PDA

View Full Version : I must have come to the right place!!!

Rodney K. Hasting
10-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Hello to one and all;
I'm a rookie, I'm looken to do some searching in the old west flat lands. Living in Iowa, one only sees corn fields, more to life than that. I will have my RV up and runing next spring, and looking for old settelments.
What interest me is Arizona and New Mexico, looks like fun.
I like exploring, rockhounding, and have metal detector. I will explore if weather permits. I don't like tours, somewhat a loner, but will rondieview with a small group. I'm retired, wanting to enjoy life, to see whats over that next hill. I like arrowhead hunting, old bottel hunting, searching for old coins, old mines, rock hunting, and watching the sun go down next to a good camp fire. Sooo how does one get his feet wet, any ideas. Hasting

bad bob
10-23-2007, 08:25 PM
Hello to one and all;
I'm a rookie, I'm looken to do some searching in the old west flat lands. Living in Iowa, one only sees corn fields, more to life than that. I will have my RV up and runing next spring, and looking for old settelments.
What interest me is Arizona and New Mexico, looks like fun.
I like exploring, rockhounding, and have metal detector. I will explore if weather permits. I don't like tours, somewhat a loner, but will rondieview with a small group. I'm retired, wanting to enjoy life, to see whats over that next hill. I like arrowhead hunting, old bottel hunting, searching for old coins, old mines, rock hunting, and watching the sun go down next to a good camp fire. Sooo how does one get his feet wet, any ideas. Hasting

Welcome, and you have indeed come to the right place (IMO). The general ghost town-related info posted here by some of these folks is awe inspirin'.

Anyway when I first lit out, I picked up a gt guide at a coin shop. My books are outdated now, so try and find more recent ones. I think there are suggested GT books back on this home page. You should be able to get a guide that covers sites in the western half of the US. For more detailed guides, consider the ones covering quadrants like NW, SW, etc. And finally there are the ones that cover individual states. These will likely be the most detailed.

I combined the guide books with the Rand McNally road atlas. If you're into GPS systems, there's a couple of threads on that.

Lastly, there's the state by state listings here at GT.com. Use the drop-down menu from the home page at the top, "UNITED STATES: Select a State". Some of these listings were submitted around 1998, when GT.com came online, and many places may have changed over time, or may have vanished completely.

Gravelrash
10-23-2007, 08:29 PM
Rod - while I'm situated a few miles west of California, I can tell you you are spot on about this being the right place. If there's a bit of desert or an old ghost town these guys and gals don't know about, you don't want to either!
I'm heading over in Summer '08 and I've got the same idea as you - the rondeiview. There's gold up in them thar hills and I'm gonna get me some! Hopefully we might cross paths and do a bit of serious camp-fire tall-tale-telling!

Walkingsticks
11-09-2007, 10:51 PM
That is what my friend and I do year around, except we sleep in sleeping bags in a tent some times in cold weather, so times warm. But we rarely find old coins, bottles or artifacts as some one usually beats us to them. I am 75, but still very active as I can still hike eight miles a day up steep mountain trails carrying a backpack with 15 pounds or more and using two yucca walking sticks to balance me on steep trails where in some places the trail is only eight inches wide with 500 to 800 feet drop offs nearly straight down, one slip and you are dead. Often times we have to slither down over ten foot drop offs over boulders the size of houses or up them to make our way to old homesteads, forts, abandoned ranches or ghost towns because that is the only way in. Both my friend and I are rugged individuals when it comes to trekking across terrain to get to our destination when we aren't going by his 1987 Toyota for wheel drive pickup truck, as the roads sometimes gives out and we have to start walking.

We both carry Snake-Gards" (brand name) in case we are in snake country, which we often are and often see lots of snakes enroute.
But it seems you travel a lot more modern than we do and therefore getting to true ghost towns off the beaten path where few venture to go, you might never get to see, except in books.
But good luck on your quest anyway.