PDA

View Full Version : Way to Berlin, Nevada..........

cumulonimbus
05-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Hi, I am a new forum member and a passionate lover of ghost towns and historical sites of the old West. I am planning a photography trip to Berlin, Nv with large format camera equipment this coming weekend, May 12th, from Los Angeles. Can anyone give me the best directions to get there? I will post images of the place once I get the films processed. Thank you in advance.

bad bob
05-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Hi, I am a new forum member and a passionate lover of ghost towns and historical sites of the old West. I am planning a photography trip to Berlin, Nv with large format camera equipment this coming weekend, May 12th, from Los Angeles. Can anyone give me the best directions to get there? I will post images of the place once I get the films processed. Thank you in advance.

From Gabbs on NV 361, take gravel? road 16 miles (my book shows this road as SR91, so maybe it's paved now.). At fork bear left as if going to Ione. About halfway to Ione, you should see structures of Berlin on right hillside. A bit farther is a dirt road bearing sharp right, to Berlin. I'd also stop at Gabbs and question one of the old-timers. Most are happy to oblige. :)

Berlin is also HQ for Ichthyosaur SP, book says xlnt campgrounds there. Be nice to see what remains at Berlin, and condition.

cumulonimbus
05-09-2007, 01:10 AM
Thank you for your kind response, Bob. I will post what I shoot when I get back.

GaryB
05-09-2007, 08:40 AM
Berlin itself is part of the state park and is patrolled by rangers. So since it has been adopted, the remains are decently well kept. Especially since you have to pay to see them.

http://www.parks.nv.gov/bi.htm

Mikejts
05-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Here are some photos of Berlin in 2005. Neat place. I took over 500 photos while I was there. Rangers are very informative.

PS - Make sure you have a full tank of gas..

http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com/berlin_nevada_ghost_town.htm

bad bob
05-13-2007, 12:30 PM
Here are some photos of Berlin in 2005. Neat place. I took over 500 photos while I was there. Rangers are very informative.

PS - Make sure you have a full tank of gas..

http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com/berlin_nevada_ghost_town.htm

Rocky those photos are some of the best. I'd seen them before at your site, but still great to "revisit" them.

But isn't there a gas station in Gabbs? If not, it does look like quite a ways. Fallon or Austin from the north. Hawthorne, or Luning from the south.

Mikejts
05-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Rocky those photos are some of the best. I'd seen them before at your site, but still great to "revisit" them.

But isn't there a gas station in Gabbs? If not, it does look like quite a ways. Fallon or Austin from the north. Hawthorne, or Luning from the south.

Yep - Gabbs has a gas station but it is only open certain hours. I made the mistake of not filling up when I went thru Hawthorne thinking "there must be gas in those towns." Had to go to the post office and raise the mailman to find the gas station owner to get filled up.

GaryB
05-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Yep - Gabbs has a gas station but it is only open certain hours. I made the mistake of not filling up when I went thru Hawthorne thinking "there must be gas in those towns." Had to go to the post office and raise the mailman to find the gas station owner to get filled up.

You have to love small towns.

cumulonimbus
05-18-2007, 12:42 AM
Thank you everyone for the information. Mike, the images are wonderful and inspiring. I am waiting for the clouds to roll in before I set off that way to shoot.

Mikejts
05-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Thank you everyone for the information. Mike, the images are wonderful and inspiring. I am waiting for the clouds to roll in before I set off that way to shoot.

I appreciate your kind words. I also appreciating you visiting my site. If you have stories to share about places on my site send them to me. I have decided to start adding some of the stories / comments people send to me. I have been fortunate to have some wonderful people share their family histories, photos, etc. It is refreshing.

Again a BIG THANKS