PDA

View Full Version : Plea repeat

bad bob
09-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Just wanted to take time to renew the request for some of ye quiet members to dust that keyboard off, and plunk out a few msgs here on the'ol board.

Yes I know you have lives, but, if you check in occasionally, you'll notice the times and dates of the latest posts for the various categories. This one even had 8-2-2007, instead of the day or week. None of these categories should be allowed to depreciate that far IMO.

So please do not be bashful, we're all.....well.... most here are the friendliest peeps on the planet. And just think, you'll be doin' yer part to help pick up the slow times that often seem to coincide with the WEEKENDS!

NWNative
09-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Well, we'll be gone this weekend so I can't help y'all. I'm taking the kids to see an active volcano. The boy is at the age where things that blow up are COOL!! So, we're going to Mt St Helens to see the ash and walk the caves and such. Not really GT related put pretty interesting anyhow!

bad bob
09-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Well, we'll be gone this weekend so I can't help y'all. I'm taking the kids to see an active volcano. The boy is at the age where things that blow up are COOL!! So, we're going to Mt St Helens to see the ash and walk the caves and such. Not really GT related put pretty interesting anyhow!

Well NW, yer not exactly who I had in mind with my request, tho it's always great to hear from ye. No, I was really referring to the non-posters. (They know who I mean). :)

But hey be careful up thar..
we can't be having ya turn into one of Mt SH additional statistics. :p

Darin
09-18-2007, 05:58 PM
Not a lot to pluck about since most of the posts are about Az. and we don't get out that way to hunt...but wavin a hardy hand out there to all and hoping y'all are having fun. NW-hope Mt. S.H. was a blast fer ya. Wife and I were there for our honeymoon (6-1-98) and we go back just to see the changes every year or so.

bad bob
09-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Not a lot to pluck about since most of the posts are about Az. and we don't get out that way to hunt...but wavin a hardy hand out there to all and hoping y'all are having fun. NW-hope Mt. S.H. was a blast fer ya. Wife and I were there for our honeymoon (6-1-98) and we go back just to see the changes every year or so.

Darin...thank you for that. But I guess I'm not wording my plea correctly. I'd love to hear from the ususal non-posting members on ANY subject. And as I've said before, even if it's to tell me to go "pound sand". :)

Why, you ask? Because there are a gazillion members listed in the directory, but only a couple dozen actual posters.
for me, it'd be nice to know if a member signed up, and is either a spambot, moved to a country without electricity, has no real interest in this forum, or has....well...has ...expired. :o

Darin
09-18-2007, 07:52 PM
You're right bb...there are a lot of people listed and just a select few that are jotting something down. Was there a major burnout here or is everyone just out on an extended ghost-town hunting excursion?:D

bad bob
09-18-2007, 08:57 PM
You're right bb...there are a lot of people listed and just a select few that are jotting something down. Was there a major burnout here or is everyone just out on an extended ghost-town hunting excursion?:D

Not sure Darin, I think some are bots, but I believe GaryB and /or CG are weeding them. The others are the reason for the plea.

brian10x
09-19-2007, 04:25 AM
[quote=bad bob;28442]Darin...thank you for that. But I guess I'm not wording my plea correctly. I'd love to hear from the ususal non-posting members on ANY subject. And as I've said before, even if it's to tell me to go "pound sand". :)

Hey Bob,
Pound sand.

(I mean that in a NICE way)

GaryB
09-19-2007, 07:25 AM
I find if you water the sand down first, it's easier to pound.

From what I can see, it's like this:

Every time a person registers, they're given "member status", but cannot post till they confirm their email address. Most (likely almost all) spam bots are set using legit emails, so they can register, verify, and post within seconds. Many of the human spammers or sub-par bots use false emails, so they can never confirm their address, and can never post. This likely explains around 30% of new members.

A large number of new folks, I believe are registering just to read/see the forums. Many forums require you to register or log in to read/see all of the topics. I don't believe we do, what you see is what you get. But since we have a large number of folks registering, hanging out for 10-15 minutes and never coming back, I'd put my money on them thinking they have to register to view. This likely covers another 50-60%.

I'd also guess that from reading their bios, location, birth date, and user name that many are just spook chasers looking for directions to those places in southern Kali. They get what they want and don't come back.

Then there is a small number that either forget they registered, or don't get the confirmation email as it might go to their "junk file" if they have spam blockers. Luckily I can and have done two things. I follow up on "unconfirmed" members and give them a few months to follow up. If no one comes back to bother, I dump their registration. Really just to clean house, but it helps find spammers too. If I see they have come back, but still haven't registered, I resend their confirmation email. Seems many get that one and finalize their registration.

That brings us to the actual registered members who can post. We have hundreds of one time posters. About 95% registered to post something for sell in the classifieds, or respond to an ad and that was it. Many never came back. And we have the occasional folks that ask a question and bail. But they are a really small number.

Then we have some that appear to be from college courses researching school work, teachers, etc. given their email address's. Many register, come here occasionally, yet never post.

Long and boring, I know. Sad part is I spent the time checking every "old" member till I got caught up looking for spammers. It was worth it to me though, and apparently to many of you. Plus I found out everyone's dirty secrets http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/ruinkai/GRIM2A.gif

Bob
09-19-2007, 11:51 AM
I have lot's of unresolved questions I'm trying to find information on. I post what I know if I thought there was any hope of getting a good discussion going.

I have three (or four)unlocated ghost towns in Lincoln Country (Gary's backyard) that I know a lot about but can't seem to find. There must be a fifty ghosts I can't pinpoint in Nevada. I'm sure others have the similar missing questions? Maybe we could have an on going thread or something?

I'll start it off here: I still can't find Castle, Karo, Homer, or Springer Hill (Maybe Castle).

I am missing several communities that could be either Lincoln or Clark Country like Ice.

Anyone want to have a discussion?

Goat
09-19-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm interested Bob. Maybe a little info for a starting point, and we can run it through the forum and see what we can come up with.

bad bob
09-19-2007, 03:59 PM
[quote=bad bob;28442]Darin...thank you for that. But I guess I'm not wording my plea correctly. I'd love to hear from the ususal non-posting members on ANY subject. And as I've said before, even if it's to tell me to go "pound sand". :)

Hey Bob,
Pound sand.

(I mean that in a NICE way)

I'll be getting up early tomorrow AM, and heading over to our local "Beach Park" after breakfast at a nearby Denny's. As per request from Brian, and recommendations from Gary, I'll be pounding sand for 1 hour and 37 minutes. There's no water in the river right now, so I'll have to schlepp it in 5 gallon buckets, if it's ok with you guys? It's either that or, well..
..someone will have to.... eliminate (No1 only please), to moisten the aforementioned sand. Probably several somebodies to get the necessary consistancy. :o

bad bob
09-19-2007, 04:03 PM
I find if you water the sand down first, it's easier to pound.

From what I can see, it's like this:

Every time a person registers, they're given "member status", but cannot post till they confirm their email address. Most (likely almost all) spam bots are set using legit emails, so they can register, verify, and post within seconds. Many of the human spammers or sub-par bots use false emails, so they can never confirm their address, and can never post. This likely explains around 30% of new members.

A large number of new folks, I believe are registering just to read/see the forums. Many forums require you to register or log in to read/see all of the topics. I don't believe we do, what you see is what you get. But since we have a large number of folks registering, hanging out for 10-15 minutes and never coming back, I'd put my money on them thinking they have to register to view. This likely covers another 50-60%.

I'd also guess that from reading their bios, location, birth date, and user name that many are just spook chasers looking for directions to those places in southern Kali. They get what they want and don't come back.

Then there is a small number that either forget they registered, or don't get the confirmation email as it might go to their "junk file" if they have spam blockers. Luckily I can and have done two things. I follow up on "unconfirmed" members and give them a few months to follow up. If no one comes back to bother, I dump their registration. Really just to clean house, but it helps find spammers too. If I see they have come back, but still haven't registered, I resend their confirmation email. Seems many get that one and finalize their registration.

That brings us to the actual registered members who can post. We have hundreds of one time posters. About 95% registered to post something for sell in the classifieds, or respond to an ad and that was it. Many never came back. And we have the occasional folks that ask a question and bail. But they are a really small number.

Then we have some that appear to be from college courses researching school work, teachers, etc. given their email address's. Many register, come here occasionally, yet never post.

Long and boring, I know. Sad part is I spent the time checking every "old" member till I got caught up looking for spammers. It was worth it to me though, and apparently to many of you. Plus I found out everyone's dirty secrets http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/ruinkai/GRIM2A.gif

Wasn't boring to me, but I had no idea there were so many "fooshinator's options". :confused:

bad bob
09-19-2007, 05:39 PM
I have lot's of unresolved questions I'm trying to find information on. I post what I know if I thought there was any hope of getting a good discussion going.

I have three (or four)unlocated ghost towns in Lincoln Country (Gary's backyard) that I know a lot about but can't seem to find. There must be a fifty ghosts I can't pinpoint in Nevada. I'm sure others have the similar missing questions? Maybe we could have an on going thread or something?

I'll start it off here: I still can't find Castle, Karo, Homer, or Springer Hill (Maybe Castle).

I am missing several communities that could be either Lincoln or Clark Country like Ice.

Hiya YAB. Always good to hear from ya. And I appreciate yer response to the plea. Like Goat suggests, I think it'd be a great project to run thru the forum, and try to get some/all of yer unresolved questions answered.

But I'd like to refer ya to GaryB's msg about the probable status regarding members that register, but never post. I was just wondering if I/we might be able to coax them into pluckin' on the 'ol keyboard, and possibly hearing what some of them had to say about gt'ing, Turnbull Cyn, life in general, or me pounding sand.
:)

bad bob
09-24-2007, 07:16 PM
After pounding sand for 1 hour and 36 minutes, I got up, stood back, and realized I beat the sand into a castle 48' high and 50' wide.
If it hadn't smelled like #1, I probably would'a picked up the blue ribbon. But the judge said he just couldn't bring himself to pin #1 on #1. :o

Gravelrash
09-24-2007, 08:28 PM
Bob - did you get building approval for that?

bad bob
09-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Bob - did you get building approval for that?

Nah, the guy issuing the permits was an old hippie type wanting to give me a ration of bs. So I shot him with me "ice gun", and then just sanded over him. He guards the castle permanently now. That's him out front, holding his thermos bottle, but please just keep it under yer hat fer now. :)

Gravelrash
09-25-2007, 04:50 AM
Oh, that's a THERMOS he's gripping!!

brian10x
09-25-2007, 05:00 AM

I asked about finding Fourr's Fort and posted my trip, but I got very little action.

Except for Laura and yourself, I got very little discussion on finding the Black Diamond, the Tres Amigos, or the Old Glory mines.

I think most members prefer to be spectators.

GaryB
09-25-2007, 10:21 AM
http://smilies.vidahost.com/cwm/3dlil/lurk.gif

ghost_town_huntress
09-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Because there are a gazillion members listed in the directory, but only a couple dozen actual posters.

If I remember correctly, most of those gazillion members that are listed in the directory are either spammers or those people that are looking for ghosts or haunted places and don't really want anything to do with ghost towns.

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

Darin...thank you for that. But I guess I'm not wording my plea correctly. I'd love to hear from the ususal non-posting members on ANY subject. And as I've said before, even if it's to tell me to go "pound sand". :)

Why, you ask? Because there are a gazillion members listed in the directory, but only a couple dozen actual posters.
for me, it'd be nice to know if a member signed up, and is either a spambot, moved to a country without electricity, has no real interest in this forum, or has....well...has ...expired. :o

bad bob
09-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Because there are a gazillion members listed in the directory, but only a couple dozen actual posters.

If I remember correctly, most of those gazillion members that are listed in the directory are either spammers or those people that are looking for ghosts or haunted places and don't really want anything to do with ghost towns.

That's true enough Rachel, and I refer ya to the list GaryB produced earlier in this thread.
It's the gt lurker's I'm interested in. Thanks fer your msg. :)

Gravelrash
09-26-2007, 05:24 AM
Heck, it's not like there's nothing interesting in America's past!
You know, there's an AWFUL LOT of "new Americans" who would like nothing better then to erase any trace of you in your country. Pardon me, trotting out my soap box, but I'd refer you to some comments made by your "grateful" muslim immigrants over the last few years. Seems they have no use for the efforts of you or your ancestors and if YOU don't value it enough to at least hold it in the forefront of your mind and defend it, well, I'm sure they will pass a law soon enough to outlaw the memories.
Just an ignorant kafirs opinion.
Here's another opinion.
"All that's necessary for evil to triumph is for...."
You know the rest.
The America you know and love could become a ghost too.

brian10x
09-27-2007, 04:16 AM
Heck, it's not like there's nothing interesting in America's past!
You know, there's an AWFUL LOT of "new Americans" who would like nothing better then to erase any trace of you in your country. Pardon me, trotting out my soap box, but I'd refer you to some comments made by your "grateful" muslim immigrants over the last few years. Seems they have no use for the efforts of you or your ancestors and if YOU don't value it enough to at least hold it in the forefront of your mind and defend it, well, I'm sure they will pass a law soon enough to outlaw the memories.
Just an ignorant kafirs opinion.
Here's another opinion.
"All that's necessary for evil to triumph is for...."
You know the rest.
The America you know and love could become a ghost too.

Its not just the Muslim immigrants. Here in Tucson, near the border, its almost like living in another country in some places.

Gravelrash
09-27-2007, 04:54 PM
LOL Brian. I had seen that photo before. It sounds like a real zoo down along the border.
I am more than a little interested in the activities of the volounteer border guards down Az/Tx way. I was following a case where 3 guys were facing some heavy jail time, for wanting the law of America to be enforced but there's so much crap going on it's hard to keep up.
Strange days indeed.

I know what you mean about "foreign country" - there's parts of Sydney I am afraid to go into, and so are the police, and some parts of Melbourne are war zones. I know - they don't tell you that on the tourism websites, but I'm here to tell ya!
Lately we've been blessed with Sudanese "refugees" - all so grateful to be here, as their amorous approaches to white women attest. Just what this country needs, blokes who've been child soldiers for 10 years!!!
(I'm not a racist - my wife is Indian/Thai and my family has 11 different ethnicities in it, from Belorussia to China, via Afghanistan. I chose to live in Asia and am only back in Oz because of my accident in 2000. I just believe in national sovereignty and the Anglosphere)
Apart from that - I'm normal!:rolleyes:
(I must learn how to post photos here - I've a few beauties for ya!)

bad bob
09-27-2007, 05:15 PM
Posting photos is easy Pete.
After yer text msg, scroll down to the "Manage Attachments" under ADDITIONAL OPTIONS button. It won't take large sizes, I forget the max, 7.62 or something. If you try uploading and it's too big, you'll get that msg so you'll have to resize down. Once it accepts the size, just hit the X in the upper right.. ya can also preview the whole thing first...just don't forget to go back and click "submit", or you'll have to start all over again. :)

brian10x
09-27-2007, 05:35 PM
LOL Brian. I had seen that photo before. It sounds like a real zoo down along the border.
I am more than a little interested in the activities of the volounteer border guards down Az/Tx way. I was following a case where 3 guys were facing some heavy jail time, for wanting the law of America to be enforced but there's so much crap going on it's hard to keep up.
Strange days indeed.

I know what you mean about "foreign country" - there's parts of Sydney I am afraid to go into, and so are the police, and some parts of Melbourne are war zones. I know - they don't tell you that on the tourism websites, but I'm here to tell ya!
Lately we've been blessed with Sudanese "refugees" - all so grateful to be here, as their amorous approaches to white women attest. Just what this country needs, blokes who've been child soldiers for 10 years!!!
(I'm not a racist - my wife is Indian/Thai and my family has 11 different ethnicities in it, from Belorussia to China, via Afghanistan. I chose to live in Asia and am only back in Oz because of my accident in 2000. I just believe in national sovereignty and the Anglosphere)
Apart from that - I'm normal!:rolleyes:
(I must learn how to post photos here - I've a few beauties for ya!)

I'm not racist either. I was born in Hawaii where the big "melting pot" is alive and well.

That said, back in my day, it didn't matter where you were from, all that mattered is that you were A PROUD AMERICAN. Everyone wanted to be American and speak english.

Some of my native Arizonian friends believe in being well equipped while traveling in the desert-heavily armed, and always have a shovel handy.

These are the ones that don't make headlines. Just going about guarding our border quietly and effectively.

LauraA
09-28-2007, 10:12 AM
..........:D

bad bob
09-28-2007, 10:23 PM

I called the 800 number and got the following electronic merry-go-round: For mental help, press 1 now. For bi-polar disorder, press 1 now. For dysentary assistance, press 1 now. For dysfunctional family syndrome, press 1 now. For political advice, press 1 now. For all other complaints, call Lornie @
800-555-5555. :p

ghost_town_huntress
09-28-2007, 11:18 PM
I'm not racist either.

Just so y'all know; I'm not either. My brother is from Costa Rica so I can't be racist against Latinos; just Mexicans.

I'm not racist either. I was born in Hawaii where the big "melting pot" is alive and well.

That said, back in my day, it didn't matter where you were from, all that mattered is that you were A PROUD AMERICAN. Everyone wanted to be American and speak english.

Some of my native Arizonian friends believe in being well equipped while traveling in the desert-heavily armed, and always have a shovel handy.

These are the ones that don't make headlines. Just going about guarding our border quietly and effectively.

Gravelrash
09-29-2007, 12:31 AM

I've been trying to dial those numbers for years, Laura. Took me ages to work out they weren't in my area code!!
Have I just been officially spanked? If so, I can't wait to meet in person!:eek:
Seriously, I pwomise ....no more posts about islamo-fascism, the RoP, beheadings, 9/11 or CAIR.
****, I do enough of that on http://islammonitor.org/
****, what a cheap plug!
But, fair dinkum, I promise....no more. I came to this ghost town ring of friends to escape those pricks.
Love ya, Laura. I know once you take my temperature, I'll calm down.

LauraA
09-29-2007, 03:31 AM
Noooo, no offense intended mate..err...fella...guy...friend...carry on... :p
Anyone who can use the phrase "fair dinkum" and get away with it, can't be all bad. Anyway, ol' Bad Bob fully endorses you, that's good enough for me.
As for taking your temperature, okay, I've got my thermometer ready. Brian10x loaned me one of his. :D

Gravelrash
09-29-2007, 04:51 AM
Fair dinkum, Annie, I never expected to be pulled up for being ridgey didge! Fair suck of the sauce bottle and stone the bloody crows, give a bloke a fair shake of the stick!

bad bob
09-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Anyone who can use the phrase "fair dinkum" and get away with it, can't be all bad. Anyway, ol' Bad Bob fully endorses you, that's good enough for me.
As for taking your temperature, okay, I've got my thermometer ready. Brian10x loaned me one of his. :D

YIPES!!!!!!
That must be one of them new-fangled back-door "oral" thermometers. :p

bad bob
09-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Fair dinkum, Annie, I never expected to be pulled up for being ridgey didge! Fair suck of the sauce bottle and stone the bloody crows, give a bloke a fair shake of the stick!

What's this Pete? ...pulled a muscle playing...dodge ball? Pair a socks in a sauce bottle? Black Crows stoned again? Gave Blake a shake spear? Are you ok over there?

Gravelrash
09-30-2007, 10:43 PM
What's this Pete? ...pulled a muscle playing...dodge ball? Pair a socks in a sauce bottle? Black Crows stoned again? Gave Blake a shake spear? Are you ok over there?

Hey Bob - I guess that wasn't a placebo after all!!:p
Amazing, innit! We speak the same language!

brian10x
10-01-2007, 04:32 AM

Funny you should post that picture. I have a framed copy of Annie watching over me as I type this. The perfect woman.

Gravelrash
10-01-2007, 02:54 PM
YIPES!!!!!!
That must be one of them new-fangled back-door "oral" thermometers. :p

I see Laura coming, all smiles.....I'm gone!:eek:

caver
10-01-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm bad about not logging in for half a year. I even have a trip report on here that I never quite finished. :rolleyes:

bad bob
10-01-2007, 05:21 PM
I'm bad about not logging in for half a year. I even have a trip report on here that I never quite finished. :rolleyes:

Oh ok, yer forgiven this time! :)

Gravelrash
10-02-2007, 10:46 PM

You go AWOL as often as you need, Bud, just as long as we get the photos!