PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for an ATV

caver
11-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Not long ago I didn't think I needed an ATV. I used my Suzuki DR650 motorcycle to access most out of the way mining camps and such. I own some property now and an ATV would come in handy. The other justification in my head is to take it out west on vacation. Most of the time the bike works better for me but there have been a few times and ATV would have been the better choice. Schofield Pass in Colorado comes to mind. What are some of you GTers using?

Flatiron
11-11-2007, 03:32 AM
Caver..............I/We have a Jeep Rubicon that we added a few after market goodies to ( lift, larger tires, warn winch & bumpers, etc.) and it will take us just about anywhere we choose to go. Sometimes, though, I prefer to take our Honda Rincon ATV, as I can travel faster with the ATV, (if I'm going someplace I've been before and don't need to explore the area) , but it usually depends on who we're going with. Sometimes we'll be with a group of Jeeps, and other times a group of quaders. A lot of folks nowadays seem to be buying Yamaha Rhinos, Polaris Rangers, or Kawasaki Mules because of their size and ability to carry up to 4 people and goodies. They're a little spendy though, as you can end up putting $15,000, or more, into one after customizing it. On the other hand, I've seen quite a few Suzuki Samurais, old Toyota FJ Landcruisers,(not the yuppy FJ cruiser) older Chevy Blazers as well as the original Ford Broncos that get around the desert and mountains just fine. I think it's just a matter of taste and how thick your wallet is.The main objective is to be able to get to where you want to go, without having a major mechanical malfunction while miles away from junk yards or auto parts stores. That can sure take the wind out of your sails, ya know..........:D

Gravelrash
11-11-2007, 11:08 AM
What's a ball-park figure for a used ATV, no frills, no gizmos?
Could you pick up something basic but useful for $1,500?

High Desert Drifter
11-11-2007, 01:09 PM
all in my group ride Yamaha Grizzlys and Rhino's. 2004-2005 so far not one problem or complaint. Now Yamaha has come out with a fuel injected grizzly with power steering! that means coming back to camp w/o sore arms from roughing over rocks.

average prices for quads new is about $5k for a lower end Honda to about $11k for a newer big bore machine of 700cc or more.

Used $3k to $8K

If your thinking of purchasing I would go on an outing with a group that rides first. quads are not for everyone. many people turn them in or sell them after owning them a short period of time.

I am a die hard off roading fool! and its not uncommon for me to go out in to the desert or mountains for hours and hours on my quad and not return till well after dark. In my earlier years I was in to jeeps and blazers, but I found that I could travel faster over poor terrain on a quad. But, you don't get to bring your cooler or other comforts on a quad so weigh your decission carefully.

check out my buddies at intrepidexplorers.org

brian10x
11-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Not long ago I didn't think I needed an ATV. I used my Suzuki DR650 motorcycle to access most out of the way mining camps and such. I own some property now and an ATV would come in handy. The other justification in my head is to take it out west on vacation. Most of the time the bike works better for me but there have been a few times and ATV would have been the better choice. Schofield Pass in Colorado comes to mind. What are some of you GTers using?

Here's the thread I posted after buying an ATV for ghost town exploring:
http://forums.ghosttowns.com/showthread.php?t=14556&highlight=brian10x

I've had a lot of vehicles-

2 full sized Ram pick ups:
Pro=roomy, powerful
Con= Way too big, like a bull in a china shop.

Jeep Wrangler:
pro=Nearly ideal off road in every sense.
con= Noisy and somewhat unpleasant to drive ON the road.

Suzuki Samurai:
pro=maybe the perfect off road vehicle. Nimble as a mountain goat and rugged as an old shovel.
con=maybe the worst ON road vehicle I have ever driven. Everything that makes it so good off road turns into a disaster on the highway.

ATV=read my post!

Jeep Cherokee:
pro=maybe the best of all worlds. Small enough to be manuverable, large enough to carry all your gear, and yes, you can sleep in it.
con=I haven't come up with any yet.

One man's opinion. Others may disagree, possibly vehemently.

High Desert Drifter
11-11-2007, 01:20 PM
What's a ball-park figure for a used ATV, no frills, no gizmos?
Could you pick up something basic but useful for $1,500?

A used no frills bone dry 2-5yr old Honda with 4x4 and no winch will cost you about 3k. I would not consider buying a quad for anything less unless you have a lot of time and money for repairs. I personally do not want to have to deal with repairs, especially while riding 70 miles from camp in the middle of the Nevada desert. anything older than 5 to 6yrs is going to be uncomfortable to ride. they did not have the technology back then to provide a long travel suspension which means a softer ride. they were very stiff and uncomfortable and will beat you up, which means less ride and more sore!

good luck on your quest. If you need any advice before you purchase feel free to contact me.

Tyroler
11-11-2007, 01:24 PM
try KTM

http://www.ktmusa.com/KTM-Ready-to-Race.1.20.html

High Desert Drifter
11-11-2007, 01:34 PM
try KTM

http://www.ktmusa.com/KTM-Ready-to-Race.1.20.html

Just my opinion, but i'm not sure I would purchase an off brand atv the first year they were approved to sell in the U.S. If price is the big factor, I would go with a lower cost Honda Rubicon or Rincon.

Gravelrash
11-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Used $3k to $8K

If your thinking of purchasing I would go on an outing with a group that rides first. quads are not for everyone. many people turn them in or sell them after owning them a short period of time.

Drifter - thanks for that info on prices. Good to have an approximate idea before I land.

I'm very familiar with ATV's so I don't have any fears about them. That said, all my experience was before amputation of my gear-changing leg, so I have a lot of adapting to do!! I'm aware now that the US market has automatics, so I'm gonna be ok. Didn't have any such beast here in Oz, when I was bush-bashing.
I won't be doing anything like you do, I imagine. I see the ATV as my hiking legs. There's no way I can get in to some of the places I want to go see, using either a wheelchair or my crutches, so an ATV is essential for me to enjoy some ghost towns and mountain passes.

I'll drive my truck - purchased from Brian Souza Autos (one owner, deceased "immigrant") - into the vicinity and then crank up the ATV.
It's an expense I can not do without, I reckon. As it's a once-in-a-lifetime trip, I'm gonna do it right! No regrets when I get home about places I missed because of my legless alignment to the planet!

I'll check out the website later.

Flatiron
11-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Gravelrash.........Man, I like your attitude!:D :D

Goat
11-11-2007, 06:19 PM
If we were recommending motorcycles, KTM would be at the top of my list, too. Particularly the one in my avatar.:D

Gravelrash
11-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Here's the thread I posted after buying an ATV for ghost town exploring:
http://forums.ghosttowns.com/showthread.php?t=14556&highlight=brian10x

That, my old china, was quite a ride! I'm glad it was you and not me. It's one of my biggest concerns, the base over apex boogie. I don't fancy doing the "30-point-shuffle-by-the-side-of-the-ATV". Never could dance too good and that would be verging on the ridiculous.

When it comes to a buying a decent wagon,I always say..... "Shop at Souzas!"

Gravelrash
11-11-2007, 08:31 PM

Mr Flat - see how you feel after I've had 6 beers and start talking about islam! LOL:o :rolleyes:

Appreciated, mate. I've taken a "signature" from Elfego Baca for my posts, because I think he must have been a major dude but if I'd got there first, I'd have had the Goats,
"Refuse the blindfold, accept the cigarette, and have a laugh with the firing squad."
Like everything else in this life, disability is a state of mind. If I get to the States, I won't mind!
(Sorry about that....crappy joke!)

bad bob
11-11-2007, 09:25 PM

Flatiron, as someone who has been "chatting" regularly with this Aussie, I can tell ya it goes way beyond attitude. (IMO) Pete is all around top-drawer, with or without a handicap.

Flatiron
11-12-2007, 04:07 AM
bad bob...............I suspect you're absolutely correct when you say Pete is a "top drawer kinda guy". I think if I lost a leg, I'd be ****** off at the world for awhile, and tend to be a little tough to get along with. I'm not sure I'd feel sorry for myself, just upset that I may not be able to do some of the things that I've been doing all my life. Hopefully I'll never find out how I'd react, but I do admire somebody who tackles adversity and carrys on with life. I'm sure that you, myself, OJ, and others knew a few men back in the 60's that were missing limbs, and some of them that I knew never overcame the prospect of having to live the rest of their life like that. Some others I know, or have known ,were able to overcome it and have attitudes similar to Pete's. Carry on............

Gravelrash
11-12-2007, 04:36 AM
Look - I'll just return the compliment. The people here are my kind of people and very generous with their time and knowledge. It's a great community to have been invited into and I am very appreciative of all I've been given.
An Aussie mate of mine, who lives in Oklahoma, once told me that America has the best of the best and the worst of the worst. I've met some of your best here.
It will be my absolute pleasure to give some back, somehow.

LauraA
11-12-2007, 05:02 AM
I want a side by side ATV soooo bad, but it's not in the budget.:(
I tried passing the hat here on the forum, but all I got was an empty Slurpee cup from Drifter, a well-used paint brush from bad bob, some roo poo from Gravelrash, some fool's gold from Kelly, a nice smile from Goat and a bag of unidentified icky stuff from Brian.......
C'mon folks, I can't buy this with those meager offerings.

Yamaha Rhino 660

caver
11-12-2007, 06:58 AM
I had a Yamaha Blaster back in the late 80's and have even ridden the early three wheelers. I may stop on the way to the farm and look at a Yamaha Grizzly.

I've seen the Intrepid forum but ya have to join just to view the archives and I couldn't be bothered to join. :D

We have a couple of those Kawasaki Mules at work ,,,,I was thoroughly unimpressed by those. Seems like many farmers around here are switching to them.

azpete
11-12-2007, 03:06 PM
My 2 centavos.....
I have a Jeep wrangler... winch and other goodies. I also have a Polaris X2 (two person) ATV.
They both have their pros and cons. If yer looking for a good ATV, I have to recomment the Polaris as it is fully automatic, switchable 2wheel/4wheel dirve and has a real good engine breaking system. BUT, the best feature is the smooth ride... fully independent suspension-- really smooths out the bumps.
Anyway.... that's my story.
Many times, I tow the quad with my jeep and when I can't go any further, I'll unload the quad and go for it.....
-- Pete

azpete
11-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Oh... I forgot to mention that the Polaris (and perhaps other ATVs) also has hand breaking along with foot breaking. Either control operates all 4 breaks so you won't be 'flying' over the handlebars if you use the hand break. The points is, you don't need any use of either feet to operate-- it's all in the hands.. (Hmmm... sounds kinda kinky)

ghcoe
11-12-2007, 03:49 PM
I am using a china quad. Cost me $1605.00 shipped to my door. So far I have had no problems with the unit at all. I love it and for the price cant beat it. Came with a one year "parts only" warranty.
http://forums.atvconnection.com/i/GalleryImages/91729/Mashin%20Titan%20atv%20002%20small.JPG

http://forums.atvconnection.com/i/GalleryImages/91729/Mashin%20Titan%20atv%20001%20small.JPG

Gravelrash
11-12-2007, 03:56 PM
I am using a china quad. Cost me $1605.00 shipped to my door. So far I have had no problems with the unit at all. I love it and for the price cant beat it. Came with a one year "parts only" warranty.

Oh, yeah.....aaaaand, the winner is.....!
You're not wrong, George. The price is right, and for what I will need, I do believe we have arrived at a solution. Many thanks for that info. Fantastic.
By the way, how long did assembly take? Special tools required?
Is there a second hand market in these beasties?

(Yep, I told ya'll is was cheap!) :rolleyes:

ghcoe
11-12-2007, 04:06 PM
All you have to do is put the front tires on and the handle bars. No special tools needed. You will want to change all the oils before you use it. The oils they use is for shipping only from what I have read. Also you will want to clean the brake surfaces, They are coated with a anti rust coating.

GaryB
11-12-2007, 06:04 PM
I know a few folks that have the China quads. They are cheap because when they break, you toss them and buy another. Parts availability and someone to fix them are major issues, at least around here. My friends bought theirs for their kids who out grew them as fast as they broke, so the price/dependability issue was in tune. Once the kids got old enough, they bought a Yamaha/Honda/Polaris/etc.

Gravel- In all honesty, I'd look into a name brand like Drifter mentioned. The nice thing is they carry a high resale value so when you leave, you can sell it and get back some money.

I'm waiting till I can get out of here to buy a 4x ATV. I have no where to keep it right now, plus with the land closures around here, I wouldn't be able to ride it anywhere within 30 minutes. Even then, the terrain is more sport bike related.

I have 2 competant 4X4's and still find the need for an ATV sometimes. Especially when it comes to a washed out canyon.

Goat
11-12-2007, 06:54 PM
I'm still mulling over the idea of getting a Rokon 2x2, but the new KTM's are out and...the wife needs a new bike...and I gotta lift and wheel/tire the XJ, and....

Gravelrash
11-13-2007, 01:37 AM
Hmmmmmmm! :confused:

This mornings "yee-haaaa!" was an exhultant shout between the shower and going down to work. George's news set up my day with a smile, but......forgot the all important question, mate.... is it automatic? I am guessing it would be.

Gary - I hear you on re-sale value. I think I have a bit of "a saver" on that though.

I've done a bit of rough calculating on what it would cost me to rent a truck and an ATV. I reckon I can't do it without both, so I have no real option. We are talking many, many thousands of dollars, (many!!) so I figure with even a 65-75% re-sale price on a 3 month old vehicle, I'll be streets ahead.
Could be a bargain for a fellow ghost-towner?

On the other hand, I am all too familiar with Chinese ...ahem...."quality"! There's a mythical beast if ever there was one!:rolleyes:

If I was to become an American, however, I'd never consider it. The Japs made absolute crap in the 60's but these days, well.....there's Japanese vehicles and daylight second, IMHO!
I used to ride British bikes. My last one was a '69 Bonneville. I should have bought shares in an oil well! Then along came Mr Honda and I didn't stop smiling for 3 decades!

Now to apply for a green card!

ghcoe
11-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Gravelrash,
Well I kind of figured that this would be the response that I would receive. Like anything else you have to do your research on what you buy. I for one do not have a lot of cash to blow so I did a lot of research on this units. True, the early ones were not the best and gave them a bad reputation. True there are still some not so good ones out there now. True there are some that give you a lot of bang for your buck. Most are sold online and do not have dealer support, so you are on your own. I have good mechanical knowlege so I do not mind a little tinkering. To be honest the only thing that I have done to this unit is change oil and adjust the brakes. Would I do it again? Yes! In fact I am buying my two kids and wife a some china quads. I will have 4 quads for the price of one Jap quad. Something interesting I found out while doing my research was that 80-90 percent of the parts on brand name quads are made in China. Most of the small name brand (150cc and under) name brand quads are 100 percent made in China. Granted they have a better dealer network to help you out if you have problems. I can't see spending 3 to 4 times as much for something I might take back to the dealer once or twice. You will still have to pay for the service after the warranty is over anyway. I know mechanics so it works for me. May not work for someone else. I am pleased with this unit. It was more than I expected and even came with turn signals, horn and rearview mirrors stock. I can license this unit today and use it on the road. Go see how many name brands offer that. Usually it is a additional cost option.

I will include this link that was very usefull in my decision. It has a lot of useful information in it. http://users.wildblue.net/thearbees/nado/PD.htm
http://www.motorx1.web.cedant.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/tornado200_400.jpg

My unit is not a automatic but you can get a smaller displacement unit with a auto. I have read a lot of good reports on these units as well. The one listed below is a 150cc with automatic and reverse. Oh, and to the door price $1259.00
http://www.bestpriceatvs.com/product.php?productid=16475&cat=248&page=1

http://www.bestpriceatvs.com/files/thumbs/t_16475_04.jpg
Things to look for in a good china quad is:
1. Look for a dealer that has been in buisness for a while.
2. Check the BBB website for information on the company and past experiances.
3.Look for units with long warranties. Usually 12 months or longer. I would stay away from the 90 day or 6 month warranties.

The motor in my quad is ISO certified. Which means that it meets the same metallurgy and assembly requirements that US and Europe require.

Well this truned out to be long winded reply. I am not saying that these units are the greatest. I am saying look at them closely before condemning them.

Any way hope this helps you out some. Good luck.

Gravelrash
11-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Gravelrash,

Any way hope this helps you out some. Good luck.

Mate, not long-winded at all. I'm very grateful for the effort you've put in for me. I owe you a few beers!
As for the "argument" you put forward.... you've won me.
Thanks for the links. I will be giving them a thorough going over later on.
I hope you and the family have a ball on the new toys!!
Cheers!

High Desert Drifter
11-13-2007, 11:29 PM
I'm not responding to cause an argument, compare who has more experience with quads, or mechanical abilities. But, if you were to make contact with organizations or groups that explore open land on quads (not ride them at the local atv parks) and took a cencus, you would find that at least 95% of them would say, **** no! In the quad industry, you pay for what you get... And when I am riding 60 to 100 miles from my camp I want and depend on reliability.

www.nevadaatv.com
www.intrepidexplorers.org

I have ridden three off brand China quads and found that the performance, including wheel travel, manuverability, engine response, etc... all lacked. IMO China quads will eventually come around, and in a few years will be a major competitor with Jap quads. but until then, I will not risk my safety, comfort or money on one. some of you might look at the post by Brian who used an older quad with a straight axle rear to climb an off camber trail. (straight axles are common on most of the China quads). Needless to say, his trip came to an abrupt end.

From what I have read, the professionals report; the Kymco brand China quads are the best of all the China Quads currently on the american market, and will be the first to compete with the major brands.

Gravelrash... I'm sorry to have had said all this; but on a good note, for your application - mobility purposes, you probably cant go wrong. but when you start traveling extra long distances and hitting the crazy trails, you might consider upgrading.

ghcoe
11-14-2007, 07:07 AM
Well, there is the other side of the story...

danbo
11-15-2007, 07:26 AM
Just a note:
Yesterday I talked to the BLM about Jeep and quad trails. ( the Boise-state office )
They told me that they are beginning to enforce a wheelbase / size
regulation on quads, on quad trails. Meaning that if you drive a
Jeep/side by side/or "large" quad you will be ticketed. I called BS
and they showed me a brand new pamplet definning what a "legal"
quad bike is, based on weight, wheel base and saddle.

Might be something to check into before you make your purchase.

GaryB
11-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Great :rolleyes:

High Desert Drifter
11-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Just a note:
Yesterday I talked to the BLM about Jeep and quad trails. ( the Boise-state office )
They told me that they are beginning to enforce a wheelbase / size
regulation on quads, on quad trails. Meaning that if you drive a
Jeep/side by side/or "large" quad you will be ticketed. I called BS
and they showed me a brand new pamplet definning what a "legal"
quad bike is, based on weight, wheel base and saddle.

Might be something to check into before you make your purchase.

Sounds like they are after the Rhino's, Mules and such...

Gravelrash
11-16-2007, 01:24 AM
Gawd, the idea of this trip is to escape red tape and bureaucrats!!
Not a pleasing development, is it.

LauraA
11-16-2007, 04:57 AM
Not a pleasing development, is it.

In our area of Arizona, the Tonto National Forest, most quad trails are just places for quads to go and flex their muscles and play in the dirt, they're not really trails that'll take you to the kinds of places you want to go. On the forest roads, you'll be able to take your quad anywhere a Jeep can go and beyond because many times the terrain and tip factor isn't suitable for a regular four wheel drive vehicle. Fortunately, the BLM doesn't have a foothold in this area.
The problem we're seeing is with some of the weekend yahoos taking their quads off the regular trails and creating their own. This type of irresponsible behavior not only gives fodder to the greenies who want to close the roads to all motorized vehicles, but it makes it tough to follow the proper, correct route.

danbo
11-16-2007, 07:25 AM

Funny you should say that! I was teasing one of the BLM head honchos.
I asked him if he found it ironic that we all live together in tight little sub-divisions,
getting totally sick of our neighbors and running to the hills to get away from them.
Then getting forced into tight little camp grounds next to the folks we were avoiding
while rangers patrol and shake us down over the latest government regulations!

Actually, I know all of our local rangers personally and they are always welcome at my camp.

I usually "primitive camp" just to stay away from the jerks blasting "rap crap" from lowered
multi primered civics at the state camp ground. I have no problem confronting idiots and putting
them on "front street". But when I'm on my weekend I like to fade away into the peace and quiet and listen to the crickets and coyotes yipping while poking embers and watching the stars rise on the horizon.

Gravelrash
11-16-2007, 10:59 AM
But when I'm on my weekend I like to fade away into the peace and quiet and listen to the crickets and coyotes yipping while poking embers and watching the stars rise on the horizon.

Why people seem to need to pack the entire "modern home" into a campsite is one of lifes mysteries to me. Camping in "Gubbmint reserves" next to the family from **** who only talk at maximum decibel levels, can't handle their booze, gave birth to hellions for kids, tv and stereos blaring flat out.... not quite what I am after.
(What sort of twerp needs tv in the bush???)
I always scope out a second potential site that I can "bolt" to, just in case the neighbors become unbearable.
My dog is invaluable when setting up. The only danger she actually represents to humans is that she might lick them to death, but she has a very deep bark and she's huge. Until I give her the command, "Who's that?", she will bark at anyone who comes near. "Who's that" means its a friend. Then the licking begins!!
If I ask "What, what?" she growls, long and deep.
Usually does the trick. The beauty of Australia, though, is that it's nearly the same size as America but there's only 20 million people. It isn't hard to get lost here!
But I basically never go camping on Public Holidays. Who needs the stress? Motels are designed for public holidays.

TNTPERFORMANCE
12-04-2007, 09:16 AM
all in my group ride Yamaha Grizzlys and Rhino's. 2004-2005 so far not one problem or complaint. Now Yamaha has come out with a fuel injected grizzly with power steering! that means coming back to camp w/o sore arms from roughing over rocks.

average prices for quads new is about $5k for a lower end Honda to about $11k for a newer big bore machine of 700cc or more.

Used $3k to $8K

I am a die hard off roading fool! and its not uncommon for me to go out in to the desert or mountains for hours and hours on my quad and not return till well after dark. In my earlier years I was in to jeeps and blazers, but I found that I could travel faster over poor terrain on a quad. But, you don't get to bring your cooler or other comforts on a quad so weigh your decission carefully.

check out my buddies at intrepidexplorers.org
I too am an off road fool. I can get there faster,carry tools,,jacks,food and a cooler!:D It is however a little more expensive than some offroad toys.
I do miss my dirt bike at times though.:(

High Desert Drifter
12-04-2007, 12:38 PM
I have been seriously thinking about buying one of those! its a toss up between a Jeep XJ.

modette
12-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Not one single picture showed how bad the trail was.....and the U-turn, how much more room do you need. I just had to turn my Focus around because the road got to bad with less room, sometimes you do a 50 point turn *shrug*

I think the case was not the ATV not being able to go to the distenation but the riders ability. It sounds like you have NO experience but yet tried to go to some hard place instead of starting small. Plus I'm sure that big cooler had no say in how the ATV was all top heavy!!!!!!!

I grew up with dirt bikes, 3-wheelers, street bikes, and ATV's. I have gone to Bishop (Bristle Cone) forest and rented ATV's. Best trip ever...

Like with anything, you just don't jump in a car and then are a PRO at driving, same with ATV's...it takes many years to figure out / learn the skills to take on harder trails.

Also it does not help you have a solid rear axle...I think in your area (assuming most of the area is rocky) you should of got an ATV with independent suspension. It does take the fun away from drifting in 2wd mode around corners but makes life easier on rocky terrain...especially for a newbie.

I just looked at ATV's as my friend and I are considering some in the spring time or winter if we see a great deal.

Sorry I don't recall the model names but these are all the Utility type.

Suzuki 450: Independant suspension, Fuel Injected, Digital Gage...$6,500

Suzuki 750: Independant suspension, Fuel Injected, Digital Gage...$7,800

Kawasaki Brute Force 650: Solid Rear Axle, Digital Gage, Carbuerated (The ATV my parents have I love it)....$6,500

Kawasaki Brute Force 750: Independant Rear Suspension, Carbuerated, Digital Gage...$7,800

Polaris 800: Independant Rear Suspension, Fuel Injected, Digital Gage...$8,000

Dealer was pretty honest, said that a 450cc is all we needed, anything more would just mean we had to decide how fast we wanted to go. Also to think about is the gas milage...450cc your obviously using less gas to go the same distance.

I'm still partial to the Kawasaki Brute Force 650, because I know the machine, and know I can handle it.

I'm sorry to stress this again but IT IS THE RIDER THAT DOES NOT HAVE THE ABILITY not the ATV.

High Desert Drifter
12-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Good points!

I say go full size... I know a lot of people who bought a mid size and wished otherwise. if your in to serious exploring you going to want to place a couple of fuel packs on it, a gear bag full of your necessities etc... plus your weight and trying to climb a mountain with loose rocks. besides, have you ever tried winching your partners disabled full size up a gorge after an accident? with a mid size... I like the new Grizzly 700! or the Polaris 800. Have fun!

azpete
12-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Gotta agree with 'Drifter'...

I really like the stability of my Polaris 500 X2. Longer wheel base and real good engine breaking for those scary down-hills. Also has a 6 gal tank which gives me about 120 mile range. Haven't had the need for extra fuel tanks yet.

usersuper
04-14-2008, 08:29 PM
I've been taking the old Suzuki 230 ATV to Colorado for years. I'm 58 now, & would enjoy a more comfortable ride, but... I can change to the high altitude main jet in about 15 minutes on this one. The daughter's 2002 Polaris Trail Boss 325 is more like a Cadillac, but... it takes an hour to get the carb off to change the jets (for high altitude - less fuel). Whatever you decide on, spend the bucks & get something with a computerized injection system so you don't have to mess with the carb jets.

brian10x
04-14-2008, 08:55 PM
I've been taking the old Suzuki 230 ATV to Colorado for years. I'm 58 now, & would enjoy a more comfortable ride, but... I can change to the high altitude main jet in about 15 minutes on this one. The daughter's 2002 Polaris Trail Boss 325 is more like a Cadillac, but... it takes an hour to get the carb off to change the jets (for high altitude - less fuel). Whatever you decide on, spend the bucks & get something with a computerized injection system so you don't have to mess with the carb jets.

I've been told riding the new models with power steering is really comfortable. Much less upper body fatigue after a long day on the trails.

Paladin
04-15-2008, 04:36 AM
http://images.trucktrend.com/features/consumer/163_0706_atv_buyers_guide_14z+2007_yamaha_grizzly_ 700_4x4+front_view.jpg
I've got one of these and I couldn't agree more with you Brian! I have an '07 Yamaha Grizzly 700 with fuel injection and power steering. I've been riding atv's for 20+ years, and the technology now is incredible! I ride an average of 40-50 miles per trip and I get off the atv feeling great at the end of the day. No sore shoulders, arms, hands. The power steering also reduces the shock you would feel through the handlebars. If you hit a rock with of the front tires, the handlebars don't jerk out of your hands. The power steering is that good. The big seller for me was the salesman at the dealership- He put my atv in 4wd and locked the front differential. I got on and rode it like that on dry pavement. It was incredible how easy it was to steer!

High Desert Drifter
04-15-2008, 08:16 PM
http://images.trucktrend.com/features/consumer/163_0706_atv_buyers_guide_14z+2007_yamaha_grizzly_ 700_4x4+front_view.jpg
I've got one of these and I couldn't agree more with you Brian! I have an '07 Yamaha Grizzly 700 with fuel injection and power steering. I've been riding atv's for 20+ years, and the technology now is incredible! I ride an average of 40-50 miles per trip and I get off the atv feeling great at the end of the day. No sore shoulders, arms, hands. The power steering also reduces the shock you would feel through the handlebars. If you hit a rock with of the front tires, the handlebars don't jerk out of your hands. The power steering is that good. The big seller for me was the salesman at the dealership- He put my atv in 4wd and locked the front differential. I got on and rode it like that on dry pavement. It was incredible how easy it was to steer!

I Love my Grizz 660. although I don't have the power steering and the FI I can still ride 150 miles in a day out in the desert over rock and and through sage brush and still feel relatively fresh at the end of the day... I love how these machines have developed over the last 10 years!

Paladin
04-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Yup- They're great machines! I love all of the Yamaha Grizzly line. I've spent a good amount of time on a 660. I almost bought an '07 660 until I tried out the 700 with power steering. After that, 700 Griz w/ EPS and FI all the way!

caver
10-08-2008, 02:38 PM
I thought I would give everyone a follow up. A couple weeks ago I bought a new '08 Yamaha Grizzly 700 with power steering and fuel injection. The only downside is I was stuck with olive green as none of the competing dealers had any blue ones in the '08 stock. Hopefully it will see a ghost town in the next couple of years.

GaryB
10-09-2008, 06:45 AM
I thought I would give everyone a follow up. A couple weeks ago I bought a new '08 Yamaha Grizzly 700 with power steering and fuel injection.

Those are nice. I got to test one out not to long ago and really liked it. It's amazing how easy it was to ride compared to the older ATV's I'm used to.