PDA

View Full Version : Swansea

JeepinAZ
09-10-2007, 07:57 AM
anyone heard of swansea ghost town in AZ they say its by parker?? and have been to it...worth going too?

bad bob
09-10-2007, 08:42 AM
anyone heard of swansea ghost town and have been to it...worth going too?

There is a Swansea, CA (Inyo County) near Keeler, and SW of Cerro Gordo. It is posted on the CA site w/pics. The submitter says there are a few crumbling walls left, but since that was some time ago, there may be nothing left now.

Perhaps Cecile, who IIRC lives in, or at least visits Cerro Gordo often, may be able to describe the remains of Swansea. I'd have to guess it's only a site now.
:(

JeepinAZ
09-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Sorry I left out the state...opps.:p

Johnnie
09-10-2007, 10:44 AM
anyone heard of swansea ghost town in AZ they say its by parker?? and have been to it...worth going too?

Yes! there is a Swansea Arizona town site. We were there in 1970 and the site was just off the paved road just out of Parker, and we made the the trip to the site on a good dirt road back then, but when we got to what we think was the site there was nothing there but a few foundations, but we didnt care because it was just a side trip from a water skiing and fishing trips we all made to the Colorado River.:cool:

Your fellow ghosttowners
Johnnie & Sheila

LauraA
09-11-2007, 05:23 AM
There are some good pictures of Swansea here; Swansea, Arizona (http://www.ghosttowngallery.com/htme/swansea.htm)

40FORDJIM
09-11-2007, 08:47 AM
The pictures that Laura gave the website for show Swansea exactly the way it was 2 years ago. We enjoyed our visit there.

azpete
09-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Hi Folks,,
I visited Swansea twice last year-- Apr 06 and again in May 06. I entered the area from the south-- from Boise - not from the Parker direction. Just before ya turn onto the Swansea road in Boise, there is a display of tanks and other military stuff from when the area was used for Pattons desert training during WWII. Kinda interesting. It's on the north side of the road on mainstreet.
The Boise road is flat, graded and wide but very "washboardy" from Boise to Midway. The road gets better from Midway on. As you come through the pass, you look down onto Swansea, very pretty. Lots of ruins. Just as you approach the area, there is a natural rock arch on the right. There is also a pit toilet and BLM selfguided tour pamplets. Many ruins are marked and numbered to match the guide pamplet and you can drive all over the place. The dangerous areas have been fenced off.
Not sure what going on lately.... the BLM website for Swansea is not working. Last year, you could download maps and guidebooks-- alots of pictures.
Its a great trip, although the south road in can be a bit rough. (Helps if ya drive about 40mph and 'glide' over the washboard) All depends on how ya want to treat yer ride.
I believe the road in from Parker is smoother but have not come in that way myself.
I also heard that there were volunteers from the Parker area who were helping to maintain the ruins. Last year, they were putting new roofs on the miners quarters --- probably the best preserved buildings there.
I know the BLM reported lots of vandalism around 2003.
Anyway.... hope this helps.
Its a fun place to visit.
Oh... there is also a side trip from the ruins to the pump station down on the river. I haven't made that trip.
Feel free to contact me if ya like more details... I have lots of photo, maps, guides, etc...
Pete

azpete
09-12-2007, 09:41 AM
OH... BTW..
Here's an interesting link detailing Swansea history, etc...

http://www.wickenburg-az.com/?p=641

Pete

Ghostdancer
09-28-2007, 05:24 AM
Visited Swansea back in 1989 and at that time there was enough remaining to make a visit worthwhile. From seeing the pics posted here it looks like it still is. If the mining managers home shown here is the same as the building I have a photo of and posted on the Swansea page it has deteriorated much since.

Tom

Ghosttowns.com
09-28-2007, 07:24 AM
Tom is referring to this link

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/az/swansea.html

we have quite a few pics on this website as well

Johnnie
09-29-2007, 09:12 AM
There are some good pictures of Swansea here; Swansea, Arizona (http://www.ghosttowngallery.com/htme/swansea.htm)

You are always there for us Laura, and have the web site, that show's all of us just what we all are seeking. Thanks for sharing.;)

Your ghost town pals
Johnnie & Sheila