PDA

View Full Version : ghost towns near Seattle

JuneNY
01-25-2008, 08:06 AM
can anyone give me info. about
ghost towns near Seattle or
between Seattle and Portland, Oregon?

I want to combine a trip to visit family in Portland with a trip to Seattle and hope to see
some good ghost towns.
Help, please!

bad bob
01-25-2008, 09:57 AM
can anyone give me info. about
ghost towns near Seattle or
between Seattle and Portland, Oregon?

I want to combine a trip to visit family in Portland with a trip to Seattle and hope to see
some good ghost towns.
Help, please!

SEATTLE AREA: west
Port Gamble near jct WA 3 /104.
Union NW of Olympia on WA 106.

SEATTLE AREA: east
Sultan, Gold Bar, and Index all on US 2 east of Everett.

Ronald and Roslyn, both just NW of Cle Elum up WA 903.
Liberty up US 97 just east of Cle Elum.

Ghostdancer
01-31-2008, 04:16 AM
And East of Seattle off I-90 is Lester. (http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/wa/lester.html)

This will require a one or two mile hike past the yellow gate.

Tom

brian2372
02-23-2008, 05:51 PM
i dont know about the rest of them but goldbar,index, and sultan are not ghost towns .i used to live in sultan.but i beleive that there is one near stevens pass if you keep heading east on hwy. 2 but i heard it was very remote and hard to get to

Gravelrash
02-24-2008, 02:30 AM
I'm really enjoying this link - you've given me some great GoogleEarth exploration adventures guys, so I'm grateful once again!

The final blow to the town was in the early 1980's, when the Burlington Northern RR stopped all trains across Stampede Pass

Could any railway buff fill me in on why they stopped trains over Stampede.... and when?

bad bob
02-24-2008, 10:39 AM
i dont know about the rest of them but goldbar,index, and sultan are not ghost towns .i used to live in sultan.but i beleive that there is one near stevens pass if you keep heading east on hwy. 2 but i heard it was very remote and hard to get to

So you say those 3 towns are NOT ghost towns, but didn't say why, or post YOUR definition of a ghost town.

Sultan & Index are both listed in Lambert Florin's "A Guide to Western Ghost Towns". Florin (1905-1993) was one of the most prestigious authors on the subject. Gold Bar is in between the other 2 towns, and I listed it by mistake, yet it MAY be considered a ghost town today.

The one north of Stevens Pass may be called Trinity.... Florin's book states "heavy snows flattened most of the former copper mining towns' main buildings", but climbers use the vicinity as a base to climb Glacier Peak. He also calls it a "very scenic area".

DirtyDog
02-24-2008, 10:46 AM
North of Seattle and East on US Hwy 2 is the town of Index. As a child in the 1950s I lived there for 6 weeks. It was a Nickel mining town. In 1978 I drove thru it and it was all gone and brand new condos were all over the place. Research might uncover some old places like parks, schools, carnival/circu sites, etc.

DirtyDog
02-24-2008, 10:56 AM
That quote of Lester Moore was stolen. It is factual and was the man's epitaph on his tombstone in Idaho City, Idaho (or Quartzville) but not Tombstone AZ.
Wyatt Earp was Sheriff in Tombstone; afterwards he and his brothers opened a bar at Eagle, Idaho near Prichard Creek in the panhandle (there is another Eagle,Id NW of Boise). Went broke there, he did.

Fairlane500
03-23-2008, 03:35 PM
So you say those 3 towns are NOT ghost towns, but didn't say why, or post YOUR definition of a ghost town.

Sultan & Index are both listed in Lambert Florin's "A Guide to Western Ghost Towns". Florin (1905-1993) was one of the most prestigious authors on the subject. Gold Bar is in between the other 2 towns, and I listed it by mistake, yet it MAY be considered a ghost town today.

The one north of Stevens Pass may be called Trinity.... Florin's book states "heavy snows flattened most of the former copper mining towns' main buildings", but climbers use the vicinity as a base to climb Glacier Peak. He also calls it a "very scenic area".

A few years ago, the status of ghost town may have applied to Sultan and Gold Bar, along with their neighbor Startup, however in the current day and age, all three towns are growing bedroom communities of the Tacoma-Seattle-Everett area, and are relatively active communities. Sultan now even sports a McDonalds and a Subway in a new commercial strip area.

Index, however, still deserves the title of semi-ghost, being more "isolated" in the mountains off highway 2. In a similar vein is also the town of Skykomish, which is also still inhabilted, but has some neat old buildings.

In the category of true ghost locations near Seattle to be explored, Monte Cristo, east out of the Granite Falls area, should be considered. Like Lester, it involves a hike in, but I've heard there are some interesting remains.

Closer to Seattle, Franklin, near the old mining town of Black Diamond, is mostly shrouded by overgrowth, but has some mining relics and a neat old cemetary.
Ever nearer to the urban area is old Newcastle on Cougar Mountain between Renton and Bellevue, which has a developed trail system leading to several sites in this former ming community.

Ghostdancer
03-23-2008, 03:56 PM
In the category of true ghost locations near Seattle to be explored, Monte Cristo, east out of the Granite Falls area, should be considered. Like Lester, it involves a hike in, but I've heard there are some interesting remains.

This is another place I'd like to see when I make a future visit. I understand that it's about a 4 mile hike to Monte Cristo?

Tom

brian2372
03-30-2008, 08:39 PM
the reason i say its not a ghost town is because i LIVED there.skykomish is realy cool ,if the saloon/inn is still open it has the best french dips youve ever had and its suposed to be haunted but the last time i was up there it was closed.north east of there is supossed to be a ghost town but i dont remember the name of it .it would be below stevens pass to the west and the road is gone.also i beleive there is another one up F.S.road62 if they havnt gated it off yet for strictly logging.also as a footnote there is a music studio in index where jimi hendrix recorded "purple haze".my wife grew up in monroe about 10 miles west of sultan.there is a book on ghosttowns in that area that i would have to dig out of boxs most of the roads are shut down from jerks dumping stuff up in the woods.there are also some cool hot springs north of skykomish but i heard there off limits now also. if i dig out the book i will post the name of it.

NWNative
06-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Hah! I finally have the ability to post and this one was driving me crazy!! (OK, I know the thread is old and past but I can't leave it!!)

Sure Florin is a great resource, however his books are about thirty years old, things change in that time!!

Port Gamble in NOT a GT. Great history, cool old houses, interesty graveyard. Houses are occupied and maintained, stores open, not a GT

Sultan, Gold Bar and Index, again interesting and historical buildings, not GT's at all.

Ronals and Roslyn, not GTs anymore. There is a new McMansion developement just down the street and last time I was there it looked like the whole place was starting to yuppify. Now, this one is worth the trip becuase there's still enough old to make it interesting but I wouldn't hold my breath on that lasting for long.

Liberty was pretty close to being a GT many years agoa, but the homes have been bought and rehapped and it's a pretty thriving community now.

Weston was pretty empty when I went through a couple of years ago. Franklin is good - check in with the Black Diamond histroy museum for directions - There are a lot of "ghost towns" in Seattle. By that I mean a lot of towns that have been absorbed (resistance is futile) and if you know where to look you can find hints of them.

Vostok 7
06-25-2008, 06:19 PM
And East of Seattle off I-90 is Lester. (http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/wa/lester.html)

This will require a one or two mile hike past the yellow gate.

Tom

One or two? Heh, more like 4 or 5. And not a whole lot to see anymore.

I'm really enjoying this link - you've given me some great GoogleEarth exploration adventures guys, so I'm grateful once again!

Could any railway buff fill me in on why they stopped trains over Stampede.... and when?

Ha, I think that's a quote for the Lester Wikipedia entry I posted.

To explain why Stampede was used, I'd have to fill you in on the whole history of the Northern Pacific Railroad in Washington State. I assume you don't have a few hours, but the Northern Pacific was the first railroad through Washington back in the day. They had their choice of the three major passes, Stampede, Snoqualmie and Stevens. They chose Stampede because of how close it would get them to the port at Tacoma, but they ended up having to build the longest tunnel in the world at the time (1880s). Honestly, if you know the areas, both Snoqualmie and Stevens are much more inhospitable passes compared to Stampede. As it was, both alternate passes got railroads in their own time as well (Snoqalmie got the Chicago, St. Paul, Milwaukee & Pacific aka the Milwaukee Road and Stevens got the Great Northern).

Hah! I finally have the ability to post and this one was driving me crazy!! (OK, I know the thread is old and past but I can't leave it!!)

Sure Florin is a great resource, however his books are about thirty years old, things change in that time!!

Port Gamble in NOT a GT. Great history, cool old houses, interesty graveyard. Houses are occupied and maintained, stores open, not a GT

Sultan, Gold Bar and Index, again interesting and historical buildings, not GT's at all.

Ronals and Roslyn, not GTs anymore. There is a new McMansion developement just down the street and last time I was there it looked like the whole place was starting to yuppify. Now, this one is worth the trip becuase there's still enough old to make it interesting but I wouldn't hold my breath on that lasting for long.

Liberty was pretty close to being a GT many years agoa, but the homes have been bought and rehapped and it's a pretty thriving community now.

Weston was pretty empty when I went through a couple of years ago. Franklin is good - check in with the Black Diamond histroy museum for directions - There are a lot of "ghost towns" in Seattle. By that I mean a lot of towns that have been absorbed (resistance is futile) and if you know where to look you can find hints of them.

Weston? Which Weston are you talking about? The only Weston I know of is the one on Stampede Pass which is now long gone.

Vostok 7

bad bob
06-25-2008, 06:53 PM

Hiya NW, good to "see" ya back on the keyboards.

Ghost towns are usually defined as "any town which is a shadow of it's former self", and not just "true ghosts", devoid of any inhabitants.
So I believe several of the places you say are not ghost towns, can indeed be called as such. :)

Vostok 7
06-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Hiya NW, good to "see" ya back on the keyboards.

Ghost towns are usually defined as "any town which is a shadow of it's former self", and not just "true ghosts", devoid of any inhabitants.
So I believe several of the places you say are not ghost towns, can indeed be called as such. :)

Roslyn definitely. At one time it was one of the biggest cities in the state!

Vostok 7

NWNative
06-26-2008, 06:56 PM
You're right, not Weston, but Easton. Sorry!

Gravelrash
06-27-2008, 04:00 AM
They had their choice of the three major passes, Stampede, Snoqualmie and Stevens. They chose Stampede because of how close it would get them to the port at Tacoma, but they ended up having to build the longest tunnel in the world at the time (1880s). Honestly, if you know the areas, both Snoqualmie and Stevens are much more inhospitable passes compared to Stampede. As it was, both alternate passes got railroads in their own time as well (Snoqalmie got the Chicago, St. Paul, Milwaukee & Pacific aka the Milwaukee Road and Stevens got the Great Northern).
Vostok 7

Hey, thanks for that info. I have to say I DO NOT know that area - I'm in Australia - but I read links to every bit of info I am provided with, so you've given me some more search material. The history of American rail fascinates me.

NWNative
...not Weston -Easton!!! :)
Darn it! Left, not right! LOL

mainmanwalkin
06-27-2008, 04:22 AM

One thing to keep in mind, there's a difference between a ghost town with closed shops and abandoned houses and some historic-looking ones still open and an old town with the same things. It usually comes down to the history of the place and whether it was ever any bigger than it is today.

There are plenty of small towns out there that have rustic buildings, old churches, and abandoned homes, but have been a small community steadily since the town was formed. Still nice to tour thru and poke around in, but not ghost towns.

Vostok 7
06-27-2008, 01:05 PM
You're right, not Weston, but Easton. Sorry!

You had me excited for a second! Weston has been what I've been hunting for now for a year or so.

Easton still has some life, though. There's quite a few people there. Less than Roslyn or even Ronald but there's still some.

Hey, thanks for that info. I have to say I DO NOT know that area - I'm in Australia - but I read links to every bit of info I am provided with, so you've given me some more search material. The history of American rail fascinates me.

Yeah, I love it. My father and I had a car race recently in Wendover, NV (where the Bonnaville Salt Flats are) and we made a trip in to Utah for some business and while we were in Utah we went to the site of the Golden Spike, where the first American transcontinental railroad was completed in 1869. Was pretty facinating to see, they had replicas there of the original Union Pacific and Northern Californian locomotives which met at the spot, from the famous photograph.

I live right in the shadow of Snoqualmie pass, and the histories of the railroads in this area have facinated me. Mostly because of the ghost towns they created, but also just because of the history and what it meant for the area. I live outside of Cle Elum which was essentially created by the Northen Pacific since it was a stopoff point between the coal mines of Roslyn and the gold mines of Liberty. Right next door is Cle Elum's "suburb" of South Cle Elum which was created to support the Milwuakee Road since the two railroads couldn't stop at the same towns. Of course, the Milwuakee Road has been closed for some years now and is now a trail which you can walk on all the way through Snoqualmie Pass (it's called the Iron Horse Trail). There's a lot of history in this area, that's why I love it up here. Been here 20 years now :D

On that trip we also found where our relatives came from in this state. I'm 7th generation Washingtonian which goes back before statehood even! We first settled in the Rosalia area in the eastern part of the state right next to Idaho. Interestingly enough, all three of Washington's original railroads all went right through the area. In fact, my family's original homestead was right near one of the lines which meant they probably saw it being built back in the 1880s.

History is awesome. :D

- Patrick

bad bob
06-27-2008, 02:13 PM
One thing to keep in mind, there's a difference between a ghost town with closed shops and abandoned houses and some historic-looking ones still open and an old town with the same things. It usually comes down to the history of the place and whether it was ever any bigger than it is today.

There are plenty of small towns out there that have rustic buildings, old churches, and abandoned homes, but have been a small community steadily since the town was formed. Still nice to tour thru and poke around in, but not ghost towns.

You mean Historic Towns, such as Colonial Williamsburg, though perhaps not so "touristy?"

DirtyDog
07-09-2008, 11:03 PM
When I was a kid (I'm 66 now) we lived for 6 weeks in Index. My dad was with the U.S. Bureau of Mines and was attempting to open the nickel mine there. Believe me it was a ghost then and for many years later. In the early 1960s I visited Index again and it was all condos!

Roslyn is not a ghost town. Since "Northern Exposure" was filmed there a few years back it has come to life. I had dinner there and tried the local home brew, Roslyn Brewery and it is the best beer I ever tasted. That was in 2004.

campp
07-10-2008, 03:42 AM
Dirty Dog, what is the name of that historic/famous bar in Roslyn? I believe it is the oldest saloon in Washington state?

In 1980 I threw a few back and played some pool in there when we stayed with some locals in a very old house they were restoring. They showed us the town and had a lot of interesting stories about the area. I'm sure it's different now, but even then Roslyn was quite interesting. I wanted to move there at the time!

DirtyDog
07-10-2008, 06:45 AM
Sorry, I can't help you with that name. I was only there for dinner; it was on the east side of the main drag. The owners were from Serbia. The food was great too!
I discovered Roslyn back in the 1960s when we lived in Yakima. I was so enchanted I dragged my wife up to see the almost-ghost town. Houses could be bought for $5,000 and on any given block there were 6-10 houses, vacant and for sale. My wife talked me out of investing...grrrr.

SilverGryphon
07-27-2008, 05:22 AM
Anyone know the history of the little fensed off area just directly south of the Airport off 200th? Apparently you can get back in there now on foot or bike, and I know there is a cemetary just off 200th thats all fensed up. My wife's uncle says there is whole houses back there abandoned, and On google you and see the old city streets back in there.

Vostok 7
07-28-2008, 08:24 AM
Dirty Dog, what is the name of that historic/famous bar in Roslyn? I believe it is the oldest saloon in Washington state?

In 1980 I threw a few back and played some pool in there when we stayed with some locals in a very old house they were restoring. They showed us the town and had a lot of interesting stories about the area. I'm sure it's different now, but even then Roslyn was quite interesting. I wanted to move there at the time!
That would be The Brick. It's the second oldest tavern/saloon in the state. Roslyn at one time in the mid-late 1800s was one of the largest towns in the state, larger even than Seattle, thanks to the coal mines.

campp
07-28-2008, 11:31 AM
The Brick, eh? Sure don't remember that name! But then again, there's a lot I don't remember from the 1980s...

I really enjoyed Roslyn. This was well before that TV show they shot there.

karrie_ann
11-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Anyone know the history of the little fensed off area just directly south of the Airport off 200th? Apparently you can get back in there now on foot or bike, and I know there is a cemetary just off 200th thats all fensed up. My wife's uncle says there is whole houses back there abandoned, and On google you and see the old city streets back in there.

The fenced off area was bought by the airport years ago while they were preparing for the '3rd runway'. The old cemetary has been fenced off at least since I was in high school, we got in trouble more than once for being there. From what I remember it was an old cemetary with some great old headstones.

PleasantPictures
12-01-2008, 04:11 PM
This is a great thread ... definitely a few options to explore. For the time being, maybe someone could help me out with a particularly interesting abandoned building or ruin ... an old factory would be perfect! I want to go inside with models for a photo shoot, so I don't really mind if there is recent construction around. It would definitely help if it was accessible by 2WD so I can get the models and gear there, and ideally no graffiti. An old barn or shack would do - just as long as I don't have to trespass to get in :) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tsarevna
12-01-2008, 06:01 PM
This is a great thread ... definitely a few options to explore. For the time being, maybe someone could help me out with a particularly interesting abandoned building or ruin ... an old factory would be perfect! I want to go inside with models for a photo shoot, so I don't really mind if there is recent construction around. It would definitely help if it was accessible by 2WD so I can get the models and gear there, and ideally no graffiti. An old barn or shack would do - just as long as I don't have to trespass to get in :) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

There is an old abandoned brewery in Olympia. Red brick building, visible from I-5 when you drive North or South. I've always wanted to go inside it, but I'm not sure if you can go in.
Click the link below to see a nice photo about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympia_Brewery

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa51/Tsarevna303/olympia_brewery.jpg

bad bob
12-01-2008, 08:14 PM

You left out your location, but there are hundreds of great places for your subject interest, in just about every state of the union.

As for trespassing, if you go get permission first, (preferably written in case it has to be shown) that would not be a problem. :)

Albin
12-02-2008, 04:24 AM
To answer one question: Monte Cristo is about 4 miles off the highway, behind a locked gate. The locked gate and the road behind it is drivable but only by the residents of MC. This information is about 22 years old - the last time I was at MC.

They allowed hikers in then, but be aware that there were residents living there and therefore private property. Act accordingly.

Can you still hike through the Snoqualmie, Stevens (old four mile, not the 8 mile) and Stampede Pass RR tunnels? I've did it several times when I lived in Seattle in the '80's. Great times!

Missed going to Trinity though.

Darin
12-02-2008, 08:13 PM
To answer one question: Monte Cristo is about 4 miles off the highway, behind a locked gate. The locked gate and the road behind it is drivable but only by the residents of MC. This information is about 22 years old - the last time I was at MC.

They allowed hikers in then, but be aware that there were residents living there and therefore private property. Act accordingly.

The gate is still locked, but the river washed out the bridge there and part of the road is washed out so all that you can see is railroad tracks from the 1890's.

You can still hike in and the road is walkable but watch out for it can change within 5 minutes with the way the hill is (being washed out and all)

I was there with my daughter just this past summer/fall and now she wants to go back next summer...I think she's hooked!!!