PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Towners Check List

Ghost Toon
07-15-2007, 10:12 PM
I am new to Ghost Towning and wanted to know what some of the experienced member would suggest bringing along when going to a site. What are the essentials and such?

danbo
07-19-2007, 07:39 AM
Here’s my short list, think survival!

A plan and folks back home who know where you went.
Capable vehicle. I prefer a Rubicon. Any purpose built 4x4 will do well. Factory “Cute-Ute’s” are not capable, sorry L ( lockers = less winching )
Full tank of gas, GI cans are good insurance. Mount them high and outside the vehicle to guard against fumes and rear end collisions.
Larger caliber revolver with extra ammo. I prefer a 686.
Extra canned food and water. Tape a p-38 to the lid of your canned stew.
A good map and a good compass. An eTrex after you have a good map and compass.
Hat, blanket, dry socks, winter gear ( even in July )
Shovel, to dig yourself out when stuck.
Spare tire, Tire plug kit with small but effective 12v compressor.
Hi lift jack and chains to use as a manual winch, and a dirt anchor.
Many flashlights and many batteries.
100’ climbing ropes, the “real” kind.
A compact but capable tool kit.
Extra U-joints and a hand press.
Pipe strap, duct tape, butane lighters, dry matches, vice grips, nuts and bolts, zip ties, fluids, rags, hatchet/mallet, leatherman tool, binoculars.
Digital camera, so you can post cool pics on the forum.
Tarp with bungie cords.
Jumper cables and a fire extinguisher.
Bug spray
CB Radio. ( understand that a CB will only reach 5 miles line of sight )
Token first aid kit. Kids feel better when Band-Aids are put on their boo-boo’s.Extra credit items. Mucking boots, metal detector, gold pan, fishing pole,
electric winch, snatch blocks, D-rings, tent, folding chairs, Topo/Nav computer,
good friends and a cooler full of beer or soda.

If you don’t carry all of the above, tag along with someone who does.:D

Welcome to our family!!

bad bob
07-19-2007, 02:25 PM
OMG XLNT list Dan! But this is more for 4 WD'ers. If ya don't have 4wd, there are still plenty 'O ghost towns you can visit, without all the 4wd gear. Pare Dan's list down about 2/3, and select the necessary items from it.

I have 2wd, Rand McNally Atlas instead of GPS, and been gt'ing for about 30 years. Ya know, the "dinosaur" age.

old judge
07-19-2007, 06:54 PM
Like BB, there are lots of GTs I'll never get to, because of 2wd and, now, because of age considerations. I'm fairly comfortable if I'm satisfied I've done all I can to avoid being stranded. When going into a remote area, that is, one with very little expected traffic, and no way of contacting the outside world, I call a couple of folks, make sure they understand when and where I'll be, and when I expect to be back in touch. I carry plenty of water, food, and meds. My plan is to stay with the vehicle if the hike out is more than a few miles. Other than that, gun, cameras, binoculars, batteries, maps and the normal amount of safety stuff have gotten me by without a problem for many years. And, I don't expect to run out of interesting places to see, even if they're not as remote as some.

High Desert Drifter
07-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Toilet Paper,
sealable bucket (I have a fire dept. issue hazmat bucket)
light sticks
firearm
extra storage cards for your camera
thumb drives for transfering pic for safe keeping

the list is endless! Sometimes its easier to check in to a motel in the area and day trip to your sites. this eliminates having to bring a lot of camp equip and clothing on each excursion...

brian10x
07-25-2007, 06:15 PM
If I'm in a hurry or lazy, I just bring a gun and hold up someone that has all that stuff.

LauraA
07-26-2007, 03:29 AM
If I'm in a hurry or lazy, I just bring a gun and hold up someone that has all that stuff.

:D

Brian's ATV

danbo
07-26-2007, 05:55 AM
Wow, how did I forget to list toilet paper?
"Wet Wipes" are the finest piece of trail
equipment ever invented! Never leave home without them.

brian10x
07-28-2007, 06:10 AM

:D

Brian's ATV

Couldn't have done it better,Laura!

BTW, there is a new project in my garage. First the Kublewagon, then little Sammi,now?

In a week or 3, all will be revealed.

BS

LauraA
07-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Couldn't have done it better,Laura!

BTW, there is a new project in my garage. First the Kublewagon, then little Sammi,now?

In a week or 3, all will be revealed.

BS

My curiosity is killing me. Is it something capable of going to the Black Diamond or Blue Bird? :confused:

brian10x
07-28-2007, 07:23 PM
My curiosity is killing me. Is it something capable of going to the Black Diamond or Blue Bird? :confused:

Little Sammi was probably the purest and most single most hard core oriented off-roader I've ever owned.

That said, it was pure **** to drive on the street. It had all the creature comforts of a WWII Army Jeep.

And I HATE to admit being afraid to attack the really bad trails (Black Diamond) alone.

And I got a smoking great deal on something a bit more comfy, yet still very capable.

As soon as I finish repairing several things, lifting it, and installing the requisite big tires I'll post pictures.

Suffice to say, it should do the job just fine, yet be civilized enough to take my Sausage along as head scout.

Goat
07-29-2007, 09:50 AM
KUBELWAGON? That's my plan for my mid-life crisis mobile! God I love those Things!

Which part are you witing for, the Mg34 or Mg42?:D

Goat

brian10x
07-30-2007, 08:53 PM
KUBELWAGON? That's my plan for my mid-life crisis mobile! God I love those Things!

Which part are you witing for, the Mg34 or Mg42?:D

Goat
Actually, while not a TRUE Kubelwagon, it served its purpose. If not lacking proper gearing and 4wd, its would still be in service taking me into battle today.

I prefer the Sturmgewehr MP-44 myself.

BTW, my all time favorite off road vehicle is the Pinzgauer.

GaryB
07-31-2007, 11:24 AM
BTW, my all time favorite off road vehicle is the Pinzgauer.

Got one of those in my 4X club. In fact, I work at the same place as the guy.

He and I are the oddballs of the group. :D

GaryB
07-31-2007, 02:09 PM
http://getclippings.com/image.php?id=459261

Goat
07-31-2007, 02:28 PM
I've never heard of a pinzgauer before, looks interesting.

brian10x
08-02-2007, 04:19 AM
http://getclippings.com/image.php?id=459261

Ah, no comment.

TLMcGee
08-10-2007, 08:24 AM
I'm new to all this but....if someone took everything on that list they would need a tractor trailer:D

Terry

LauraA
08-10-2007, 05:24 PM
I'm new to all this but....if someone took everything on that list they would need a tractor trailer:D
Terry

Hi Terry Welcome! I guess it's all in knowing how to pack. We've got enough supplies in the back of our little Wrangler to keep us from becoming buzzard bait for a long time if we have a problem while out in the boondocks. We put a shelf just under the rear windows covering the entire back of the Jeep, it gives us double storage and provides us a good place to carry the gallons of extra water we might need. Extra Jeep parts, toilet paper and letting someone know where we are going, so our pooch doesn't starve to death if something happens to us....and we're ready to go. Best to be prepared for any eventuality. ;)

High Desert Drifter
08-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Hi Terry Welcome! I guess it's all in knowing how to pack. We've got enough supplies in the back of our little Wrangler to keep us from becoming buzzard bait for a long time if we have a problem while out in the boondocks. We put a shelf just under the rear windows covering the entire back of the Jeep, it gives us double storage and provides us a good place to carry the gallons of extra water we might need. Extra Jeep parts, toilet paper and letting someone know where we are going, so our pooch doesn't starve to death if something happens to us....and we're ready to go. Best to be prepared for any eventuality. ;)

Actually I bring my pooch along so I have something to eat if we get lost!....

Goat
08-11-2007, 07:48 AM
Me too, first the dog, then my wife, then my GOOD dog, then my toes, then....

LauraA
08-11-2007, 09:26 AM

Me too, first the dog, then my wife, then my GOOD dog, then my toes, then....

Ohhhh YOU GUYS!!!

GaryB
08-13-2007, 02:00 PM

Terry

Not necessarily. Every vehicle should have a place for a spare and it's jack, lug wrench, etc. I have quite an extensive first aid kit that is quite small. I can't sew anything back on with it, but I can stop the bleeding. I try to carry multi-tools (6 in 1 screwdrivers, crescent wrenches, etc), to help keep from carrying too much that way.

When I go offroading, I carry a small "Actionpacker" that has the most prone parts to failure (fuel pump, electronic ignition parts) for my vehicle and the necessities like tie wire and fix a flat, etc.

Then a gallon of water and a gallon of pre-mix coolant for the vehicle. Plus a cooler of food, drinks for us.

The smaller the vehicle, the more creative you have to become at packing. I know guys who do extensive rock crawling that carry enough spare parts to rebuild their rig on the trail. But I carry enough stuff to get back to civilization. And in case I don't, have enough supplies to last me till help comes or I can go for it.

It doesn't take one being very far away from asphalt, or even far from town to have a bad experience.

The biggest thing is having someone know when and about where you are supposed to be in case you don't come back when you're supposed to.

bad bob
08-13-2007, 06:07 PM

Yes but Frank, did you make the sensible wine choice? If I'm not mistaken, Brunello di Montalcino, imported from an island near Sicily (Canine di Fifi), goes best with "pooch". :D

speedy
08-14-2007, 12:28 PM
You'r quite right, BB. It's sweet, but not too sweet.....Speedy

mainmanwalkin
08-15-2007, 06:32 AM
This list varies a little from the original one, due to some specifics of Florida and the southeast. I've been on weeklong trips and several day or weekend trips with these items and had very little complaint.

Inside the car

Cooler with water, soda, and snacks like granola bars --usually we can find little diners along the way, but if we know we're going out into the swamps, or even the non-Orlando middle part of the state, we'll pack sandwiches too
Bug Spray
some brand of itch-relief spray
extra digital camera battery and extra mini-DVDs and videocam batteries
firearm, not out in the open
Road Atlas
printouts of research on each town we're looking for
towels in case we're out and get caught in the rain
extra pair of shoes and socks --good to have if going thru low lying grassy areas with hidden puddles, GTing after a rainstorm, or after being caught in a rainstorm
poncho
cellphone
Purell :)
In the trunk

extra jug of water
antifreeze
brake fluid
motor oil
transmission fluid --these all fit in a milkcrate
papertowels
jumper cables
air compressor for flat
floor jack --much better than the standard car jack, no cranking on a little metal handle to lift the car
full size spare
four big pieces of wood --can put under the tires if they get stuck in sugar sand --happened once
I have these trunk items stored there all the timeHere's a piece of advice for maps and road atlases: dont leave them on the car seat or out in the open when you are out of the vehicle looking around. Any local folks seeing them in your car will think you are a tourist, or lost, and may try to mess with you.

Having good sense and a self-preservation instinct goes a long way to helping on ghost town hunts too :D

Mainmanwalkin

azpete
08-15-2007, 09:43 PM
mainmanwalkin,
Your list has some very good items and thoughts.
It reminds me that the needs are somewhat different depending on the geographical areas we are exploring.
Here in AZ, we are very much concerned about our desert environment-- ie, carry LOTS of water -- etc-- Anti 'buzzer' (rattlesnake) devices, etc.
I am constantly reviewing the items I have stored in my Jeep... limited space withstanding.
As Laura can support, Jeeps don't have 'trunks'!
Thanks for posting another helpful list....
Pete

Kelly
08-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Here is a good check list.:D

http://www.traveltrailercenter.com/check_lists.html

Ghostdancer
08-24-2007, 05:29 AM
Generally not a neccessity, but a USGS topo for the area is good to have to see what all is in the area.

bad bob
09-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Generally not a neccessity, but a USGS topo for the area is good to have to see what all is in the area.

(I know this post is dusty, but if you'll notice some of the other categories, I'm doin' a little restoration posting here). :p

Topos may be a bit difficult to read for non-hikers...tho it may serve one well to learn how to read one, at least a basic knowledge.

On another note, from personal experience while travelling across 1/2 the country, there were many places I missed simply because I didn't do my Rand McNAlly "homework". Now, no matter how far I'm going, I study the map, etc., to catch the sites near the intended route, or take a different route on the return trip to put a certain site or two within reach. :)

danbo
09-13-2007, 06:28 AM
Topos may be a bit difficult to read for non-hikers...tho it may serve one well to learn how to read one, at least a basic knowledge.

On another note, from personal experience while travelling across 1/2 the country, there were many places I missed simply because I didn't do my Rand McNAlly "homework". Now, no matter how far I'm going, I study the map, etc., to catch the sites near the intended route, or take a different route on the return trip to put a certain site or two within reach. :)

TRUTH!!
I've always blown through the town of Clayton when I'm in Custer Co. Idaho.
I saw the pics Cat and Ripley posted earlier and was stunned by the amazing mine/mill ruin
that was just a couple miles off the highway. I always saw the little topo mine symbol and
assumed it was just another ten foot deep hole in the hill. I explored this place last weekend
and it is amazing! I've passed right by many times oblivious to it.
When I see those mine symbols on the topo, I check'em all out now!

Thanks "Cat and ripley" for the pics!
http://www.ripleysghosttowns.com/salmonmine.html

Gravelrash
09-13-2007, 04:47 PM
OK, more antipodean iggerance.
What's "Purell"? Make smell good device?
(Hey, don't laugh. It took me years to figure out what a Pez dispenser was!!!)
Following on from my first ever post here, more for my growing rattlesnake fascination. What are these?
"Anti buzzer' (rattlesnake) devices". Available at 7/11, with a slurpee?

danbo - thanks for this link
http://www.ripleysghosttowns.com/salmonmine.html
more hours of fun.

bad bob
09-13-2007, 07:47 PM
You mean this Pete?
http://www.pfizerch.com/product.aspx?id=488

Gravelrash
09-14-2007, 02:53 AM
Ah! So, you drink it, right?

GaryB
09-14-2007, 06:50 AM

Only if you have really bad breath.

It's also highly advisable you don't smoke when using this stuff, as it's mostly alcohol based and will ignite. Have seen many pictures of people who lit up or got close to an ignition source and badly burned their hands as the stuff soaks in, and the burning follows it deep into the tissue.

But it seems to work great, we use it a lot at work, and I carry travel size ones with me when out and about.

bad bob
09-14-2007, 02:57 PM

Yes, is great substitute for 151 Rum and coke! :eek:

Gravelrash
09-14-2007, 09:00 PM
That's how I'd pegged it, Bob - wash in it, drink it, just don't go near open flame!!

Hootch is the same, world over, and has the same sort of connotations too.
When I lived in Nth East Thailand (I-sarn), I discovered they had their own version of "tax free" rocket fuel, called "Lao Khao", which they buy in little plastic bags with ice and a straw!!
Translation?
Lao khao ~ "White Lightning". Universal language of mutually assured destruction!

Momma told me not to come!

Gravelrash
09-14-2007, 11:49 PM
Here’s my short list, think survival!

A plan and folks back home who know where you went.
Capable vehicle. I prefer a Rubicon. Any purpose built 4x4 will do well. Factory “Cute-Ute’s” are not capable, sorry L ( lockers = less winching )
Full tank of gas, GI cans are good insurance. Mount them high and outside the vehicle to guard against fumes and rear end collisions.
Larger caliber revolver with extra ammo. I prefer a 686.
Extra canned food and water. Tape a p-38 to the lid of your canned stew.
A good map and a good compass. An eTrex after you have a good map and compass.
Hat, blanket, dry socks, winter gear ( even in July )
Shovel, to dig yourself out when stuck.
Spare tire, Tire plug kit with small but effective 12v compressor.
Hi lift jack and chains to use as a manual winch, and a dirt anchor.
Many flashlights and many batteries.
100’ climbing ropes, the “real” kind.
A compact but capable tool kit.
Extra U-joints and a hand press.
Pipe strap, duct tape, butane lighters, dry matches, vice grips, nuts and bolts, zip ties, fluids, rags, hatchet/mallet, leatherman tool, binoculars.
Digital camera, so you can post cool pics on the forum.
Tarp with bungie cords.
Jumper cables and a fire extinguisher.
Bug spray
CB Radio. ( understand that a CB will only reach 5 miles line of sight )
Token first aid kit. Kids feel better when Band-Aids are put on their boo-boo’s.Extra credit items. Mucking boots, metal detector, gold pan, fishing pole,
electric winch, snatch blocks, D-rings, tent, folding chairs, Topo/Nav computer,
good friends and a cooler full of beer or soda.

If you don’t carry all of the above, tag along with someone who does.:D

Welcome to our family!!

Jaffle iron
Vegemite
Billy

brian10x
09-17-2007, 04:33 AM
Jaffle iron
Vegemite
BillyOk, I give up. What is a jaffle and why would I want to iron one?

Isn't Vegemite some kind of vegetable paste you guys spread on bread and eat? No thanks, I take peanut butter.

Unless Billy is paying for gas, he stays home.

GaryB
09-17-2007, 08:26 AM
What if, Billy is the one in your pic?

GaryB
09-17-2007, 08:37 AM
Jaffle iron.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich_toaster

I have two of these. Forget what they were called though (here). Mine require a camp fire though. Not too many plugs in trees in Nevada.

Gravelrash
09-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Jaffle iron
Vegemite
BillyOk, I give up. What is a jaffle and why would I want to iron one?

Isn't Vegemite some kind of vegetable paste you guys spread on bread and eat? No thanks, I take peanut butter.

Unless Billy is paying for gas, he stays home.

Glad you asked!!!
The "jaffle iron" is an indispendible item on any camping trip!
It's 2 pieces of hinged iron, both of which have handles about a foot long, which enable you to close the whole thing like a trap. The pieces of metal are scalloped out like a bowl, and you put bread, well buttered on one side, and stuffed full of "makings" on each 'plate', close it up and put it in the fire. Best toasted sandwiches ever!
The great, timeless jaffle competition is always to see who can get the most exotic concoctions inside a jaffle.
Nothing like a few after a day in the bush! Followed by a few cold beers!
http://www.kookaburragas.com.au/foodware_jaffleirons.htm
And some "recipes" -(but I think these are a bit boring!!)
http://www.mitsu4wdclubqld.org/tips/kampkitch/tips-cook-jaffle.htm

Vegemite has been known to divide nations!! I devour this stuff in huge amounts, in any given year, but it's best thin spread. It's an acquired taste, so I'm told, but I don't understand how anyone can NOT like it!:) Mothers milk!
My buddy Ray, in Arizona, says I'm welcome any time, as long as I leave the Vegemite at home!
He was a Navy diver, and served with Aussie divers in Iraq, where I guess they tried a bit of cultural education. In Ray's case , it didin't take!

The "Billy can" is also indispensible - for boiling water to make tea! I don't start up in the mornings without tea!
3 billies can give you a good but quick shower, experience tells me! You know you need a bush shower when the dog won't sleep with you.

salamander
10-02-2007, 07:21 PM
currently in my toyota i have

10 extra gallons of fuel 6 gallons of water. A verry extensive tool kit. I do a lot of 4wheeling as well as hunting and ghost towning. so you will also find a cb highlift jack warn xd9000i winch up front a ramsey rep8000 out back 37 good year mtrs dual lockers and dual t-cases . in the back window you will find rugar 10/22 and various outher guns or bowtech bows

these things are allways with me then there is the action packers with food cloths dog food becous you got to bring the dog.

and the extra weekend parts as in spair front and rear drivelins and berfields water pup fuel pump and outher misc parts

oh and dont for get the best friend with a matching toyota p/u

Walkingsticks
10-28-2007, 09:04 PM
Danbo, you are kidding I am sure. I have been going to ghost towns for about 65 years and in the past fifteen years I have never taken that many things along, unless I planned to move to the ghost town.

We go by a 1987 Toyota SR22 four banger Stout pickup and always carry a shovel and emergency gear in back.
We carry maps, but no compass.

If the road gets too bad, we back pack water, then we each take along one or two Yucca walking sticks for balance through rough and steep trails. In snake season we wear Snake-Gards (tm) and hiking shoes. A cap or hat against the elements. Flashlights in case we want to explore inside of a mine (I was once a hard rocker miner, so know when it is safe to go into a mine), matches, a knife, camera and bug spray. But never go alone in case something happens. Sometimes we bring a pistol, sometimes not. But if in mountain lion country or javalina we always do. You have to watch for those two and for badgers as those three are really dangerious. We have seen mountain lions, javalinas, black bears, rattle snakes, wolves, coyotes, eagles, hawks, skunks, elk, deer and antelope while on our way to ghost towns and only one badger. I often carry a rope, but we have never had to use it so far.

Just be very careful around open pits because the ground could give way at any time within six to eight feet and you could plunge to your death hundreds of feet below. And never trust walking across boards over a mine shaft because they could break under you.

When entering an old mine look for cracks overhead and never cross blanks over a hole. If it looks unsafe inside, it probably is.

If entering a building watch for snakes, wasps and bees.

When opening a door push it slowly inward and throw a rock inside first in case there is a wild animal inside or snake.

Have fun and be careful.

Gravelrash
10-28-2007, 09:29 PM
We have seen mountain lions, javalinas, black bears, rattle snakes, wolves, coyotes, eagles, hawks, skunks, elk, deer and antelope while on our way to ghost towns and only one badger.

Ah, yes....of course, Skunks. Never got around to asking.
Now, these have to be a bit of a joke, right? Surely no animal can generate that much hype without a bit of a comic edge. I mean.... how bad can it be. Think - Pepe LePew.

So..... how wide of the mark am I. Is this another American beastie to look forward to?
:D :eek:

(....scurries off to google "javalina". Javalina....what the h-ell is a javalina? I'm not gonna ask!)

LauraA
10-29-2007, 05:34 AM
Here's a couple of Javelina, taken in a wash behind our house just after last years' first snow. They're a real nuisance here because they eat the decorative cacti around our house.

.....and don't forget the White-nosed Coatimundi, a strange looking critter with bright yellow eyes. I didn't have a clue what it was until someone told me.

speedy
10-29-2007, 05:43 AM
Great pics, Laura. Some of us can only dream of being able to live in a place like that....Speedy

LauraA
10-29-2007, 05:51 AM
Thanks Speedy! As a Yankee transplant, I can state as a fact, it sure beats living Nu Yawk City. :D

danbo
10-29-2007, 10:35 AM
Danbo, you are kidding I am sure. I have been going to ghost towns for about 65 years and in the past fifteen years I have never taken that many things along, unless I planned to move to the ghost town.

Maybe it’s just me. That’s the equipment I need to get back home.
I had to learn the hard way, all over again. Three weeks ago some friends
and I were jeeping on the Oregon coast. After a week of fun, my
buddies headed back to Idaho. I stayed on, as I still had time to play.

I decided to watch the fleeting sunset through the storm cells from
the beach dunes south of Florence. 1st stupid decision was going alone.
The “sunset” was dramatic and about 30 seconds long. Now its time
to head back for diner at Moe’s. After a few attempts at climbing the
dunes from the beach, back to the state park, I realize I cant make it out.
No problem, I’ll just air down my tires and crawl out. It’s now dark
and pouring rain. As I’m backing down the dune, in the dark, at a high
rate of speed, I ran up on a “surf log” on the beach and got high centered.
Ya I know, real dumb! And I know, I’m the first guy that ever did
anything stupid. 3rd stupid decision was leaving my “hi-lift” back at
the RV in an attempt to reduce weight. It would have worked really slick!
But hey, “I’ve got a winch so I didn’t need it” right?

The beach is empty. It’s Sunday night. The tide is on its way back in.
I’m alone with the wife, who to her credit did not say one nasty thing.
The wife climbs to the top of the dunes to see if there’s any help on the
other side. She finds help but they refuse. In their own words “that’s what
you get for being on the beach”. Thanks! To add insult, I had pulled
folks out two different occasions earlier in the week. What “went around”
was not “coming back around”.

My dirt anchors could not get any get any “tooth” in the sand and
winching was not working. Duh, no surprise there! I ended up using my
shovel to dig a 2x2x8 foot hole in the damp beach sand. I wrapped a
tie down strap around a 2nd surf log and buried it in the hole. I attached
the winch to the tie down and pulled the jeep to the “hard pack”. I aired
down my tires and climbed out and headed back to Florence. The wife
asked “aren’t you going to get your tie down? In the words of “Jack Handy”
from SNL. “If your keys fall into molten lava---let’em go baby—there gone”!

We arrived at Moe’s soaked and tired. My fish, chips and beer never tasted so
good. We went back the next day in the warm sun shine. Someone had dug
up the beach log and taken the tie down. I thought “man that guy worked
hard for a $10 tie down strap. Maybe he was stuck somewhere down the beach too.

I take ten things to get me back home because often, the first nine things
won’t work. I have another Jeep buddy who takes very little and never has
a problem. It drives me nuts! To each his own. Nuthin but love!

GaryB
10-29-2007, 12:16 PM
If you go with a group of friends, it's easy to leave things behind. But it's usually me and the wife out in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes just myself. I know you're not supposed to go at it alone, but it's getting harder to find someone to tag along. And I'll be ****** if I let others boredom ruin my exploring.

We once were on a club run and someone slid their new Grand Cherokee off the trail into a collapsed horizontal shaft. Thankfully, the Cherokee was long enough it caught front and back, where as a Wrangler or even my Scout would have been a goner. It took 4 Jeeps, two winches, numerous straps, a hi-lift, a bottle jack, and a couple of shovels to retrieve it from the hole without it toppling. We had to tie two Jeeps together on each side to keep the Cherokee from sucking the winched Jeeps into the hole with it. Fun fun fun. Luckily we were all equipped with our usual gear.

http://thumb15.webshots.net/t/38/38/9/90/44/2562990440094197955uzwMYm_th.jpg (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2562990440094197955uzwMYm)

Gravelrash
10-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Fun, fun, fun alright! That's a good photo Gary. I'll bet the driver hates seeing it brought out at every club meeting! Doh!

LauraA
10-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Yikes Gary,that was a Jeep owner's nightmare. He's lucky people were well equipped enough to get him out of that predicament.

No Jeep owner should leave home without this bumper sticker.;) :D

GaryB
10-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Actually, it was a woman. I'll leave the female driving jokes alone :D

brian2372
03-30-2008, 05:45 PM
i know this is a old thread but anyway we always bring the dirt bikes with .i figure that if it gets to a point where i cant get unstuck or fix my truck i can ride out for help.and when iam doing hardcore exploring i can get to places nothing else can.Its funny but when i bring the kids with i bring a lot more extra survival stuff but when its just me and the wife its just extra water ,gas ,and some cans of chili.i ve goten to the point where we set up a base camp and use the bikes to do the hardcore exploring,we used to use the rockcrawler and then quads but the bikes were the easiest way to cover the most ground and get to the most hard to reach places.all our freinds would give us static about it but when they saw where we got to compared to them they gave in.

brian10x
03-30-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm with ya on the chili.
If you find yourself stuck for a day or two and run out of ammo, its still possible to scare the critters away.

danbo
05-10-2008, 10:19 AM
I had to take my Jeep to the dealership yesterday. I took out all of my trail gear
to ensure that nothing was stolen. I got to thinking about this thread and decided to post a pic.
Everything you see came out of my TJ. Loading it back in is a lot like playing "Tetris". :D

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/Danbo_03/Jeepgear1web.jpg

I have to admit that on several occasions I have helped buddies "the hard way" just
because it was such a PITA to dig out the "right tool".:o

brian10x
05-10-2008, 11:08 AM
I had to take my Jeep to the dealership yesterday. I took out all of my trail gear
to ensure that nothing was stolen. I got to thinking about this thread and decided to post a pic.
Everything you see came out of my TJ. Loading it back in is a lot like playing "Tetris". :D

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n52/Danbo_03/Jeepgear1web.jpg

I have to admit that on several occasions I have helped buddies "the hard way" just
because it was such a PITA to dig out the "right tool".:o

WOW! I counted 2 gas cans and 4 flashlights. You really are the man when it comes to being prepared. One item I recently invested in is a heavy duty battery jump box. I figure I can run the truck off of it if needed.

I need to run to the Home Depot today and have to do the same with the Bronco.

Did I count 2 sets of jumper cables?

danbo
05-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Nah, just one set of jumper cables.
We have several really cool lava tube caves in our area as well as the mines we explore. I've discovered that if everyone in my family has a light, I don't have to "wet nurse" them over and threw the obsticles. So, lights for everyone.:D