PDA

View Full Version : Montana Advice?

Richard
12-10-2007, 05:17 AM
Hi, everyone

I'm an avid researcher/photographer of Montana ghost towns. Each June I spend a week in western Montana, seeking "new" sites and re-visiting old favorites.

You can see a few samples of my Montana photographs here:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/ramende/montana.htm

These are the places I've been to: Philipsburg, Bannack, Virginia City/Nevada City, Garnet, Elkhorn, Deer Lodge, Granita, Richmond Flats, Red Bluff, Sterling, Pony, Southern Cross, Cable, Marysville, Wickes, Corbin, Comet, Silver Star, Canyon Creek kilns, Neihart, Coolidge, Barker, Hughsville and Gould.

It's time to so some research for my 2008 trip. I'd love to hear from people who have travel suggestions for me. You'll find my email at the end of this posting.

I also love Montana and Montanans, so I'd love to hear from potential new friends. Music is another one of my primary interests. I always find magical new music in Montana.

Richard
ramende@sympatico.ca

Gravelrash
12-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Richard, those are very nice photos so thanks for sharing them.
I'm an awful long way from any of great ghost towns you've visited, but it was an interest in Montana that first led me to this great website so it's good to "meet" someone who shares my love of the place.
My original interest was not very informed - I just had a passion to drive Going to the Sun road, but the past few months has been a revelation, not just about Montana but most of the western half of the USA. I had no idea there were so many fabulous old towns and sites all over America. It is ghost towner heaven! I can't wait to see them myself....I'd also not say no to local knowledge!!
I hope you have a lot more photos to share.

Richard
12-11-2007, 05:47 AM
Hi

It was Glacier Park and the Going to the Sun Road that originally took me to Montana, as well. That was about 16 years ago. I fell in love with western Montana. I'll never forget the sight of the Rockies in my rearview mirror, as I headed back east. I felt I was leaving my true home. Each year I feel at home in Montana. The mountains make me feel at home, and the people make me feel at home.

You'll find a lot more of my pictures here:

http://www.myfamily.com/isapi.dll?c=site&htx=main&siteid=mKKQAQ

You'll have to register on this site, but it's free and friendly.

I'm from NE Ontario.

Where are you from?

Gravelrash
12-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Richard, the effect of those mountains is far reaching!! I hope to spend quite a few days driving and exploring up there, before heading down to Colorado - (I'm nothing, if not self-indulgent!)
I'm from Australia, 2 hours east of Melbourne. Our largest "mountain" around here is 1,100 metres. Montana is gonna blow my mind.

Richard
12-14-2007, 09:51 AM
I hope to spend quite a few days driving and exploring up there, before heading down to Colorado - (I'm nothing, if not self-indulgent!)

I'm no expert on Colorado. I've been there only once. But I urge you to see Mesa Verde National Park. I'm certain you won't regret that.

JuneNY
12-15-2007, 09:44 PM
the only ghost town in Montana that I have been to is Old Chico, in Park County. It has an interesting old schoolhouse. There are still residents in the town. Its not far from Yellowstone National Park, which is why I had a chance to visit it. I hope to have time to explore more of Montana in the future.

Your pictures of Montana ghost towns are magnificent!

Richard
12-16-2007, 06:45 AM
the only ghost town in Montana that I have been to is Old Chico, in Park County. It has an interesting old schoolhouse. There are still residents in the town. Its not far from Yellowstone National Park, which is why I had a chance to visit it.
Your pictures of Montana ghost towns are magnificent!

Thanks for the compliment and for the tip about Old Chico.

Tyroler
12-16-2007, 10:16 AM
Now,nice Pics

Gravelrash
12-16-2007, 08:05 PM
I'm no expert on Colorado. I've been there only once. But I urge you to see Mesa Verde National Park. I'm certain you won't regret that.
Hey Richard, thanks for the tip. I've been GoogleEarthing around there since and it looks fabulous. One more "must see". So many places, so little time!

Richard
12-24-2007, 06:51 AM
Thanks to my posting here, I was directed to this web site:

http://www.terryhalden.com/

Terry Halden has produced an excellent new book that will help you with all kinds of details of Montana ghost towns - directions, maps, photos, verbal descriptions, history.

I just received the book in the mail a couple of days ago. It's by far the most helpful book in my collection. I wish I'd had such a book 10 years ago!

Merry Xmas to everyone!