PDA

View Full Version : Cycling to the ruins.

bentstrider
06-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Motor vehicles aside and all, I was wondering if anyone here has tried to ride a bike to any ghost town.
Given their remote locations, I could see why some would prefer pistons over pedals.
But, that's the way I usually choose to roll.
I'm planning on upgrading to a recumbent bike myself to make the longer rides more enjoyable, and to carry more gear.
I also tend to think bikes tend to attract lesser attention when it comes to dubious characters.

LostInMissouri
06-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Well, most I go to are so remote that biking 30 miles or more isn't really practical. Also, the maps, camera, and GPS unit ride better in my car. But if you can do it, more power to you :D

bentstrider
06-09-2007, 10:07 AM
I'm guessing that's why so many haven't responded.
I'm probably alone in feeling like this due to the fact my job is driving a bigrig.
After spending hours in there, I like to get my exercise and then some.

Gary Weaver
06-10-2007, 07:15 PM
When I was 14 years old I use to ride my bicycle up the mountain every Saturday morning. I would spend the day at the top of the mountain hiking and exploring the mountain. One day I found a small cave on the mountain. At the end of the day I would ride my bicycle down the mountain. I would hold the brake all the way down to make sure I did not go too fast. Then when I was almost at the bottom on the mountain I would release the brake to see how fast I could go. Each Saturday I would release the brake a little bit sooner than I did the week before. Each Saturday I would go a little faster than the week before. School was out and my parents were moving away from the Phoenix Arizona area to Illinois. I knew this was the very last Saturday I would get to ride the mountain. I decided on the way down this time I was going to release the brake much sooner just to see how fast I could go down the mountain. On the way down I held the brake like I always did when I came to the place where the road was straight for as far as I could see I decided this was the place to release the brake and let it fly. I chickened out and kept holding the brake a little longer. I decided I was still a little to high up the mountain to release the brake. Then I decided to pick up a lot of speed and use the brake to keep myself from going any faster. I picked up a bunch of speed I was probably doing 40 mph down the mountain. I put on the brake, the friction generated so much heat at this speed the brakes locked up and had to be release instantly. I tried again and again and the brakes locked up every time. I was picking up speed very fast I needed to do something very quick. I started to pump the brakes on/off, on/off, on/off, on/off, over and over it was not slowing me down but it was keeping me from picking up more speed. Then all of a sudden the brake gave out and I had no brakes at all. I was picking up speed fast and I was still 1/4 mile from the bottom of the mountain. Soon I was going so fast my eyes started to water and I could not see. There was nothing I could do but hang on and ride it out. I kept blinking my eyes and turning my head from side to side so I could see just barely enough to keep the bicycle on the road. I was flying. I may have been doing 70 mph or better at this point. All of a sudden something went, BOOM click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click. Then a few seconds later again something went, BOOM click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click. Then seconds later something went BOOM BOOM click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click. Then another BOOM click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click. Then a BOOM BOOM BOOM click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click. Then BOOM BOOM click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click. The spokes in the wheels were breaking that is what was making the BOOM sound. The clicking was the spokes banging the frame as the wheels both go around. Finally I had reached the bottom of the mountain and I was starting to slow down. I coasted for ever and finally came to a stop. About 10 to 12 spokes in each wheel has broken and were all wrapped up around the axles. I did not have any tools with me and it took me 30 minutes to get the bike so I could ride it again. I pushed the bike backwards to force some of the spokes to come untangled from the axles. I got several of the spokes loose but could not remove them completely so I wrapped the loose ends of the broken spokes round some of the good spokes to keep them from getting tangled around the axle again. Finally I was able to ride the bike home.

Tsarevna
06-13-2007, 01:07 PM
You could certainly ride a bike to Kinton or Scholls, were you in the Portland, OR area. Kinton is West, along a pleasant country road, from Tigard, a Portland suburb. After snapping pictures of the old schoolhouse you can continue South down Scholl's Ferry Road, across the bridge there to Scholls, a semi-ghost town that's like a time capsule in some respects. There's an old tile mill with smokestack and everything, and the old administrator's building still stands next to the Tualatin river, looking just like it did in 1875 photographs. :)

I think you'd just need to find a bike route in between semi-ghost towns, and you'd do just fine.

rabbit
10-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Here's a guy from the Bay Area who takes the train to Baker and then spends weeks at a time tooling around Mojave and Death Valley on his bicycle:

http://www.priss.org/99/

mainmanwalkin
10-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Whoa, that link leads to one of the best and craziest bicycle road-trip stories I've ever read! Thanks for sending it along Bentstrider :cool:

mainmanwalkin
10-27-2007, 01:14 PM
ohhh, I mean Thanks Rabbit! :D

Gravelrash
10-27-2007, 02:49 PM
You were right - a great read. The guy writes well without too much "me" focus.
I was a bit disheartened to read of his Amboy experience as Amboy was on my "Route 66" must do list! I guess now I have to go, just to see the waiter from ****! Kind of a desert John Cleese!

Gravelrash
10-27-2007, 02:53 PM
BOOM click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click. Then a few seconds later again something went, BOOM click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click. Then seconds later something went BOOM BOOM click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click.

Wow, Gary - you really brought back some memories! 42 years later I still have bits of gravel in both thumb-pads from my first and only Boom, click, click!
Seems I've been attracting gravel rash all my life!:rolleyes: