PDA

View Full Version : Lothrop, Montana

Gravelrash
09-24-2007, 04:10 PM
I've come across a GoogleEarth post for "Lothrop - Montana - a.k.a Lathrop" - http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/343947/page/0/vc/1
A GoogleEarth search for Lothrop has taken me to a location outside of Alberton, where there seems to be only scattered housing, not a town, as suggested on the GE link, not even a "ghost".
I cannot find any mention of Lothrop/Lathrop on GT.com. Any clues? Thanks again.

bad bob
09-24-2007, 05:22 PM
I've come across a GoogleEarth post for "Lothrop - Montana - a.k.a Lathrop" - http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/343947/page/0/vc/1
A GoogleEarth search for Lothrop has taken me to a location outside of Alberton, where there seems to be only scattered housing, not a town, as suggested on the GE link, not even a "ghost".
I cannot find any mention of Lothrop/Lathrop on GT.com. Any clues? Thanks again.

I plugged "Lothrop, MT" into topozone search and got this result, both places are the same. Click on "Lothrop" to get a topo map of the area.
http://www.topozone.com/viewmaps.asp?method=place&placename=Lothrop&statefips=30

Gravelrash
09-24-2007, 08:11 PM
Good onya Bob - I didn't know about topozone so that's more good info.
It's the same locale as comes up on GE, so that's reassuring. Sometimes GE is miles out.
Looking at the GE post, Lothrop seems quite a substantial "ghost" but it hasn't featured on GT.com (as far as I can see)
Does that mean it doesn't fall into the 1-5 "ghost" categories I've seen discussed by you and Brian etc?
Do I smell a tourist trap?

bad bob
09-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Good onya Bob - I didn't know about topozone so that's more good info.
It's the same locale as comes up on GE, so that's reassuring. Sometimes GE is miles out.
Looking at the GE post, Lothrop seems quite a substantial "ghost" but it hasn't featured on GT.com (as far as I can see)
Does that mean it doesn't fall into the 1-5 "ghost" categories I've seen discussed by you and Brian etc?
Do I smell a tourist trap?

That's a really good question Pete. It probably has been overlooked, though it's not listed in any of the gt books I have. And I don't think it's any tourist trap, or it would be much better known.

Gravelrash
09-24-2007, 09:46 PM
Well, we'd better go have a look then! Somebody's gotta do it and it may as well be us.
Not as hot as BAKErsfield either, I'd say!

bad bob
09-24-2007, 10:05 PM
Well, we'd better go have a look then! Somebody's gotta do it and it may as well be us.
Not as hot as BAKErsfield either, I'd say!

Oh not to mention the endless piney smell, beautiful forests, much less populated, and on and on.
Jes pick me up, and we'll go conduct a multi-media report on Henway, Mon...I mean .. Lothrop Montana, visit some of the numerous other ghosts in the area, and then bbq some ribs. :)

Since we're rapidly moving toward the vernal equinox, temps here dropping into the 80's. Too bad it won't last. But if it did, population here would most likely be similar to LA.

Gravelrash
09-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Don't knock it, mate. We're well into "spring" here and the temp is pretending it will get over 20C.... any day now!
It's almost possible to see Antarctica from here, except for Tassie getting in the way. For sure, we get the breezes off the icecap!
B-B-Q ribs!!! Now, I'm aware this in an American specialty, so I'm in your capable hands. I'm primed to be impressed.
Bob - are you game to hook up with a guy who's only ever driven on the left side of the road, and drive all the way to Montana!! Arggggggggggh! Coming through!
Now I'm gonna go find out what's in Henway.

bad bob
09-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Don't knock it, mate. We're well into "spring" here and the temp is pretending it will get over 20C.... any day now!
It's almost possible to see Antarctica from here, except for Tassie getting in the way. For sure, we get the breezes off the icecap!
B-B-Q ribs!!! Now, I'm aware this in an American specialty, so I'm in your capable hands. I'm primed to be impressed.
Bob - are you game to hook up with a guy who's only ever driven on the left side of the road, and drive all the way to Montana!! Arggggggggggh! Coming through!
Now I'm gonna go find out what's in Henway.

Heck I drive on the left side most of the time here in CA. Old folks so dam slow I spend a lot of time passing. :p

Mmmmm moose ribs are the yummiest!!! :D

Gravelrash
10-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Jes pick me up, and we'll go conduct a multi-media report on Henway, Mon...I mean .. Lothrop Montana,

I'm gonna get you for that! **** or high water, I'm gonna get you! :o :D
I shoulda know, given your hobby!

bad bob
10-04-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm gonna get you for that! **** or high water, I'm gonna get you! :o :D
I shoulda know, given your hobby!

Why Mr Pete..whatever DO you mean? :confused:

Gravelrash
10-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Why Mr Pete..whatever DO you mean? :confused:

I mean the famous village of Henway - Boom Boom!
Is that Imperial or metric weight we are talking about?:o
I'd claim jet lag if I thought I'd get away with it:rolleyes:

Flatiron
10-04-2007, 04:22 PM
I've been to Lathrop. Other than being in a nice spot, it's not really that impressive;)

Gravelrash
10-04-2007, 05:25 PM
I've been to Lathrop. Other than being in a nice spot, it's not really that impressive;)
Thanks Flatiron.
It looks like "one of those" GE placemarks that are not much better than wild stabs in the dark. I get awful sick of clicking on those little GE "i" markers and finding Bigfoot has been there! (Everyone knows Bigfoot migrated to Australia)
Not to mention the rocks people have found and the mine claims no-one is using!

bad bob
10-04-2007, 07:29 PM
I mean the famous village of Henway - Boom Boom!
Is that Imperial or metric weight we are talking about?:o
I'd claim jet lag if I thought I'd get away with it:rolleyes:

Thought about trying caratical, but I knew ya wouldn't buy that....it's actually eye guesstimates! :D
I'll back up yer jet lag claim, and I'll also maintain they lost yer luggage in New Zealand!

oro-y-plata
10-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Lothrop, (correct spelling, according to the post office), had a P.O. from 1900 - 1913.
I drove thru there last summer - didn't even know it was there, - no signs, no buildings, no cabin remains, no Lothrop.

dlabtot
03-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Lothrop was the name of a railway engineer. He was in charge of laying the line from Missoula to Mullan. A railway station was established near Petty Creek and that's how the town got his name. Soon there were homesteaders on both sides of the river. Then in 1900 the Western Lumber Company started building its sawmill. By 1902 Lothrop had 200 residents, 2 mills, stores, saloons, and a hotel. But when the big mill closed in 1910 or 11, the railway station followed in 1912. By 1915, the town was no longer listed in the county directory. The school remained open till 1918. But people have lived there right along.