PDA

View Full Version : Sites/areas near Las Vegas?

Tranq
01-11-2008, 05:08 PM
I'm going to be going to Las Vegas in March for a week. I would like to find out about any good ghost town, gem hunting, nugget shooting sites/areas within a 3-4 hours drive of LV. Never too early to start researching areas.

Any tips pointing me in the right direction are appreciated:)

Gravelrash
01-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Trang - check out the interactive map for Nevada. There's some great county by county listings.
I have Goodsprings and Nelson on my "must see" list, but I have no idea if they are as shown on the maps, which are about 10 years old. I sense Goodsprings has "arrived" as a tourist trap??
Then, of course, there's the other "must see's" on everyones lists, Rhyollite and Beattie.
Wherever you end up, send a report back to us, ok!?

Tranq
01-13-2008, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the input. Where's this interactive map you mention?

Gravelrash
01-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Trang, the actual home-page of this site is http://www.ghosttowns.com/ where you'll see the map.
If you look at the very bottom of the page we are now on, you'll see some links
"Contact us" being first. Next to that is "Ghost Towns and History of the United States and Canada" which will also take you there.

vintagesteel
01-18-2008, 05:09 PM
get a DeLorme atlas of nevada,then mark the ghost towns. You can use google earth to try and find them. Then you can kind of get a feel for the roads and how to go about getting there before you go.I'm going back to vegas in Sept and thats what i'm doing. Good luck.

GaryB
01-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Do a search on here for "Las Vegas" as the topic has come up a few times. That should give you a few ideas.

Not much really around here to see except maybe the mine tour in Nelson http://eldoradocanyonminetours.com/
and the surrounding area for exploration. Searchlight is a good area to wonder around too.

In 4 hours, you could make Ely or Tonopah. Though I'm guessing you mean 3-4 hours round trip. Pioche, NV is about 2 1/2 one way, while Goldfield is about the same. They'd be long days, but you could go either way and hit numerous spots along the way that are listed on the site here.

As for gems or nuggets, heading to Beatty and Goldfield areas are better for gems. Not big into nuggets myself so I can't give you an honest idea. There are some really good gemstones books on NV that are around $10 or less on Amazon. I'd recommend them for better ideas.

Goat
01-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Yep, the Techatticup Mine tour is a good one to get the feel of what it was like for miners in the old days. Lots of interesting stuff there.

sbruce
01-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Goat, I would like to echo your recommendation for the Techatticup Mine tour. The owners have done amazing things with this property since my first visit to the location in 1996. Also, the drive out to Nelson summit has spectacular views, and the drive down to the Colorado River will top off a great day. PS, there are some very interesting patented mine properties for sale in the region, but with gold sky-rocketing it may be tough to find a bargain even in a property recession.