PDA

View Full Version : Cemetary at Pearl, ID

tbutler
05-15-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm taking my kids up to Pearl this weekend, and I thought it would be cool to check out the cemetary while we're there. The only problem is, I don't know where it is. I've been there a few times but have never seen it. Does anyone know where it's at?

Thanks!
Tom

old judge
05-15-2007, 12:17 PM
T: Check the other thread on Pearl, Idaho. It may give you some hints. All I could ascertain was a reference to the Cemetery being on Private Property in the Section, section 16, to the West of Pearl, which is in 15. I sure couldn't find it on any maps, nor could I find a better location. That narrows it to a square mile. Probably near a trail or roadway??? OJ

tbutler
05-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Thanks OJ! I posted a couple links on Peal here a while back, one of which had some info on the cemetary, but the link is dead now. Shoulda copied it when I had the chance I guess. Anyways, the only other info I've found is this:

"And west of where the town once stood, on a windy hilltop, next to an abandoned road, lies the cemetery."

This is gonna end up being a treasure hunt, i'll definately mark it on my GPS if I find it.

T

tbutler
05-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Here's a topo map of Section 16, mentioned by Old Judge:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=43.85829&lon=-116.34305&s=25&size=l&u=4&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

Looks like there is some kind of feature in the upper left corner of this section, maybe that's our cemetery? I'll soon find out! :cool:

tbutler
05-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Nevermind, looked on Google Earth and there's a freakin house there.

old judge
05-15-2007, 07:43 PM
T.: If you were looking at what appeared to be a cross, I eye-balled that for a while too. It's just an elevation mark, but does look out of place, and a little like a cemetery marking. Hope you find the cemetery...Wish I were there looking with you. OJ

Georgie
04-17-2009, 11:20 AM
My dad, John M. George was born in Pearl, Idaho, in 1910, along with most of his 8 siblings that came before him. His father, John David George owned 1/4 interest in the Checkmate Mine, and owned the Shamrock. I have pictures of the site of Pearl from the early part of the 20th century and a couple taken in 1946 or so, and some I took in 1999, which is the year my dad died. I had never been to Pearl before 1999, but something told me it was time to see about it. There was still enough there at the time that I could place certain building's locations such as the school house. My Aunt Annie taught there. When I went back in 2005, it had been razed to the ground. So sad.
When I got out of my car (1999) I could feel the loneliness of the place, could hear the old voices on the wind (yeah, I know what some of you are thinking!). I sat down in the middle of the road and let the atmosphere of the place envelope me, remembered the stories my dad told of living there. It was quite an experience.
I'll see if I can't find the old pictures and get them posted.

Georgie
04-17-2009, 11:24 AM
If you go to the museum in Emmett, (look on your map if you don't know where it is) you can probably find out more about Pearl. They have a small section devoted to Pearl. The lady who I talked to in 1999 knew a great deal about Pearl. Best to call (the Police Dept can tell you, probably) ahead for the times that it is open.

Broam17
04-25-2009, 07:15 PM
I went to try and find the cemetary and the mines today. Didnt find anything but the mines. But we had a Blast getting there and exploring other trails. :D

45-70Ranger
04-25-2009, 11:01 PM
Hi Georgie and Broam17,
Welcome to the forum.:D
You two are where I'd like to visit someday.

Darin
04-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Hi Georgie and Broam17,
Welcome to the forum.:D
Yeah, what 45-70 said. WELCOME!!!
I can't wait to get out that way myself since I'm only in the next state. Sounds like Pearl is a must see.;)

DirtyDog
04-27-2009, 08:17 AM
What's the "next state", Oregon? That's where I live. In fact when I head into Idaho I cross Pearl Road, which is now broken up by farms, freeway, railroads, towns and whatnot, but I believe in years past probably went from Pearl Idaho to old Fort Boise (at confluence of Boise River and Snake River).

Darin
04-27-2009, 10:05 AM
What's the "next state", Oregon? That's where I live. In fact when I head into Idaho I cross Pearl Road, which is now broken up by farms, freeway, railroads, towns and whatnot, but I believe in years past probably went from Pearl Idaho to old Fort Boise (at confluence of Boise River and Snake River).No, We are up in Wahsington, But I gotta say cudos on your town of Shaniko. My wife and I really liked it and found that the propriator of the little candy shop was very informative about that town from past to present.;)

songcroft
01-29-2010, 12:17 PM
My dad was also born in Pearl, and lived there until he was a teenager, one of 10 brothers being raised by a single mom. Thanks for the info on the museum in Emmett - I'm headed to Boise with my son for a swim meet in March, and plan to try to find the place. The only time we tried while my dad was living ended at a locked gate up a dirt road outside of Boise. I'm hoping I can get there in a Honda Civic, without GPS and all.

shaferid
06-13-2010, 08:19 AM
I have hiked to the pearl cemetery and taken pictures of the place- the current owners of the property don't like folks to go up there 'cause a lot of the heathens have damaged the cemetery (not to mention leaving gates open for cattle to run lose). The cemetery is surrounded by an iron fence, my wife and I went up there on memorial day 04 or 05? and took the pictures and cleaned up the place somewhat. The cemetery is overrun with wild roses and rattlesnakes. The cemetery has 45 graves in it. (although there may actually be 46 grave sites-still some confusion on that) In 1997 I became curious about the cemetery and started researching to see who was buried there, I have enough stuff to write a small book on the subject (if I knew how to write a book) I'll see if I can post some pictures.