PDA

View Full Version : DIRECTIONS TO GLEN CANYONS "Lonely Dell Ranch"

JeepinAZ
10-04-2007, 08:08 PM
I was seeing if anybody knows how to get to and can tell me the directions on how to get to Lees Ferry and the Lonely Dell Ranch site, the one with the graveyard, stone buildings up by Glen Canyon. Any help would be appreciated, I guess the hubby and I will be taking a trip out there soon and directions would be a big help:rolleyes:

bad bob
10-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Odd characterization in my case, since the only accurate part is "Map Totin'", and "Ghost Towner". :o

brian10x
10-07-2007, 06:18 AM
I was seeing if anybody knows how to get to and can tell me the directions on how to get to Lees Ferry and the Lonely Dell Ranch site, the one with the graveyard, stone buildings up by Glen Canyon. Any help would be appreciated, I guess the hubby and I will be taking a trip out there soon and directions would be a big help:rolleyes:
It helps us just a little bit if you mention what state, country, or planet you are looking in. There might be more than one Dell Ranch.

old judge
10-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Fact is, there are directions on several internet sites. Try Googling "Lonely Dell Ranch Utah", and look around. The wife and I were through there a couple of years ago, and enjoyed staying in Kanab and foraging forth from there. No great trick to find. OJ

speedy
10-08-2007, 04:52 AM
OJ, since Saturday I have been in a "blue funk" over the results of the "Red River Shootout". I may need professional help....Speedy

old judge
10-08-2007, 09:16 AM
Private message to Speedy: I have all the respect in the world for folks from Texas. I almost married three, and did marry one, sort of. But son, I've been in a Blue funk for 364 days, prior to that game, and 365 days, prior to the one before that. Further, I attended OU from 1961 to 1965. Nuf said? BOOMER SOONER, Amigo. OJ ....p.s. Wanna make a bet OU's in the BCS Championship game?

speedy
10-10-2007, 02:46 PM
I would not be at all suprised.....Speedy

JeepinAZ
10-10-2007, 09:55 PM
yeah that would help huh. I am talking about the Lonely dell ranch in AZ

GaryB
10-14-2007, 09:18 PM
According to my Benchmark Arizona Atlas, page 29 section 8B: Lees Ferry- take US 89 north out of Flagstaff, through Willow Springs and take US 89A at Bitter Springs. Just over the river in Marble Canyon, will be a turn off for Lees Ferry Campgrounds. The Ferry Site is located at the end of that road.

JeepinAZ
10-16-2007, 08:15 PM
According to my Benchmark Arizona Atlas, page 29 section 8B: Lees Ferry- take US 89 north out of Flagstaff, through Willow Springs and take US 89A at Bitter Springs. Just over the river in Marble Canyon, will be a turn off for Lees Ferry Campgrounds. The Ferry Site is located at the end of that road.

thank you so much, how its just when to go, do you think it will take long to get there:D

Gravelrash
10-16-2007, 09:25 PM
thank you so much, how its just when to go, do you think it will take long to get there:D
Jeep - what happens/will happen in Lonely Dell? Just some R & R?
I'm loving those names and directions.

Flagstaff, through Willow Springs and take US 89A at Bitter Springs. Just over the river in Marble Canyon,
It's like driving through an old Chuck Berry song.
Do you people have any comprehension of just where it is you live? It's not just america....it's AMERICA!
It's like you're in the backyard of everyones history - every day!
Ah do believe ah'll head on ovah t' Bitter Springs n' hold up the Marble Canyon stage.

(exit, left... to the sound of Hank Williams......)

GaryB
10-17-2007, 08:41 AM

I forget where you're at, but it's about 10 miles as the crow flies from Page. A rough estimate using the mileage graph looks to be about 110 miles north of Flagstaff. US 89 looks to be a mostly straight shot till you hit the river.

GaryB
10-17-2007, 08:46 AM
It's not just america....it's AMERICA!
It's like you're in the backyard of everyones history - every day!

For some reason, our early ancestors and map makers felt it necessary to name every ridge, valley, wash and gopher hole. Where my family is from, directions can be rough for a non local. It seems mileage isn't available, you just have to know which knoll to go past, and which ranch road to turn on. If you go past the third gate, you've gone too far.

Gravelrash
10-17-2007, 02:22 PM
For some reason, our early ancestors and map makers felt it necessary to name every ridge, valley, wash and gopher hole. Where my family is from, directions can be rough for a non local. It seems mileage isn't available, you just have to know which knoll to go past, and which ranch road to turn on. If you go past the third gate, you've gone too far.

Mud maps are always fun!
Very different here Gary, which I am sure reflects the iron rule of the British we endured. Most of our expanses are unnamed, just the major natural fixtures.
All settlement was heavily proscribed and planned.

I've been thinking a lot about the reasons Oz and the USA developed so very differently, given that we have so many similarities.
I am sure it all boils down to the fact that you threw of their yoke and we didn't.
Australia, of course, was designed as a jail, and it is far more inhospitable than America.
The only law here was very tyranical and, very importantly, the British Infantry assigned to be "prison guards" did not want to be here. They despaired of ever seeing home, and hated the post. It was seen as the end of the road - goodbye career, family and "old Blighty"
So they took out their frustrations on the populace and crushed the spirit with gusto.
The majority of the "jail" never had walls - they were not needed. Run where??
So, as the colony expanded, all they needed to do was increase the military presence in order to maintain their iron control, which they did.
So, everything from carving roads to naming mountains was strictly monitored and "all present and correct, Sah".
I think that's why I am so attracted to the American pioneer period - no-one told those people how to be and look what they did!!
I'm proud of our British heritage but much prouder of my convict forebears!
Not very happy that England beat us in the Rugby World Cup - again!