PDA

View Full Version : Elkhorn, Montana

Gravelrash
09-14-2007, 11:30 PM
G'day again folks. A lazy Saturday afternoon, googling around various sites listed on the interactive map. It's a dirty job, but......

Anyway, I was looking at
ELKHORN, MONTANA and it looks fantastic. GoogleEarth brings it up with these co-ordinates:-
45*29'11.77 N - 113*03'10.95 W
My GE resolution for this site isn't too good, but it looks like just a clear space in the forest. Is GE off the mark?
I can see some objects that might be buildings but they don't look anywhere near as substantial as the photos of Dolores Steele.
Is ELKHORN still with us?
Has anyone been there recently, who can give an '07 report?
Any info appreciated.

bavarialand
09-16-2007, 11:24 AM
here is the official government site.

http://fwp.mt.gov/lands/site_281892.aspx

has a some info. but some new photo's would be nice.

Dave

Gravelrash
09-16-2007, 04:48 PM
bavarialand, great link. Thanks for taking the time. It's much appreciated.

caver
09-29-2007, 06:29 PM
Try looking up Coolidge. There are two Elkhorns in MT. Try my photo pahe here. If the picture says "upper" then it is in the area I think you are talking about. The old mill burnt down many years ago.
http://caver.smugmug.com/gallery/194404/4

Gravelrash
09-30-2007, 05:02 AM
Try looking up Coolidge. There are two Elkhorns in MT. Try my photo pahe here. If the picture says "upper" then it is in the area I think you are talking about. The old mill burnt down many years ago.
http://caver.smugmug.com/gallery/194404/4

Caver/Brad - thanks for that. I think I've got it now. I am determiend to see it now.
Mate, I've got a few words/questions for ya, in appreciation.

BRAD -

"Abandoned Wickes Railroad tunnel that is about a mile long." - Where is this tunnel? Could you give me some approx GE coordinates?
Also this one-
"Upper Camp Bird Mine." Wherever it is, I was drooling and getting real "green" over your photos! What awesome country!
"Tailings piles with old snow shed remains above Coolidge MT" - I know diddly about snow, so what's the reason for a "snow shed"? You work in snow!!!!? Not this little black duck!
I can see how much you love your dad - good on'ya - "Dad looking down into old railroad tunnel near Bannock Pass - MT/ID border."
"Ore Cash Mine" - where? I'd go surfing to find it but....... I'm celebrating my football team - The Melbourne STORM - just smashing their way to a Grand Final win 34 - 8!!!! Bloody champions!
Page #4 of your photos - you killed me! How am I gonna get through Monday? A couple of the shots you took of Granite....wow! It's definitely #2 town on my list, after Rocky Bar! Maybe before!
Page #5: "Covered wooden half round water flume still in service. Right near the old Kirksville Smelter at Phillipsburg, MT" - this is just one of the best ghost town photos I've ever seen. Great shot, mate. Still in service, to what?
Your #78 - that has to be "Going to the Sun Road", yeah? My mecca. Great shot. Loved the Garnet shots too!
#137 - "Tight switchback after the stair-steps on Black Bear Pass." Where's Black Bear Pass? You KNOW I am going there!Brad, thanks for some great photos. I'm sure everyone is enjoying them at least as much as I am.
By the way, is that a BMW or a Yamaha 500 side valve single?
Is that a GPS array you have on the handlebars?
Whatever, nice ride.
Don't get "Gravelrash"!

caver
10-01-2007, 04:16 PM
I answered some of the questions in a PM. The snow shed was so miners could work through the winter.
Black Bear Pass is in Colorado near ouray and Telluride. Well known in the off-road community.
The bike is a Suzuki DR650 and yes that is a Garmin mapping GPS on the handlebars.

oro-y-plata
10-17-2007, 02:16 PM
To clear the air:
A) The town of Coolidge is in the Mining District of Elkhorn (where there is an Elkhorn mine), located in the Pioneer Mountains of Beaverhead County, Montana.
B) The town of Elkhorn is also in another Mining District called Elkhorn (where there is another mine called the Elkhorn), located in the Elkhorn Mountains of Jefferson County, Montana.
C) The Wickes tunnel connected the smelting (now ghost) town of Wickes with the mines the other side of the mountain saddle, noteabley Amazon, the Australian, and further along, the Comet, and the mines of Basin.
You can walk into the tunnel from the Amazon side but since the R.R. hasn't been used in half a century, there is a rumor that the roof has collapsed.

caver
10-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Terry,
The tunnel is still open as of last year. I rode about 2/3rds of the way through it and I suspect locals still use it. I was on my motorcycle and the soft gravel and water were becoming a pain so I turned around.