PDA

View Full Version : TOO many Pop Ups

Gary Weaver
05-10-2007, 04:11 AM
It has been 6 months since I have been to this forum there are so many pop ups I HATE these pop ups. The pop ups just keep comming one right after the other. I have 9 pop ups already and I have been here less than 1 minute. What a bunch of bull#h#t. I have never seen so dam# many pop ups in my life. My Son is the computer wizzard he has pop up blocker on our computer I have not seen a pop up in 6 months this is the only place where I get pop ups.

LauraA
05-10-2007, 05:34 AM
It has been 6 months since I have been to this forum there are so many pop ups I HATE this place. The pop ups just keep comming one right after the other. I have 9 pop ups already and I have been here less than 1 minute. What a bunch of bull ****.

Popups unfortunately are a way of life on the internet. I use popup blockers and don't get a single popup anywhere on the web. There are free programs available to block popups. Maybe they wouldn't be worth your time however, it you believe this is just "a bunch of bull****" and you "HATE this place."

This link might be of interest to you however, especially if soggy cornflakes upset you early in the morning. :rolleyes:

Anger Management and Controlling Anger Information (http://www.selfgrowth.com/anger.html)

speedy
05-10-2007, 05:34 AM
I've never gotten a "pop up" here.......

40FORDJIM
05-10-2007, 05:42 AM
I got a lot of "pop-ups" too. I find them very annoying. I think I'll take Laura's advice and look for one of those free pop-up blockers. Any recommendations Laura?

LauraA
05-10-2007, 06:02 AM
Jim, I use Webroot's Spysweeper and AOL's popup controls. AOL's blockers are included with membership. Webroot is a pay-for program. You can try Googling "free popup blockers" and see what comes up. There are some shareware programs available, but I don't recall the names. You might want check with your server, many include blockers as part of their membership.
In the time it took me to type this, my AOL controls blocked 11 popups, it keeps a count of what and how many are blocked.

GaryB
05-10-2007, 07:20 AM
I use Webroot's Spysweeper too, as well as Norton Anti-virus and Anti-spam. No issues what so ever. But those are not free.

I'd be careful trying out "free" to download pop up blockers that are not from a reputable source. Most, if not all the brand name sources offer free trials that give you an idea if they are worth it.

About the only "free ware" I use is HiJack This and Clean-Up.

BTW, the pop ups are what pay the bills. So unless we all went to paid subscriptions, it's a necessity to keep this place going.

Kelly
05-10-2007, 04:08 PM
I have all of the popups blocked here,and have no problem at all with this site.
But somebody needs to sell Brian a new phone or TV or something.:p :D :D

brian10x
05-12-2007, 04:33 AM
Jim, I use Webroot's Spysweeper and AOL's popup controls. AOL's blockers are included with membership. Webroot is a pay-for program. You can try Googling "free popup blockers" and see what comes up. There are some shareware programs available, but I don't recall the names. You might want check with your server, many include blockers as part of their membership.
In the time it took me to type this, my AOL controls blocked 11 popups, it keeps a count of what and how many are blocked.

The free Google software works really well for me.
http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer_new.html?ciNum=10

brian10x
05-12-2007, 04:40 AM
I have all of the popups blocked here,and have no problem at all with this site.
But somebody needs to sell Brian a new phone or TV or something.:p :D :D

I have my Visa card ready. I'd like to know who to send payment to , please. I'm waiting on my Nokias.

By the way, what are Nokias?

Hip Daddy

bad bob
05-12-2007, 09:50 AM
By the way, what are Nokias?

Hip Daddy

Nokias are the little metal tools used for opening nodoras! Thought everyone knew that.

Rockcrusher
05-12-2007, 11:03 AM
. . . BTW, the pop ups are what pay the bills. So unless we all went to paid subscriptions, it's a necessity to keep this place going.

I'd buy into that. I'm registered on several sites that have paid subscriptions . . . $20, maybe $30 a year. I even have money left over for beer and Jeep parts.

GaryB
05-12-2007, 01:46 PM
I'd buy into that. I'm registered on several sites that have paid subscriptions . . . $20, maybe $30 a year. I even have money left over for beer and Jeep parts.

I as well. Most of them are non "member" friendly, as in you can post, but your abilities (edit, picture post, etc) is limited. Paying members get full privileges, among some other things. I'm not too sure that would work here though, as we're mostly a small group and I don't think we'd create the revenue to fund the site out right. But maybe something along the lines of a "honorary member" for those that contribute donations. Then certain privileges or bonus's could be set up for them.

brian10x
05-12-2007, 09:29 PM
I got a lot of "pop-ups" too. I find them very annoying. I think I'll take Laura's advice and look for one of those free pop-up blockers. Any recommendations Laura?

Jim, thats a beautiful Ford you have there. Could I please request a bigger picture? How long have you had it?

Brian Souza
Pee drinker

40FORDJIM
05-13-2007, 08:49 AM
I bought this car in Michigan in 1962 for $175 !! I worked for Ford Motor Co. at the time. After much restoration, I finally got it on the road in November 2006 here in New Mexico. Drive it at least once a week.

Mikejts
05-13-2007, 09:37 AM
I use Googles free tool bar and popup blocker. Works great for me. I also shut the sound off. That was really annoying.

GaryB
05-13-2007, 01:39 PM
I bought this car in Michigan in 1962 for $175 !! I worked for Ford Motor Co. at the time. After much restoration, I finally got it on the road in November 2006 here in New Mexico. Drive it at least once a week.

Sweet ride. Always wanted a '40 pick me up myself.

brian10x
05-13-2007, 07:15 PM

STUNNING! For $175.00, I bet you didn't get much car to start with. Is the drivetrain original?

speedy
05-14-2007, 05:45 AM
Beautiful car......I'm green with envy.

40FORDJIM
05-14-2007, 06:25 AM
The car was a typical Michigan car eaten by salt. Big holes in the floor, rust out around the fenders, trunk, and door bottoms, etc.... All of that was replaced of course. Now has new leather (original) upholstery and new top. I kept the car all original in appearance and function as possible. The drivetrain is original. The engine was rebuilt (had about 66,000 miles on it). The car was built in March of 1940 and is painted the original color ...Garnet...which was a special Spring promotional color. I now have about $8000 in it even though I did all the work myself !! It runs great....gets 10mpg around town and 15 on the highway.

GaryB
05-14-2007, 12:18 PM
It runs great....gets 10mpg around town and 15 on the highway.

Wow, the same as a new truck. It's amazing the technological constraints put on vehicles by the auto manufacturers over the last 50 years. And the (was) Big 3 wonder why an outside auto manufacturer is number # 1 now :rolleyes:

brian10x
05-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Wow, the same as a new truck.

I see your point, but lets be fair here.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_specs-85to100mid.htm

Its got less than 100 horsepower, only 3 main bearings (correct me if) and needs a tune up every 3k miles.

That said, I'd just love to have an old flatty t-bucket rat rod!

speedy
05-15-2007, 05:44 AM
I wonder if it could pass an emissions inspection?

brian10x
05-15-2007, 05:40 PM
I wonder if it could pass an emissions inspection?

Pre-1965 autos are exempt.

To answer your question, not a chance in Heck.

GaryB
05-16-2007, 08:04 AM
I don't know, for curiosity we once smogged a friends '56 F-100 with the 292 T-Bird motor and triple single barrel carbs and it passed well below the Nevada standards for vehicles pre-1980. It was a rebuilt motor, not original, but even so the parts were the same, so it was like a new motor to the standards of yesteryear. And with the 3-speed manual with overdrive, it got around 20 MPG on the highway. City wasn't too bad that I recall, something like 10 MPG. Not bad since overdrive in town was almost never used.

100 HP is just as useful as 400 HP when going 70 MPH down the highway. I have one on each end of the spectrum, and I wouldn't trade either on anything out today.

Flatiron
05-18-2007, 06:36 PM
My old 1968 Camoro Z-28 RS passed the emissions test about 7-8 years ago with flying colors. Kinda surprised me.........