PDA

View Full Version : Detailed Directions To Chrysopolis?????/

ford-willy
09-30-2007, 11:20 AM
Hi All-----New member & first post. I love he Owens Valley area of the southern Sierras. Grew up fishing, hunting, and exploring around that area. Now that I'm retired I want to spend more time there. ------- I tried last year to find Chrysopolis. I know it is around Independence & not to far from highway 395, but could not be sure I was on the raised old train track road. Any detailed directions out there? I am going to be up there next week looking again.

old judge
09-30-2007, 02:21 PM
Try topozone via GNIS. OJ

David A. Wright
10-01-2007, 03:05 PM
... I tried last year to find Chrysopolis. I know it is around Independence & not to far from highway 395, but could not be sure I was on the raised old train track road. Any detailed directions out there? I am going to be up there next week looking again.
Drive east on Mazourka Canyon Road (found at the south end of Independence) 4.5 miles to the old railroad grade. Turn north (left). Continue just shy of three miles. This is the site of San Carlos. Continue north. I don't have access to my notes currently as to exact mileage north of San Carlos, but I'm thinking around 5.25 miles north of Mazourka Canyon Road. The main traveled road will move off and onto the railroad grade, but you'll see some stone ruins alongside the road. At this point the railroad grade will be a short distance west of the main traveled road and will pass through a shallow cut. There will be ruins on both sides of the traveled road.