PDA

View Full Version : Chloride, NM

Patsy
06-26-2007, 08:32 AM
The 1st Birthday Bash for the Monte Cristo Gift Shop and Gallery will be on Saturday July 7, from 10am to 4 pm. The Gallery is located in the old Monte Cristo Saloon and Dance Hall which was built in 1990 to serve thirsty miners in this Ghost town. The Monte Cristo is home to the works of more than two dozen local artists. Come for book signings (I will be there with my Sadie Orchard book), arts, crafts, cowboy poetry and music. For more info contact me or e-mail montecristo@zianet.com

Walkingsticks
10-25-2007, 09:50 PM
Don't you mean 1890? I had my 75th birthday party in the restored town of Cloride, NM which is 42 miles from my home in T or C. We have gone west into the canyon not far from the museum in town. The man that owns the museum owns most of the town and is restoring it. Up that canyon a few miles are Indian petrographs on the side of the road and even Indian caves. There are also petrographs south of Winston, another old mining town three miles northeast of Chloride. Both towns are occupied by people. But Sierra County has dozens of real ghost towns that takes a lot of effort getting to them; four wheel drive and hiking in.
But for the old towns that have been restored you need to see Hillsboro in Sierra County, San Juan and San Lorenzo in Grant County. Royal John is the best for an abandon ghost town in fairly good shape in the Mimbres Mountains of Grant County, but you need a high clearance vehicle to get there and the road is very steep and narrow.

yugamu
11-17-2007, 08:11 PM
I went to Chloride a few weeks back. Very neat place well worth the stop.

-Josh

Digger60
01-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Chloride is a really nice place to visit! The restoration project is going well and it's quite picturesque. People there are nice too. We're recently located from California and I've been feeling the withdrawls of ghosttowning the Sierra Nevadas where there was an overabundance of abandoned towns, mines, tailings, dumps and other goodies a dump digger like me can waste away many hours. Recently visited Magdalena and Riley. We didn't have much time to explore, but on sight there was a lot of beautiful rose quartz openly scattered and lots of animal bones that my kids got a kick out of seeing. Personally it gave me the creeps...lots of bones doesn't fare well with me and put me on my guard. We're located in Cruces and have a lifted 4x4 Jeep Liberty and are definitely up for any advice or exploration with other ghost towners. Feel free to hit me up!

tuutuutango
01-31-2008, 06:15 PM
In looking at Google Maps, I see lots of roads where someone with the gumption could drive to and from Chloride to Mogollon. Has anybody on this forum done this and if so, is this a 4x4 Jeep only adventure? (In good weather, not this time of year obviously..)

Too bad Google Maps can't show this region in a higher resolution... The pictures are so bad, one really needs to look at the MAP version instead of the satellite view.

DirtyDog
03-04-2008, 12:50 PM
GoogleMaps has a new feature called "Terrain" which shows the physical properties of the land without trees, buildings, etc. You can now see the canyons, mountains and valleys and the roads thereon.

40FORDJIM
03-04-2008, 05:40 PM
I have driven that route in a 4wd Ford Excursion. I do not recommend it when the route is muddy like it was when I drove it. I never got stuck but it was difficult at times trying to go straight !

Kelly
03-04-2008, 06:56 PM
In looking at Google Maps, I see lots of roads where someone with the gumption could drive to and from Chloride to Mogollon. Has anybody on this forum done this and if so, is this a 4x4 Jeep only adventure? (In good weather, not this time of year obviously..)

Too bad Google Maps can't show this region in a higher resolution... The pictures are so bad, one really needs to look at the MAP version instead of the satellite view.
I have been on that road lots of times. It is closed from williow creek to mogollon in the winter. But it is a real nice drive in the summer. Go from Chliorde to beaverhead then to snow lake,and on to mogollon. Make sure to take extra gas.