks pretty gorgeous on their website...something else to do someday! sigh :)

You're quite welcome. There's another old rr, not too far north up in CO. The Durango to Silverton narrow guage. Have not been yet, but talked to some that have. It's not fer the weak hearted, travelling up and near the edges of sheer canyons. But, like Toltec, it's been in operation for (I guess) about a century or so, they must know what they're doin'! :eek:

Kelly
05-22-2007, 06:01 AM
http://www.whiteoaksnewmexico.com/Home06/Gold07.html

Gravelrash
09-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Bob, I "discovered" the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic RR, out of Chama, NM. just recently, while GoogleEarthing. It looked fantastic and has gone on my itinerary, right after the Durango/Silverton trip.
A few questions, if you don't mind.
There's a little rail halt called Osier, about half way. How long does the train stop there? Does it take on water/wood or is it just a quick stop?
Does it start in Chama?
I heard there is a 10a.m trip. Is that the only one for the day?
Does it only go as far as Antonito and then return?
The Wikipedia article on GE says there's a bunkhouse been built there. Do you know if it is for the public or just the rail workers?

40FORDJIM
09-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Take a look at www.cumbrestoltec.com (http://www.cumbrestoltec.com) There is a lot of info at that website. It is a great ride even though I prefer the Silverton train.

bad bob
09-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Bob, I "discovered" the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic RR, out of Chama, NM. just recently, while GoogleEarthing. It looked fantastic and has gone on my itinerary, right after the Durango/Silverton trip.
There's a little rail halt called Osier, about half way. How long does the train stop there? Does it take on water/wood or is it just a quick stop?
Does it start in Chama?
The Wikipedia article on GE says there's a bunkhouse been built there. Do you know if it is for the public or just the rail workers?

Hiya Gravel...I heard there were a few possible ways to go on this train. Round trip, or one way and drive back (some places have bus return, ie: the Skunk RR - Willits to Ft Bragg, CA), or take the train to the halfway point and return, all of which should be on their website. I have not been on this one yet but is supposed to be one of the best. I guess there's a meal stop at Osier, and you can board from either Chama or Antonito, which are the 2 terminals. Have no info on the bunkhouse, but will post if I turn up anything.
http://www.cumbrestoltec.com/

Further north, just over the NM border in Colorado is the Durango to Silverton Historic RR,
http://www.durangosilvertonrailroad.com/

http://www.durangotrain.com/

but I heard this one is not for the squeamish, as it travels over narrow guage, up a steep canyon with sheer drops much of the way.

Gravelrash
09-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Bob - thanks for that web link.
I've had a good look at the Durango/Silverton site and a lot of photos people took up there and posted om GE. Wow.... right up my alley. As I think I've said here before, the biggest mountain around here is 1,100ft!
Just on my mountains fixation - all my childhood/youth I had a "thing" about the Matterhorn. Finally got to go to Switzerland in '87 and up to Zermatt. Fogbound for all 3 days I was there. Only "matterhorn" I saw was on postcards! Hopefully Colorado won't be so disappointing!

Gravelrash
09-02-2007, 08:25 PM
40FORDJIM - thanks for replying. I'm gonna indulge myself and take both trips!
After that, I may never come home. I figure, with 12,000,000 illegals living in the States, and plenty more flooding in over the border, the authorities won't notice me and anyway, I come with a built in bonus - I love America and wish her no harm. Unlike some others........

ghost_town_huntress
09-03-2007, 08:22 AM
I would definitely suggest the Durango-Silverton. I've been wanting to do that one for years; the one time we were in the area was in the winter and the one train for the day had already left. I haven't been able to explore around Colorado at all yet, that's one of my dreams.

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

Does it start in Chama?