PDA

View Full Version : Fourr's fort a bust!

brian10x
09-07-2007, 06:05 PM
:( Sorry to say another failed attempt today. Too bad, from the description, there are still some things to see.

I figured if I found Dragoon springs, I would use that as a starting point. Well, I found the right dirt trail and found the Dragoon Springs Butterfield stage stop.

Pic # 3451. Funny, for a stone reinforced structure, there seem to be no remnants around at ALL. All I found were stones lined up in a straight line here and there.
Followed the trail to its end and had lunch.

Pic #3454. When my grandparents used to tour the country (pre-fast food days) they would heat up lunch on the exhaust manifold. Well, my intake was plenty hot enough to warm up a sandwich of roast beef and cheese. Yummy!

From the main drag in Dragoon, using notes and my GPS, I tried in vain to find Fourr's Fort. I encountered lots of these. (Pic 3449) Somehow I found my way around, but I couldn't find a trail going to where (I think?) I needed to go.

Oh, well. Didn't get stuck or shot at, enjoyed beautiful scenery in clean mountain air, and maybe learned a thing or two.

Too bad I decided to leave my co-pilot Sausage and navigator Daisy (pic 3445) home this time. They would have loved it.
I included the picture for those of you confused over my frequent statement "I like to play with my Sausage in the desert".

I'm always open to ideas if any of you are in the Tucson area!

Brian

Joel
06-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Thought I'd dredge up an old post. Nell Murbarger has Fourr's Fort as being on private property. I'm beginning to wonder if it's on a State Land Trust. You wanna PM me Brian?

Sunrise
06-17-2009, 08:17 PM
I strongly suspect Billy Fourr's place is located within the Dragoon Ranch gated community. My best guess is that it was located just inside the west stronghold, along the northern side of the stronghold. He salvaged some lumber from the White House ruins, near the treaty site. Best to get there via Middlemarch rd. rather than the Dragoon springs route.

Joel
06-18-2009, 04:33 AM
I found what I suspected to be it in Fourr Canyon. http://forums.ghosttowns.com/showthread.php?t=16239&referrerid=5240

Sunrise
06-18-2009, 05:14 AM
WOW! Great find. Though not much remains of the cabin, it's nice to know it has been located. Good work amigo!

Joel
06-18-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm thinking that there is more on the west that even the 4WD folks can't get to.

I gotta win the lottery, I gotta buy tickets!:)