PDA

View Full Version : Animal Encounters

mainmanwalkin
10-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Has anyone had any encounters with wildlife while out ghosttown hunting? I've seen this dicussion come up at various times in different threads and it's a very interesing subject.

(I posted parts of this one below on another topic)

From time to time I've come across alligators, snakes, birds, and big cats during my Florida ghost town hunting. It's usually always a memorable encounter.

I've seen a few gators swimming along in ponds and lakes when I've been out ghost town hunting. I saw one swimming in a marshy area of Torrey Island when I was searching for Geerworth, and another in a small pond when I found the site of Lokosee. This is the truth, it's better to see them than to hear one and not know where it is.

Once when my girlfriend and I were leaving Koreshan we stopped along the side of the road and got out to watch the sunset. Soon enough I heard the distinct alligator sounds nearby in the bushes across from the car.

Last december on a ghost town trip when visiting Kenansville (on the GT site) My girlfriend and I had driven out to the cemetery and as soon as we went thru the entrance we saw this big orange cat take off running, jump over the old chain link fence and disappear into the woods. It happened too quick for me to really identify it, other than to see that it was an adult big cat of some sort.

Most recently we spotted two Perigrine Falcons standing in the road along a remote part of the middle of the state. They didnt even move as we drove up, instead making us swerve out of their way! (this also may explain the dead one we saw that same day)

HollyDolly
10-29-2007, 12:59 PM
:) No,I haven't,but it is a good idea to keep your eyes open and be alert.
Around here in south Texas,you can find armadillos,skunks, scorpions, bees, javalinas(wild pigs) bats and rattlesnakes among other critters.
i would be worried more about snakes and scorpions than armadillos.
Wonder if anyone has had encounters with animals?

brian10x
10-29-2007, 08:12 PM
Has anyone had any encounters with wildlife while out ghosttown hunting? I've seen this dicussion come up at various times in different threads and it's a very interesing subject.

(I posted parts of this one below on another topic)

From time to time I've come across alligators, snakes, birds, and big cats during my Florida ghost town hunting. It's usually always a memorable encounter.

I've seen a few gators swimming along in ponds and lakes when I've been out ghost town hunting. I saw one swimming in a marshy area of Torrey Island when I was searching for Geerworth, and another in a small pond when I found the site of Lokosee. This is the truth, it's better to see them then to hear one and not know where it is.

Once when my girlfriend and I were leaving Koreshan we stopped along the side of the road and got out to watch the sunset. Soon enough I heard the distinct alligator sounds nearby in the bushes across from the car.

Last december on a ghost town trip when visiting Kenansville (on the GT site) My girlfriend and I had driven over the cemetery and as soon as we went thru the entrance we saw this big orange cat take off running, jump over the old chain link fence and disappear into the woods. It happened to quick for me to really identify it, other than to see that it was an adult big cat of some sort.

Most recently we spotted two Perigrine Falcons standing in the road along a remote part of the middle of the state. They didnt even move as we drove up, instead making us swerve out of their way! (this also may explain the dead one we saw that same day)

Here in Southern Arizona I've encountered javelina,deer, a snake or three, rabbits, and illegal aliens.

Gravelrash
10-29-2007, 08:39 PM
:) Wonder if anyone has had encounters with animals?

Does getting chased by a wild elephant count, Dolly? It was nearly 10 years ago, and I can still hear him!!:eek:

Dang....they fast!!

Gravelrash
10-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Here in Southern Arizona I've encountered ...... illegal aliens.

Did you need "tags" for that too, Brian?

Rastus
10-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Did you need "tags" for that too, Brian?Shoot and release?

Gravelrash
10-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Shoot and release?

LOL - that must be it, Rastus, 'cause they seem to keep coming back!
At least down here they can't walk over the border, they hafta swim from Indonesian fishing boats!
Or the Govt just lets 'em in, if they've got a good story!:mad:
Australia - Mecca of the far South.

LauraA
10-30-2007, 04:39 AM
The only really scary encounter with a critter we've had was when we were looking for the Blue Bird Mine. We were driving along, with the windows open and I had my hand hanging out of the window. As we passed an embankment right next to the Jeep on a very narrow road, we heard a loud buzz, just as a rattler struck out...right at window level. Evidently he was sunning himself on the embankment and we startled him. He was extremely angry when we backed up to look at him. I've learned not to hang my hand out of the window.
We've seen lots of critters, a Cougar, numerous rattlers, a Coatimundi, a Gila Monster (they're very illusive, we were fortunate to see one) eagles of all kinds, hawks, White-tailed Deer, Mule Deer, two Big Horn Sheep and some adorable owls, huge Jack Rabbits, skunks, raccoons, coyotes, tarantulas, scorpions (several times we've had scorpions in our house) and loads of Javelina. Still waiting to see an Elk here but I'm sure that'll come eventually.

This is the rattler that "jumped" at the Jeep. It's difficult to see him in this photo, but he's a big one.

Gravelrash
10-30-2007, 02:23 PM
This is the rattler that "jumped" at the Jeep. It's difficult to see him in this photo, but he's a big one.

Not wrong, Laura - he's a big 'un! Nasty tempers on those boys!

Darin
10-30-2007, 05:54 PM
:rolleyes: Did Laura get a new hat band???

ghost_town_huntress
10-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Wait a minute, I thought coatimundis were Central and South American creatures, not North American. My Mom's got a cat named Cody that I call Coatimundi because I think he looks like one.

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

The only really scary encounter with a critter we've had was when we were looking for the Blue Bird Mine. We were driving along, with the windows open and I had my hand hanging out of the window. As we passed an embankment right next to the Jeep on a very narrow road, we heard a loud buzz, just as a rattler struck out...right at window level. Evidently he was sunning himself on the embankment and we startled him. He was extremely angry when we backed up to look at him. I've learned not to hang my hand out of the window.
We've seen lots of critters, a Cougar, numerous rattlers, a Coatimundi, a Gila Monster (they're very illusive, we were fortunate to see one) eagles of all kinds, hawks, White-tailed Deer, Mule Deer, two Big Horn Sheep and some adorable owls, huge Jack Rabbits, skunks, raccoons, coyotes, tarantulas, scorpions (several times we've had scorpions in our house) and loads of Javelina. Still waiting to see an Elk here but I'm sure that'll come eventually.

Gravelrash
10-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Wait a minute, I thought coatimundis were Central and South American creatures, not North American. My Mom's got a cat named Cody that I call Coatimundi because I think he looks like one.

Rachel, I thought Coatimundi was a town in N.S.W, when I first read these posts.
More critters than you can poke a stick at, over yonder!
I want to see bear and cougars but I know I'll end up with skunks!:rolleyes:

LauraA
10-31-2007, 05:19 AM
Wait a minute, I thought coatimundis were Central and South American creatures, not North American.

Coatimundi (DesertUSA) (http://www.desertusa.com/may97/du_coati2.html)

We took these shots in March, 07 on FR609 about four miles from Greenback Valley, AZ
When I first saw it, I thought it was the love child of a raccoon and a cat.:D

Ghostdancer
10-31-2007, 05:21 AM
Did encounter a rattlesnake on a visit to Ft. Rucker in Arizona twenty one years ago. Judging from it's appearance it may have been a Mojave rattler.

We were in an area near Tombstone one time when a Coatimundi appeared and then ran from us.

These are about the only encounters with wildlife that we've had.

Tom

LauraA
10-31-2007, 05:57 AM
:rolleyes: Did Laura get a new hat band???

LOL We've got an agreement with Ma Nature, if she keeps them out of our yard, they'll live. The first rattling trespasser we find around the house, all bets are off and we'll have a new hat band. :D

High Desert Drifter
11-01-2007, 06:36 PM
I'm lucky... On my explorations I've had first hand experience with;

Rattlers
Scorpions
Tarantulas
Buzzards
Hawks
Eagles
Coyote
Wolves
Mountain Lions
Bob Cat
Wild Pigs
Indians
three legged dogs in Mexico
and yes, illegal aliens, Ok, I lied... they were standing in front of home depot!

bad bob
11-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Drifter, I think I know ya well enough that I can safely say ya didn't mean to include Indians and illegal aliens on the same list as animal encounters. :o

I do the same thing...start listing things, or whatever, and temporarily lose track of the subject matter. Four 7-11 "specialty drinks" will have to be deducted from yer account. :p

High Desert Drifter
11-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Drifter, I think I know ya well enough that I can safely say ya didn't mean to include Indians and illegal aliens on the same list as animal encounters. :o

I do the same thing...start listing things, or whatever, and temporarily lose track of the subject matter. Four 7-11 "specialty drinks" will have to be deducted from yer account. :p

Opps......

Gravelrash
11-01-2007, 09:15 PM
My first wife would top any list you can come up with!

Gravelrash
11-02-2007, 02:55 PM
While I was ghost-towning around Washington State I came across this GE community post that might be of interest to other big cat fanciers.
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/61422/page/vc

Walkingsticks
11-18-2007, 01:37 PM
I know this thread is a fortnight old, but I gotta tell ya that we have seen the following animals and other critters while out ghost towning: snakes of every sort including lots of rattlesnakes, tarantulas, mountain lions, javalinas, deer, black bears, skunks, wolves, coyotes, antelopes, elk, owls, eagles, hawks, ibexis, foxes. coons, badgers, rats, cranes, wild turkeys, a camel, horses, cows and donkeys. But the two we fear the most are mountain lions and javalinas, as both will come after a man. The big mountain lion we seen ran across the road in front of us as we were driving and we were once hiking in the desert and came across a lone javalina. We stood perfectly still until he wandered off as they are very dangerous. And another time a black bear ran up a hill not far from us. The one camel was in a field eating and the ibexis are wild here in New Mexico as they were brought over from Africa years ago and turned loose in the desert so people could hunt them. We have seen several wolves and even got a picture of one. Oh and we see buffalo all of the time on Turner's ranches or some one else's.

ghost_town_huntress
11-18-2007, 02:57 PM
??? What's a javelina???

I know this thread is a fortnight old, but I gotta tell ya that we have seen the following animals and other critters while out ghost towning: snakes of every sort including lots of rattlesnakes, tarantulas, mountain lions, javalinas, deer, black bears, skunks, wolves, coyotes, antelopes, elk, owls, eagles, hawks, ibexis, foxes. coons, badgers, rats, cranes, wild turkeys, a camel, horses, cows and donkeys. But the two we fear the most are mountain lions and javalinas, as both will come after a man. The big mountain lion we seen ran across the road in front of us as we were driving and we were once hiking in the desert and came across a lone javalina. We stood perfectly still until he wandered off as they are very dangerous. And another time a black bear ran up a hill not far from us. The one camel was in a field eating and the ibexis are wild here in New Mexico as they were brought over from Africa years ago and turned loose in the desert so people could hunt them. We have seen several wolves and even got a picture of one. Oh and we see buffalo all of the time on Turner's ranches or some one else's.

Flatiron
11-18-2007, 03:08 PM
A Javelina is a "pig like" animal that roams most of Az. and I presume parts of New Mexico and old Mexico, as well. I say "pig like" as sometimes it is debatable as to whether it is a member of the pig family. There is a javelina hunting season here in Az., and I tend to think they're not as dangerous as some folks make them out to be. We see them quite often, as they tend to like our bird feeder, and bird bath. I know there was a problem a few years ago in the Payson area, with javelinas attacking small dogs on occasion. They don't smell too good and sound like a bear when fighting, with a deep gutteral sound. Anyway, I hope this helps.......

Goat
11-18-2007, 03:09 PM
A javelina is a small type of wild pig (peccary). I've hunted them in Northern Az, but the ones that I've been around were more wary and cautious rather than intimidating. Quite a bit of scouting and stalking is required to be successful.

bad bob
11-20-2007, 12:44 AM
A javelina is a small type of wild pig (peccary). I've hunted them in Northern Az, but the ones that I've been around were more wary and cautious rather than intimidating. Quite a bit of scouting and stalking is required to be successful.

Hmmmm and I thought it was a female track and field athlete. Whooooops.
:p

Walkingsticks
11-20-2007, 09:33 PM
The boors are very dangerous and will attack humans as they are not afraid of you. And I have told by many persons their meat is awful. The wild pig and the mountain lions are both dangerous and not be be fooled with. I grew up in the west on ranches and know this for a fact as I worked a ranch that a woman owned and she told us that mountain lions were known to stalk people and one had stalked her before she killed it with a rifle and had it tanned into a coat for herself.

She said she had been cornered by a javalina boor in which she also shot and had the cowboys cook it and it's taste was so bad they had to bury the meat.:mad:

Goat
11-24-2007, 08:53 AM
Here's a link that might shed a little light on the javelina http://www.gunblast.com/JimTaylor_Javelina.htm
It mirrors my experiences with them.

LauraA
11-24-2007, 01:12 PM
Wow Goat, I didn't know they're edible. I may have to reconsider chasing them away from our house.
Here's a couple of no-good, cowardly, miserable, rotten varmints after raiding my hybrid prickly pears last year. Sorry for the blurry pictures, but they're running cause I'm banging a trash can lid to scare them off. The first picture is a medium size male, the second, a smaller female.
Maybe it's time for a pig roast.:D

Gravelrash
11-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Here's a link that might shed a little light on the javelina http://www.gunblast.com/JimTaylor_Javelina.htm
It mirrors my experiences with them.

Nice link Goat. Especially interested to learn about the scent gland and it's effects on the meat. His recipe made it sound delicious!
If anyone is interested in one of the best meat tenderisers available, try fresh Paw Paw skin. Thai bbq is the tenderest, most succulent I've ever eaten and they use the Paw Paw on all their tougher meats, like Buffalo and beef (which is tough to them).
Paw Paw skin is also one of the most incredible "medicines" the up-country people have in dealing with ulcers on their skin. You can imagine, ulcers are quite common in the tropics and they've figured out the humble paw paw is a good remedy, internally and externally!
Anyway, just wrap your meat pieces in paw paw for 2-3 hours ~ good result.

Gravelrash
11-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Wow Goat, I didn't know they're edible. I may have to reconsider chasing them away from our house.
Here's a couple of no-good, cowardly, miserable, rotten varmints after raiding my hybrid prickly pears last year. Sorry for the blurry pictures, but they're running cause I'm banging a trash can lid to scare them off. The first picture is a medium size male, the second, a smaller female.
Maybe it's time for a pig roast.:D

Laura, your backyard continues to amaze!

Goat
11-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Javelina are a lot like rabbit in that you have to be careful when cutting into and then skinning them. Peel the skin off and DON'T perforate the intestines, as the meat will be ruined. A lot of people say that the meat is gamey or just downright nasty, but it's really just how you prepare it.

Rabbits can carry a BUNCH of parasites in the warmer months, so they are generally safer to eat after the first frost hits the ground. Of course if it's a survival situation, cook it about 8-12 inches over a fire until it is very blackened/well done, but still DON'T eat anything inside the intestinal membrane, and don't let your dogs eat it either. Rabbits also carry a parasite called "wolves" which is quite scary to find. It is a big bump under their skin that contains a grub looking critter. I don't know what causes it, but it looks nasty, and I toss the carcass if I see it. But overall, rabbits are tastee...mmmm.

I don't know for sure Laura, but you must have a camera around your neck at all times! So many great photos here that you have added. You might get rid of those pesky javelina's if you mount those "POSTED: no javelina" signs closer to the ground (and in large print) so they can read them with their poor eyesight!

Gravel, I've never heard of Paw-Paw before. Might have to search around for some. Thanks!

LauraA
11-26-2007, 03:51 AM
I don't know for sure Laura, but you must have a camera around your neck at all times!

We DO have a camera at the ready at all times. When we go out Jeeping, I keep it in my hand so we don't miss a good shot or an unusual critter.
Actually, there are more Javelina pictures than the ones I've posted, but those shots include a crazy old lady running down the road wearing pajamas, banging a trash can lid, my hubby couldn't resist. :o

sgriffith57
11-26-2007, 10:05 AM
God, I miss Arizona.

teds280z
11-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Hey Buddy Quit Trying To Spam Us

Gravelrash
12-02-2007, 01:42 AM
Good man, Ted.

ghost_town_huntress
12-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Well that would explain why I've never seen a javelina. They only live in Arizona, Texas and New Mexico. But I'd never even heard of them until a few weeks ago. I doh't know if I should consider myself lucky or not for not having encountered many animals in my explorations. A few cattle, wild horses in Nevada, some wild turkeys, two snakes (one was a rattler), deer, LOTS of jackrabbits and little bunnies, chipmunks, squirrels, groundhogs and one very nasty ghost. I've heard about a herd of camels wandering in the desert of southern Utah, apparently the military let them loose after WW2, but I've never seen any.

The boors are very dangerous and will attack humans as they are not afraid of you. And I have told by many persons their meat is awful. The wild pig and the mountain lions are both dangerous and not be be fooled with. I grew up in the west on ranches and know this for a fact as I worked a ranch that a woman owned and she told us that mountain lions were known to stalk people and one had stalked her before she killed it with a rifle and had it tanned into a coat for herself.

She said she had been cornered by a javalina boor in which she also shot and had the cowboys cook it and it's taste was so bad they had to bury the meat.:mad:

HollyDolly
12-18-2007, 10:23 AM
:rolleyes: I think Paw-Paws are also called custard apples.
They do grow wild in the US.
And at Gurney's seeds and several other places you can actually buy the seeds or trees.

I guess if you could corral a javalina and feed it corn and other grain,you might clean it out so to speak,and the meat might taste better.

Bob
12-18-2007, 02:54 PM
... I've heard about a herd of camels wandering in the desert of southern Utah, apparently the military let them loose after WW2, but I've never seen any.

Rachel, I think your off by a hundred years but maybe there is another story I've not heard. There were feral camels roaming the west and I've read reports of them as late as 1915 but they were released by the Army back in the Civil War era. Back in 1854 when Jeff Davis (Yes that Jefferson Davis) was head of the war Department, the Army got into the Camel business, They got out of the camel business in 1866 but they sold those camels. During the Civil War, the confederates snarfed some Union camels and the Union Army recovered most but a Confederate Colonel spirited away about a dozen to Mexico. After the war, he bought a bunch more camels, added them to his herd of liberated Union camels. He brought his whole herd (Far more of which where not civil war contraband back across the border where the Army confiscated ALL of them. It is those camels the Military released in Arizona. The last time I heard, his ancestors were still suing the government to recover loses from that quasi-legal siezure.

Camels would escape and feral camels would adapt. The only enemy they had were hungry humans. Used to haul salt and such in Nevada. They would scare horses and mules so many places, like Virginia City, had ordinances that prohibted camels in the City limits during the daytime.

One of my favorite stores is about "streamboat tracks." Anson Call was called (Asked by Bringham Young) in 1864 to establish a port on the Colorado River for Steamboats to deliver goods from the outside world, He selected a spot a few miles upstream of the junction of the Las Vegas River and the Colorado where he set about to build a storehouse and await the first Steamboat. Anson hired some local indians for help in building the landing. When the time came for the first shipment, he asked one of the hired Indians to go down the along the Colorado to see if the Steamboat was nearing the rapids in Black Canyon. The Indian returned a few days later and said, he hadn't seen the steamboat but he had seen "streamboat tracks." All work stopped! A Curious assortment of Mormon's set out to see the what were "steamboat tracks." They found the tracks, still confused the followed the tracks and recovered a camel which eventually was returned to its owner. Unknown and never seen, the Indian not knowning what a steamboat, and never having encountered a camel, reason "streamboat tracks."

Gravelrash
12-18-2007, 03:15 PM
And at Gurney's seeds and several other places you can actually buy the seeds or trees.

I guess if you could corral a javalina and feed it corn and other grain,you might clean it out so to speak,and the meat might taste better.

Hey Dolly, you are quite right. The paw-paw is also known as the custard apple, so I've given a bum steer as far as my cooking tip goes!
What I was refering to is "papaya". I made the mistake of using the name aussies use for it. We only import custard apples, so the marketers etc gave them the name paw-paw and it stuck.
The meat tenderising properties of custard apples are unknown to me, but I still think I'd back papaya against a javelinas tough and mangey hide!

David A. Wright
12-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Cougar (mountain lion)
Rattlesnakes
Sidewinder
Burros
Wild horses
Antelope
Eagles
Hawks
Owls
Humans ...

High Desert Drifter
12-19-2007, 11:36 AM

you can always give it an enema! tie him up and I'll go get the hot water bottle:)

High Desert Drifter
12-19-2007, 11:41 AM
"They would scare horses and mules so many places, like Virginia City, had ordinances that prohibted camels in the City limits during the daytime". bob

That's a good idea... we should do the same in our towns for those who ride them!!!!!

Gravelrash
12-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Can't resist it!

You Might Be a Member of the Taliban or Al Qaeda if...

10. You refine heroin for a living, but you have a moral objection to beer.

9. You own a $300 machine gun and a $5,000 rocket launcher, but you can't afford shoes.

8. You have more wives than teeth.

7. You think vests come in two styles: bullet-proof and suicide.

6. You can't think of anyone you HAVEN'T declared Jihad against.

5. You consider television dangerous, but routinely carry ammunition in your robe.

4. You've never been asked, "Does this burka make my *** look fat?"

3. You were amazed to discover that cell phones have uses other than setting off roadside bombs.

2. You've never uttered the phrase, "I love what you've done with your cave."

1. You wipe your butt with your bare left hand, but consider bacon unclean.

High Desert Drifter
12-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Can't resist it!

OMG! that was funny... you got to let me borrow it as a blog.

bad bob
12-19-2007, 10:11 PM
Yep I agree with ya Frank.
Hilarious. Thanks Pete.

danbo
12-20-2007, 06:51 AM
I found this clip on another board. It's a debate on Al-Jazeera where a woman puts it down "in spades" about what's wrong with radical Islam. It put a tear in my eye to finally hear someone "tell it like it is". Worth the watch! Check it out.

http://switch3.castup.net/cunet/gm.asp?ai=214&ar=1050wmv&ak=nul

High Desert Drifter
12-20-2007, 04:23 PM
I found this clip on another board. It's a debate on Al-Jazeera where a woman puts it down "in spades" about what's wrong with radical Islam. It put a tear in my eye to finally hear someone "tell it like it is". Worth the watch! Check it out.

http://switch3.castup.net/cunet/gm.asp?ai=214&ar=1050wmv&ak=nul

I watched the video.. this lady hit the nail on the head. told like it is from one of their own!

sbruce
12-21-2007, 04:48 PM
I hunt wild pig in Fort Hunter Liggett in the black powder range, although I prefer bow hunting for wild turkey - in season of course. Pig can be hunted year round here. Wild boar are more of a challenge with black powder or a bow than with a regular rifle.

I also have a Winchester 1894 mf'r 1917 which uses the .32 special cartridge and is no problem for wild boar hunting in the high power rifle section of FHL. They are not particularly dangerous unless cornered in an area where they have no outlet, and they will definitely avoid you under normal circumstances.

And as far as radicals go, there are many kinds of radicals all over the world - and they come in all flavors, sizes, and creeds not just Islam. Timothy McVeigh was one, and so was Irv Rubin - both home grown and part of activist political movements which still exist today.

LauraA
01-04-2008, 07:22 AM
We had another Javelina visit just a few minutes ago, this time it was the whole herd, we counted 11 in all. As much as I hate to see them eat our hybrid prickly pears, I have to admit, the babies sure are cute. :)

Mom & her two tiny babies

Part of the rest of the herd

Goat
01-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Again Miss Laura, beautiful pictures!

I hesitated to post this earlier, but on New Years' Day we took out the newly lifted and shod Jeep for some off-roading. My wife and her cousin were a couple hundred yards ahead of us as we winded our way back down Little Potosi Peak. Asa we rounded the corner, our Tacoma was parked in the middle of the road ahead of us, with both the girls straining to look to the right. I heard my wife's voice on the talk box: "There's a bear in the scrub over there!". We (cousin's boyfriend and I) got out of the Jeep and walked up to see where the bear was. She pointed to some scrub about 70 yards away and said that it has crossed the ridge in front of them and high tailed it out of sight. From the top of the ridge, there was no bear in sight, but there was a gully slightly behind the scrub that could have been an escape route. There arent supposed to be any black bears in this area and they should be hibernating now, but who knows?

LauraA
01-05-2008, 03:34 AM
Goat, Thanks, glad you enjoyed the pics. Congrats on your new lift & "shoes"...that'll sure help you get to some of the more extreme locations.
Maybe the bears heard about Al Gore's speech on Global Warming and figured it was okay to postpone hibernating? :rolleyes: :D

Gravelrash
01-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Laura, I lreally appreciated the piccies too. Your little piece of paradise looks interesting.
No fair - picking on Al. He can't help it.

teds280z
05-03-2008, 06:09 AM
The first time I went to Seven Troughs, NV I made the wrong turn(anyone ever do this) and went over the mt. range. I found a little oasis with 2 cabins from early 1900(Had Electric) and I had a Albino Wild Burro that was really interested in what I was doing there. a little errie as since I continued into this huge valley(as far as you can see I ran into a second one. I did decide to turn back and when I got back to the oasis the other one was still there. 2 Albinos(yes pink eyes) in one day. Can you figure?

brian10x
05-03-2008, 10:02 AM
The first time I went to Seven Troughs, NV I made the wrong turn(anyone ever do this) and went over the mt. range. I found a little oasis with 2 cabins from early 1900(Had Electric) and I had a Albino Wild Burro that was really interested in what I was doing there. a little errie as since I continued into this huge valley(as far as you can see I ran into a second one. I did decide to turn back and when I got back to the oasis the other one was still there. 2 Albinos(yes pink eyes) in one day. Can you figure?

Its usually in once in a lifetime situations like that one I forget to take pictures.

Did you have a camera on you?

Joel
05-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Best encounter that I have is a bear in Tex Canyon.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/Joelfriday/Wasp/Chiricahua_Mountains_Arizona_092807.jpg

Joel
05-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Best encounter that I have is a bear in Tex Canyon. South side of the Chiricahuas.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c139/Joelfriday/Wasp/Chiricahua_Mountains_Arizona_092807.jpg

teds280z
05-03-2008, 02:30 PM
I have a disc somewhere that has alot of ghosttowns. I think I got the first one. I'll look

Gravelrash
05-04-2008, 02:11 AM
Joel, that photo has made my day! The country-side is very enticing too. It's so very NOT Australian!

campp
05-04-2008, 04:29 AM
Thanks Danbo, really enjoyed that clip.

The nastiest animals I see are the urban copper miners.

05-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Bears
Rattle snakes
Cougars
Beavers
every species of Dear
Moose
Elk
Coyote
Wolf
Owls
Fox
Bison
Brown recluse spider.

Now to see what i have for pictures.

05-07-2008, 08:35 PM
I hope a few pictures are alright.Its kinda what we do.

05-07-2008, 08:38 PM

I've got some more also,No cougar yet but i have some bob cat,moose,elk and a fox I just dont want to over do it.

Mikejts
05-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Gravel - the Bear I found on the Overland trail, the Bighorn along side the freeway heading to the mountains. the same with the buffalo.

Joel
05-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Very impressive encounters!

speedy
05-09-2008, 05:37 AM
Great pics, Thanks......Speedy

LauraA
05-11-2008, 02:48 PM
This is the first Mojave Green Rattlesnake we've seen. He buzzed at the Jeep this morning from an embankment on Cherry Creek Road, Gila County, Az
I've heard they were pretty aggressive and this guy was no exception. He wanted us to leave and made no bones about telling us so.
Joel, any chance you could identify the cactus in the last photo? It looked more like a Saguaro than a Barrel to us, but we're confused about the growth on top. :confused:

Joel
05-11-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm leaning to a barrel. Looks like either it was grazed or damaged and grew new heads. Some saguaros will do that, but it looks like it has some sort of fruit still in the center of one of the heads. I'd go for barrel.

Neat rattler! He does mean!

Mikejts
05-11-2008, 05:57 PM
It is a barrel Cactus. Look here to see and hear a prairie rattlesnake. http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com/Prairie%20rattlesnake.htm (http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com/Prairie%20rattlesnake.htm)
Or here for your Pink Rattlesnake. http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com/images/Ghost%20towns%20of%20Arizona/Vulture%20Mine/P1010054.JPG (http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com/images/Ghost%20towns%20of%20Arizona/Vulture%20Mine/P1010054.JPG)

LauraA
05-12-2008, 05:33 AM
Mike, great sound on that Prairie Rattler! When they really get going, they sound quite a bit like Cicadas with that really high pitched buzzing sound. We've seen a "pinkish" Rattler up our way, more beige than the one in your photo but nowhere near as big and fat as yours'.
I'm always a bit sad when we spot our first Rattler of the season, to me, it signals the end of our hiking 'til cooler temperatures. I'm chicken and can't bring myself to do any hiking when I know the snakes are active. :o
Thanks for the info on the cactus Joel & Mike.

speedy
05-12-2008, 06:00 AM
Laura, those pics scare me, and I'm fearless.......Speedy

Mikejts
05-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Mike, great sound on that Prairie Rattler! When they really get going, they sound quite a bit like Cicadas with that really high pitched buzzing sound. We've seen a "pinkish" Rattler up our way, more beige than the one in your photo but nowhere near as big and fat as yours'.
I'm always a bit sad when we spot our first Rattler of the season, to me, it signals the end of our hiking 'til cooler temperatures. I'm chicken and can't bring myself to do any hiking when I know the snakes are active. :o
Thanks for the info on the cactus Joel & Mike.

laura,

I almost stepped on the Pink rattlesnake. I was at the Vulture Mine and stepped on a small step (the one you see in the picture)leading into one of the buildngs. I stuck my head inside, then stepped back down. I happen to then look at the ground and saw this guy. He was curled up along side the step. Actually laying against the step. My foot could not have been more than 3 inches from him. At first I thought it was a fake snake someone had put there because of the color and because I had almost stepped on it and it did not move. I watched it for a little while and it still did not move so i picked up some sand and tossed it that way. That is when it came to life and I realized how close I was to getting bitten.

The prarire rattlesnake was sitting in the middle of a hiking path. I was taking pictures when a runner came down the trail. I waved at her, motioned towards the snake and she kept coming. I literally had to stand in front of her in the middle of trail to get her to stop. She would have ran right over the top of it and it was not happy.

Jeanette
05-12-2008, 05:59 PM
LAURA!!!!!

That spider pic gave me the heebie-jeebies! I keep checking under my desk incase one wants to crawl up my legs! I keep thinking there is one crawling on my neck! I must take my medication now. The pretty colors will chase the spiders away.

LauraA
05-13-2008, 01:59 AM
Hey Jeanette! I was wondering where you were, glad to see you back. Don't worry, we'll take good care of you...those nice young men in their clean white coats are on standbye. :p
This one's just for you, I found it on the web (no pun intended) :D

LauraA
05-13-2008, 02:09 AM
Mike, that's all the more reason for us to halt hiking until the snakes are back in hibernation. People in our area are always telling me, "Oh, don't sweat it, they'll always give you a warning before they bite" Your pink Rattler proves them wrong. :eek:

Jeanette
05-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Hey Jeanette! I was wondering where you were, glad to see you back. Don't worry, we'll take good care of you...those nice young men in their clean white coats are on standbye. :p
This one's just for you, I found it on the web (no pun intended) :D

Hey Laura! :)

Cute pic...but I would still squash it. Just kidding. I would get my husband to kill it.

I am still around. Just like the Montazumas revenge, I'll sneak in when you least expect it. :D That's just how I roll.

Vulture
05-15-2008, 02:52 PM
OK, not as hairy as Joel's subjects...but I didn't like the look in this guys eye.
<http://forums.ghosttowns.com/http://inlinethumb40.webshots.com/40871/2610674240103496202S500x500Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2610674240103496202ydaabs)

Joel
05-15-2008, 04:46 PM
He looks tough. Hope he didn't run up your pants leg!

sbruce
05-15-2008, 05:24 PM

Did you turn left on the southerly fork below (South) of Seven Troughs? Or did you drive through Seven Troughs - it is easy to miss - and take the left North of Seven Troughs that heads due East?

That is what I did in early spring and came across a meadow full of giant toads. I was not sure what they were at first and ran over quite a few of them. Several were stuck in my bumper (dead) and had a few comments about them from patrons at the local Harley bar when I got back to California.

teds280z
05-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Acctully I turned left at Vernon and headed west over the mountains there. The spring I am talking about is Porter Springs. I wish I could find my disk I would post pics. Probably find it in a few years. Gotta start all over hitting the towns I have been to and those I haven't

Tsarevna
06-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Have I ever had an encounter with wildlife while ghost towning? Well no, but sometimes strange things happen. Sometimes my kabobs go missing! :o

http://www.boners.com/content/805986.1.jpg

Vulture
06-18-2008, 03:19 PM
http://www.boners.com/content/805986.1.jpg

I'm relieved to see this. I had heard that the fire breathing Calico had been hunted to extinction. Will they be re-introduced back into the wild again?

<

xplor'npaul
06-25-2008, 08:24 AM
For those of you nervous about hiking in the summer when snakes are out..(I wont mention any names laur....er uh) well, myself included..... a good pair of snake boots AND a pair of snake pants.... not the disco kind,....will keep you safe. check out cabalas master catalog for the boots. and just google "snake proof pants). Hope this helps. oh, a 410 shotgun helps too.

teds280z
06-25-2008, 11:54 AM
I like the idea of the 410. A 44 mag works to but thats at close range just before he bites!!! I like the 410 or even 12 guage. harder to miss.

LauraA
06-25-2008, 01:10 PM
For those of you nervous about hiking in the summer when snakes are out..(I wont mention any names laur....er uh) well, myself included..... a good pair of snake boots AND a pair of snake pants.... not the disco kind,....will keep you safe. check out cabalas master catalog for the boots. and just google "snake proof pants). Hope this helps. oh, a 410 shotgun helps too.

Unless those snake boots & pants come with built in air conditioning, I'm hibernating until the snakes decide to hibernate too. The last time we went out in the Jeep, the buzzards were following us....sorta made me think they knew something we didn't. :o :D

Tsarevna
06-25-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm relieved to see this. I had heard that the fire breathing Calico had been hunted to extinction. Will they be re-introduced back into the wild again?

<

Yeah, just after I finish genetically engineering them to be 3 inches tall. Pocket Calico's are going to be the pets of the future! And I can patent their DNA sequence! I'll be rich! Muhhahahaha!

http://www.pendotech.com/images/mad_scientist.gif

Vulture
06-25-2008, 01:17 PM
I like the idea of the 410. A 44 mag works to but thats at close range just before he bites!!! I like the 410 or even 12 guage. harder to miss.

Seen that new Taurus 45/410 revolver? Pretty interesting gun. Of course it's still for close work...but yow! NRA's gun of the year.

<

xplor'npaul
06-25-2008, 01:19 PM
or a .357 loaded with shot shells. That works too.

brian10x
06-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Seen that new Taurus 45/410 revolver? Pretty interesting gun. Of course it's still for close work...but yow! NRA's gun of the year.

<

I got one the first week they came out. (suprise suprise)

Dandy little revolver. A little underpowered if you choose buckshot (only 3 pellets fit) but it looks to be good snake medicine on the trails.

BTW, any month now, they will be coming out with a 3" chambered version. Oh, boy. Gotta get me a job, and fast.

Vulture
06-25-2008, 02:40 PM
I got one the first week they came out. (suprise suprise)

Dandy little revolver. A little underpowered if you choose buckshot (only 3 pellets fit) but it looks to be good snake medicine on the trails.

BTW, any month now, they will be coming out with a 3" chambered version. Oh, boy. Gotta get me a job, and fast.

Like I said, YOW!!! That's the berries for close field work. Hows the recoil?
<

brian10x
06-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Like I said, YOW!!! That's the berries for close field work. Hows the recoil?
<

About like a .357mag of the same size. Not bad at all.

I tried different loads on abandoned cars and I'd say from the damage inflicted I'd want to be more than 20 feet away, though at that distance it probably won't inflict fatal wounds on 2 legged goblins.

Vulture
06-25-2008, 02:51 PM
About like a .357mag of the same size. Not bad at all.

I tried different loads on abandoned cars and I'd say from the damage inflicted I'd want to be more than 20 feet away, though at that distance it probably won't inflict fatal wounds on 2 legged goblins.

Ohhhh boy....
But still, it just might get their attention.

This might be the best idea in close quarters arms yet. H E L L, I like it, sign me up.

<

Joel
06-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Heck, if that's the ticket, you gotta carry what they carry! :)
http://regulus2.azstarnet.com/blogs/policebeat/9088/purchase-of-machine-guns-grenades-results-in-5-year-prison-term-wphotos

teds280z
06-25-2008, 06:49 PM
I do like the Taurus. on the website a 6" barrel was mentioned. I wonder??????

xplor'npaul
06-26-2008, 12:54 PM
pachmayers on that gun brian?

brian10x
06-26-2008, 01:01 PM
pachmayers on that gun brian?

Stock grips, really comfy. Full description:

The "Taurus Judge® " is so named because of the number of judges who carry it into the courtroom for their protection. Capable of chambering both .410 2-1/2" shotshell and .45 Colt Ammunition, this amazing combo gun is ideal for short distances - where most altercations occur, or longer distances with the .45 Colt ammo. We have finely tuned the rifling to spread the shot pattern at close quarters or to guide the .45 cal. bullet to the target. Fully customized with fixed rear sights, fiber optic front sights and Taurus Ribber Grips®, the "Taurus Judge" is one decision-maker that lays down the law.

xplor'npaul
06-26-2008, 01:17 PM
I think I'd go with a 6",,, a little tighter grouping at distance.

xplor'npaul
06-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Brian, what was the shot pattern/spread at 20 with the 410 shot?

brian10x
06-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Brian, what was the shot pattern/spread at 20 with the 410 shot?

Beats me. I was shooting at an abandoned car while driving, watching for obstacles and illegals, one hand on the wheel, screaming los extranjeros ilegales! Tengo tarjetas verdes! at the top of my lungs, 2 beers away from unconsciousness.

And I probably had my eyes closed as well.

danbo
06-26-2008, 02:53 PM
:D Brain you're killing me! ROFLMAO

I had a mental picture of your post above coupled with the
Naked fat guy four-wheeling magazine? entry. Man, Arizona must be fun!

xplor'npaul
06-26-2008, 03:01 PM
And here I was thinking California was full of nuts. A.Z take your bow!

brian10x
06-26-2008, 03:14 PM
And here I was thinking California was full of nuts. A.Z take your bow!

Don't blame Arizona. I was born in Hawaii.

bad bob
06-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Beats me. I was shooting at an abandoned car while driving, watching for obstacles and illegals, one hand on the wheel, screaming los extranjeros ilegales! Tengo tarjetas verdes! at the top of my lungs, 2 beers away from unconsciousness.

And I probably had my eyes closed as well.

Yep I hafta agree with Danbo, that's hilarious. I swear that material is good enough for any comedy club. Get it together, B10X, practice the routine and take the stage. Your material should be shared with the rest of the world. Or at least the SW. :D

brian10x
06-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Yep I hafta agree with Danbo, that's hilarious. I swear that material is good enough for any comedy club. Get it together, B10X, practice the routine and take the stage. Your material should be shared with the rest of the world. Or at least the SW. :D

I really appreciate the kind words. I really need a job right now, but I'm concerned that you people are the only ones that appreciate me.

Or maybe it wasn't the comment about piercing my goiter that got me thrown out of the livescifitv paranormal forum.

miztik11e1
06-26-2008, 05:55 PM
It's a scary life with lots of criters, coytotes that are bold enough to come up close in my back yard (no fence) to help the chain of life with all the jackrabbits in the area. We have had alot of the ranchers cows get killed on our main road along with the carnage of vehicles and people. Signs don't have to be posted for the dangers to be there. I have a habit of catch and release of any thing dangerous in my neck of the desert. My family has also learned to be careful out here. The summer is the most dangerous time, with the scorpions and rattlers around. Blacklights and catch containers for night time.(scorpions)
The one time a 5ft rattler was under the house he didn't want to be caught we now have his 15 rattles are in our wish dish. We had one in captivity four 4yrs. and put on awareness programs at middle schools. The girls were very responsive to staying safe and the boys just wanted to see (Flat) the rattler strike and consume the mouse. Flats rattles are also in our wish dish. And snakes are very tasty if done right, boney chicken. They are the only ones we have fond memories of out of many that have come our way. Also a well trained horse that doesn't freak out when riding a trail. Having respect for the wildlife, so the generations to come can enjoy their own expierences.:cool:

Gravelrash
06-27-2008, 04:24 AM
OK - it's a tie, for "best dialogue in a GT thread".... I can't split them. The winners are:

The last time we went out in the Jeep, the buzzards were following us....sorta made me think they knew something we didn't. :o :D

....so named because of the number of judges who carry it into the courtroom for their protection.

With realities like these, what's not to like about America!?

teds280z
06-27-2008, 08:23 AM
What happens if the judge gets pi**ed off at you. Shoot you and throw you to the buzzards?

brian10x
06-27-2008, 10:13 AM
What happens if the judge gets pi**ed off at you. Shoot you and throw you to the buzzards?

Now you're getting the picture. Welcome to Arizona!

teds280z
06-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Now you're getting the picture. Welcome to Arizona!

Gotta get back someday. Here the aliens can do anything and the judge just sends them back or the gang comes looking:mad:

brian10x
06-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Gotta get back someday. Here the aliens can do anything and the judge just sends them back or the gang comes looking:mad:

Can't speak for the judges here one way or the other, but I'm proud to say we have Sheriff Joe Arpaio working for us. Sheriff Joe believes prison should be punishment. Outside tents, pink uniforms, .40 cent meals, no porno, coffee, weight lifting, and more.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k137/brian10x/joe2.jpg

Gravelrash
06-28-2008, 03:00 AM
Sheriff Joe's fame is widespread and deserved. I know a few Aussies who know of him and admire his style. How can you have PC cops? Talk about oxymoronic.

speedy
06-29-2008, 05:32 AM
Sheriff Joe is a hero.............Speedy

teds280z
07-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Don't know when I can afford it. Found one in a small sporting goods store and it does feel good to handle

DirtyDog
07-10-2008, 07:32 AM
Or underwear?

In 1993, I was talking to a hermit near the Middle Fork of the Feather River in California. He was telling me about the Calif King Snake,being a good snake, friendly and kept by many as a pet. His colors are similar to a coral snake which is deadly poisonous. I said, "Like that one?" and pointed at his feet. A 3 foot king snake had found his shade and decided to take a nap. He bent over and picked it up. He then proceeded to sell it to 2 guys who were panning gold, for $20. They took it back home to Reno and sold it for $100. Back at my camp a black bear went into my screen house-tent where I cook/eat and played with my cube-shaped 5 gal water container. He rolled it off like a ball and I never did find it! He came in the front (& only) door and ripped out a nice, big back door! He also stole my Quaker oats. All my food was locked inside my truck, although I had a 12x12 tent and under my pillow had a sack full of chocolate covered candy which he didn't touch!. Latter that night my dog started barking. I shined my mag light into the eyes of a gigantic bull elk about 50 feet away. Around 4 AM I had to do my duty and within 2 seconds of dropping my drawers I was covered with mosquitoes. And when I got home I picked 6 ticks off me and my dog. Aint it fun?

GaryB
07-10-2008, 08:21 AM
We have king snakes here too. Didn't know they were popular as pets though. I think I found a way for Ted to make money for his new toy.....

teds280z
07-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Or I could catch Diamondbacks take the tails off and sell to unsuspecting tourists:rolleyes:

teds280z
07-10-2008, 10:35 AM
No hand written receipts or wittnesses. They come in heavy duty burlap bags with a fancy ribbon and instructions on how to play with 'em.:cool:

Tommyknocker
07-10-2008, 02:34 PM
On a recent trip through Wyoming & Montana, ALMOST clobbered a Pronghorn Antelope at 75 mph! I slowed down to a comfortable 65mph after that! Great ghost town above Butte called "Comet". Well worth the trip! Pretty far for me from Vail, Co. but will do it again!

Tsarevna
09-10-2008, 06:32 PM
I'll admit I'm a possum lover. I check possum roadkill carcasses in spring/summer because, as a biology student, I'm aware that they are North America's only marsupial, meaning they carry offspring around in their pouches like kangaroos.

One hot day I drove past a large possum carcass in the ghost town/defunct town, whatever you want to call it, of Which Hazel, Oregon.

(It used to be a horse breeding/horse racing country RR stop where Portlanders would bet on horses before Portland got a race track in 1942.)

Now it's covered in urban sprawl from Hillsboro, so it's inhabited.

I found a baby possum clinging to it's dead mother's back on the roadside at Witch Hazel. It was 98 degrees and mother looked to have been dead for at least 8 hours. I tried to rescue the thing anyway, the tiny baby was sooooo cute!

Long story short, she had been in the sun too long and gotten brain damage from the heat. She was blind and refused milk, accepting only water/electrolyte solution.
I don't know what would have happened had I gotten there sooner...

If you see a possum carcass on the road in spring/summer, check the body! It's the worst form of cruelty to just let babies dehydrate to death on the side of the road.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa51/Tsarevna303/DSCF1611.jpg

Tommyknocker
09-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Thank you for your kindness to this animal! Your story touched my heart. It is stories like these that prompted me to join the ASPCA and donate each month. Check out their website...

blackjack
09-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Not so long ago while out scouring through an old farm I got into a starring contest with a rather large rat, guess who backed down (hint, it wasnt the rat). BTW great story about the possum.

LauraA
09-13-2008, 03:12 AM
Tsarevna, I worked for a veterinarian for many years. We'd get quite a few baby possums brought in to us that people found along the roadside. You might try keeping some "Esbilac" puppy formula and a "Nip-Pet" bottle to feed them with. Most baby critters can't tolerate cow's milk but they seem to do well on the Esbilac formula. It also works well with other baby critters. If they're very young with their eyes still closed, it's almost impossible to save them. :( Also, they can't pee or poo by themselves at an early age, the mother helps them eliminate waste by licking, but since I assume you don't want to go that far, you can use a damp piece of cotton to simulate mom's attention to duty. :D

Tsarevna
09-15-2008, 12:24 AM
Tsarevna, I worked for a veterinarian for many years. We'd get quite a few baby possums brought in to us that people found along the roadside. You might try keeping some "Esbilac" puppy formula and a "Nip-Pet" bottle to feed them with. Most baby critters can't tolerate cow's milk but they seem to do well on the Esbilac formula. It also works well with other baby critters. If they're very young with their eyes still closed, it's almost impossible to save them. :( Also, they can't pee or poo by themselves at an early age, the mother helps them eliminate waste by licking, but since I assume you don't want to go that far, you can use a damp piece of cotton to simulate mom's attention to duty. :D

Hi Laura, yeah I did everything you mentioned, and I'm glad you are explaining this to others, I didn't think of that.

I went straight to Petco after doing a little internet research with the Possum Society. I even got it veterinary help, and it was the vet who declared that it was blind, but it may have just been born that way. Her eyes were open, but apparently un-seeing.

Two siblings survived, males, as they could see to walk to a nearby tree and hide in the niche of it's trunk, in the shade. (A friend of mine actually rescued the males, who hid from me but were crying out with a sneezing sound when she stopped by later, that's how she found them.)

I suppose my blind one was still clinging to the mother's carcass in the hot sun because she couldn't see to go anywhere else. :(

I found the little possum to be a very likeable critter, they have delicate nails, not claws like a cat that would scratch you. She "sneezed" in a cute fashion when she wanted to drink (none of that annoying constant mewing or whining from cats and dogs) and she would curl up in the crook of my arm and sleep there while I watched tv.

And, she was so soft! Like holding a rex rabbit. It's too bad they are illegal pets in Oregon, not native even to the wild. If Fish & Game finds out, they would seize and destroy a possum pet. :(

danbo
09-18-2008, 01:13 PM
:D

http://bp3.blogger.com/_oPf4sVYkSYE/R_kv9fPvV6I/AAAAAAAAAU0/6vG_lURuKuE/s400/possum+found.jpg

bunk
09-20-2008, 06:53 AM
Hawk and vulture, back yard in Riverside,AZ.
Bunk

Mikejts
09-20-2008, 07:24 AM
Go here to read about my latest bear encounter.
http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com/bear_facts_alaska.htm

Joel
09-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Haha! You must have been in a hurry to get back and change after that. Can't out run 'em and can't out climb 'em either!

MikeM
10-06-2009, 03:45 PM
I’ve seen bear and big horn sheep on the road to Harts Pass, just northwest of Winthrop, WA. There is a spot near the road with a natural mineral lick that seems to attract them. The Harts Pass area is really interesting, the gold mining town of Barron is nearby, and at the top of Harts Pass is the location of a WWII/Korean War era early warning radar installation. All that remains are the concrete foundations and an information plaque. Also Harts Pass is the highest point that can be reach by a motor vehicle in the state of Washington (legally anyway).
I was very surprised to see prong horn antelope southeast of Bend, OR. Until then I thought their range was limited to areas around Colorado and Wyoming. I had no idea there were any left this far west.
I saw a group of wild turkeys near Republic, WA. This is another animal that I had no idea existed here until I saw it with my own eyes. I now understand they were introduced to Washington in the 1980’s
And while I didn’t see any, I did see yellow signs in a remote area of north Idaho warning that the area may be inhabited by grizzly bear. The fact that the State Dept. of Wildlife felt it was necessary to post those signs in the middle of nowhere was enough to prevent me from wandering too far from my Jeep.
Other than those listed above I’ve seen lots of ordinary critters like deer, elk, coyotes, raccoons, squirrels, etc. I even caught a wild rosy boa east of San Diego while on a dirt bike trip. Somewhere I have a photo of me pretending to slip it into my buddy’s tent (he was terrified of snakes). After the photo I turned it loose away from our camping area.

Vaquero
10-13-2009, 12:11 PM
while camping out at convict lake we saw several deer afew weeks ago. the interesting encounter was with a moth as we were about to leave to Bodie.

felt something land in my ear and then crawl up in it. moth got wedged in there and was still alive flapping its ears causing a very uncomfortable feeling to say the least.

had to go go mammoth emergency where it took over an hour to get the moth out. most painful (even with laughing gas) experience i have ever had and first time ever to an emergency room. guess the ear can al is a very sensitive area.

doctor was having a hard time removing the moth and decided to give it one more shot before he was was going to have to send me to a specialist. this is what he removed. had to take a pic of it with my phone.

guess moths are known for flying in ears. been camping for 18+ years and never had anything like this ever happen to me before.

Mikejts
10-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Ouch on the moth,

I have had bees fly inside a motorcycle helmet, can't imagine a moth in the ear.

http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com/index.htm