PDA

View Full Version : What You understand

Tyroler
11-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Aurora
Copy:
".....Aurora became the county seat. At the same time, water was filling the mines faster than they could pump it out, and thus spelled the end of the town. Today there is only rubble left, especially due........"

Now,I read out ther Sentence that they Left as more Water broke into the Mine as they could pump out.
Nowhere is said that they left as no Profit was in sight.
In that Case a Technical Problem,now solved.
:rolleyes: Theoretically,whit the Pumps we have today,were it possible to run the Mine again.
Water were enough around too.
Just the Question how the Mine is intact,and,who does the Work?
Anything wrong?

High Desert Drifter
12-03-2007, 11:44 AM
At the time Aurora only had a couple of producing mines, most of the others were considered "played out". flooding was an issue the last two years that the mines were being worked. The price of ore was low and the ore being produced was low grade so it took a lot more effort to extract and seperate. The towns people were already leaving in great numbers for better conditions, work and pay at other locations where the mines were producing higher grade and much more ore, such as Bodie. Where there were producing mines, there was money to be made, if not directly from the mines, then from those who worked them.

People trickled out of Aurora over a period of years, the die hards hoping for a period of rebirth. there were later organized mining attempts, all failed.

Flatiron
12-04-2007, 04:31 AM
The townsite is deserted nowadays, (and sadly, all the brick from the buildings) , but Metallic Ventures has a pretty good size operation going on at this time with some extensive mining in process. Maybe, in a few years, it'll gobble up Mt Hicks:eek: . It doesn't really take away from the experience of being at Aurora, though.

bad bob
02-24-2008, 01:15 PM
What I don't understand is what happened to Drifter?

C'mon Frank, don't make me send out an APB on yer booty. We got places to explore, and you got new slurpees to concoct. BTW that last one with seaweed and fish emulsion was just awful. Finally finished the last one (24th), last night, and all the danged cats in the area been after me since the first one.

I had to drink the "hot dog and kibbles" one this morning, so they'd stop bothering me. :D

High Desert Drifter
02-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Oh im still abouts BB. Works been keepin me busy mostly. the rain has been keepin me indoors... I have layed off them slurpees pretty much. got a couple new books to read by the fire place "Nevada lost mines and buried treasures" and Stan Paher's "Death Valley Ghost Towns". Rekon they will keep a fella occupied a spell.

bad bob
02-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Oh im still abouts BB. Works been keepin me busy mostly. the rain has been keepin me indoors... I have layed off them slurpees pretty much. got a couple new books to read by the fire place "Nevada lost mines and buried treasures" and Stan Paher's "Death Valley Ghost Towns". Rekon they will keep a fella occupied a spell.

OK. Nothing wrong with all that. Jes poke out a short msg on the keypad every new moon or so! And didja mean you wanted to relinquish the slurpee reins? If so, I'm thinkin' Speedy or Gravelrash might like that task? And I think Gravel even has some experience.

Then when yer done readin', a nice book report'd be nice. Course we can't score ya any credits other than "high 5's." :p

Gravelrash
02-25-2008, 12:42 AM
No, no, Bob. I am experienced with fish sauce and other strange concoctions, but the Slurpee is a mystery.
I am, of course, willing to learn!

LauraA
02-25-2008, 05:11 AM

Okay Drifter, We'll settle for a book report when you've finished reading...at least until you can hit the trail again and then fill us in on all the details. :D

speedy
02-25-2008, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the recommendation, BB. I must, however defer this honor to another. You might ask OJ, I am a consumer with limited creative skills........Speedy