PDA

View Full Version : Music?

tuutuutango
02-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Is there anyway to disable the music on this webiste? I like to listen to CDs on my computer while surfing, and the :mad:twanging banjos:mad: interfere with my music. Each time I get on GT, I have to shut down my audio.:(

Thanks
22Tango

GaryB
02-05-2008, 03:09 AM
I would just say no, but since "no" is too short of a message to post, I'll say "no, not at all". :D

Ghosttowns.com
02-06-2008, 08:02 AM
just mute the midi fader in your sound control panel - then you can still pay cd's and any other audio

bob3 was bob2
02-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Or you can use firefox and it won't play the banjos. :)

campp
02-07-2008, 05:47 AM
Or you can use firefox and it won't play the banjos. :)

OK good, thought I was going deaf ;)

rabbit
02-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Here's my vote on making the music optional. It's set to an unusually loud volume, it's the wrong style for the region, and moreover it's just intrusive to have sound without any user intervention.

FWIW, I use FireFox and I still get the audio. If there's a way to turn it off I'd visit here more often; please let me know how.

tuutuutango
03-07-2008, 04:28 PM
I have Firefox, yet still the Banjos "raise their ugly head" or I should say "shout their twanging chords."

What I do on my Sony VAIO running Windows XP... look for the small speaker icon on the lower (left-side) tool bar at the bottom of your screen. Click on that tiny speaker and you'll be given the option of totally muting the banjos, OR you can adjust the slider to an audio level that is less annoying.

On my Macs, it is very easy, on a Windows computer, just a little more complicated, but it can be done.

bad bob
03-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Here's my vote on making the music optional. It's set to an unusually loud volume, it's the wrong style for the region, and moreover it's just intrusive to have sound without any user intervention.

FWIW, I use FireFox and I still get the audio. If there's a way to turn it off I'd visit here more often; please let me know how.

I do realize some folks have a pet peeve regarding music, or any number of other petty annoyances. But this resource is worth the small effort to either turn the pc speaker volume down, quickly click over the initial banjo music to get here, or figure out how to disable it.

But to actually state that you'd visit here more often if it weren't for the music leads me to believe you may have deeper issues. Perhaps if you resolved those 1st, this site would seem more "user friendly" to ya. And there's always therapy if all else fails. :)

I remember a customer walked out of a barber shop because the owner refused to turn off the Muzak while he got his haircut. :rolleyes:

Kelly
03-07-2008, 08:29 PM
QUICK SILVER MESSENGER SERVICE.(what about me?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUszp9QFmq4

Tsarevna
04-08-2008, 12:01 AM
I second the motion, in Internet Explorer you can turn off web page sounds in the Options, but I cannot figure it out for Firefox. :(

The music glitches, my sound card is quite old and it's the ac 97 codex stuff.

Sometimes when the banjos start there's a super-loud SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEET!!!!!!!!!!

sound of static that not only hurts my ears but makes me jump out of my chair.

That feedback is louder than the music itself.

The music isn't bad at all, I like it. I'd just request a play button with pause button so I can be prepared for the possible feedback sound at the start of it.

As it goes now, I have to remember to take my headphones off each time I type in www.ghosttowns.com, and if I don't I regret it.

(I have to keep my MIDI volume up because I play online games that require MIDI volume. When the game lulls, I alt-tab and surf the web, sometimes going to gt.com to grab a link for somebody who is interested in the site. )

I introduce people to gt.com by saying "do you know how many ghost towns are in your state?" :)

Anyways, I'd appreciate a button. Things are more complicated than "turn down your speakers." I don't even have speakers. :p

Ghosttowns.com
04-09-2008, 08:32 AM
The issue with the music isnt that it should or shouldnt be there or that there should be a way to mute etc... its that there are 60,000+ pages with the code on it and no one here has or will have time to go through every page and change the code so unfortunately its just not going to happen because it would be weeks of work and since this whole website is all volunteer its just too much.

bad bob
04-09-2008, 09:47 AM
The issue with the music isnt that it should or shouldnt be there or that there should be a way to mute etc... its that there are 60,000+ pages with the code on it and no one here has or will have time to go through every page and change the code so unfortunately its just not going to happen because it would be weeks of work and since this whole website is all volunteer its just too much.

Thanks for that, but it's only "unfortunate" for some, as I happen to like the music. :o

LauraA
04-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks for that, but it's only "unfortunate" for some, as I happen to like the music. :o

Me too! I especially enjoy my husband yelling YEEEHAWWW when he hears the banjo music begin. :D

bad bob
04-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Me too! I especially enjoy my husband yelling YEEEHAWWW when he hears the banjo music begin. :D

Ha ha..you should make sure he's not holding hot coffee or any sharp object, and then just jump up and have yerselves a good old-time hoedown. Get's the circulation a-pumpin'. :)

mainmanwalkin
04-10-2008, 05:32 AM

It's funny, I'm on ghosttowns.com so often that my girlfriend says I should just make it my homepage. I try to say I'm not on the site so much, but when I'm over her place surfing the web, the music is a dead giveaway and we have a good laugh.

Joel
04-10-2008, 08:23 PM
If you want a better sounding Western tune, try BOXES from Sloatbucket. Tell me that Marty wouldn't have had tears in his eyes.:p
http://sloatbucket.com/music.html

Tsarevna
06-08-2008, 05:58 PM

What? :confused:

I only hear music on the home page, and the page where you select the state you want.

Just turn it off from those two please! If it is indeed coded on other pages it doesn't work so it doesn't matter! :mad:

I have just updated to the final version of the sound drivers for my on-board AC 97 card that I have, and 99% of the time that I visit ghosttowns.com I get a huge

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!

Horrible_freaking_noise_in-my-ear!!

THEN music starts playing. :mad:

This is getting old!!

brian10x
06-08-2008, 06:25 PM
What? :confused:

I only hear music on the home page, and the page where you select the state you want.

Just turn it off from those two please! If it is indeed coded on other pages it doesn't work so it doesn't matter! :mad:

I have just updated to the final version of the sound drivers for my on-board AC 97 card that I have, and 99% of the time that I visit ghosttowns.com I get a huge

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!

Horrible_freaking_noise_in-my-ear!!

THEN music starts playing. :mad:

This is getting old!!

If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port,
And the bus is interrupted as a very last resort,
And the address of the memory makes your floppy disk abort,
Then the socket packet pocket has an error to report!

If your cursor finds a menu item followed by a dash,
And the double-clicking icons put your window in the trash,
And your data is corrupted 'cause the index doesn't hash,
Then your situation's hopeless, and your system's gonna crash!

If the label on your cable on the gable at your house,
Says the network is connected to the button on your mouse,
But your packets want to tunnel to another protocol,
That's repeatedly rejected by the printer (http://www.paklinks.com/gs/showthread.php?t=34987#) down the hall.

And your screen is all distorted by the side effects of gauss,
So your icons in the window are as wavy as a souse,
Then you may as well reboot and go out with a bang,
'Cause as sure as I'm a poet, the sucker's gonna hang!

When the copy of your floppy's getting sloppy on the disk,
And the microcode instructions cause unnecessary risk,
Then you have to flash your memory and you'll want to RAM (http://www.paklinks.com/gs/showthread.php?t=34987#) your ROM,
Quickly turn off your computer and be sure to tell your mom!

frayed
08-18-2008, 12:52 PM
How to ruin a web site . . .just listen to the music and you hear music that drives people up trees but even more harmful to a good web site "Get that off the speakers NOW!" It is easier to just forget Ghost Towns for six months or more and then you get the shock of the world's worst music when you find the Ghost Towns site again. Gad, I really enjoy the site but the shock of the terrible music drives to to other sites.

bad bob
08-18-2008, 02:47 PM
How to ruin a web site . . .just listen to the music and you hear music that drives people up trees but even more harmful to a good web site "Get that off the speakers NOW!" It is easier to just forget Ghost Towns for six months or more and then you get the shock of the world's worst music when you find the Ghost Towns site again. Gad, I really enjoy the site but the shock of the terrible music drives to to other sites.

Two things come to mind immediately. First, I doubt the music would concern you much if it was hip hop rap, perhaps even "gansta rap".
Second is that folks who are into ghosttowning do NOT let something that petty stop them from accessing one of the best gt sites on earth.

There have been methods suggested for disabling the music, for those who are highly offended. So you DO have options, but I'm afraid I can't sympathize with ya much. :(

Joel
08-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Most PCs and PC speakers have a volume control that can be accessed by mouse or hand. Not very difficult for me since I'm not very big on Bluegrass music. So what's the real problem?

Tsarevna
08-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Most PCs and PC speakers have a volume control that can be accessed by mouse or hand. Not very difficult for me since I'm not very big on Bluegrass music. So what's the real problem?

I already explained I don't have any speakers, and no, there's no volume control on my headphones. So if you missed my earlier post, here it is again.

The problem is the horrible loud sound that is much like feedback blasts my ears out 80% of the time I visit the site!!

As I already stated, I upgraded my sound codex and did everything I could to get rid of it, yet I can't get rid of that horrible feedback noise. It's much louder than volume of music I have playing or anything else on the internet, like youtube.

Imagine listening to a pleasant song then typing in www.ghosttowns.com (http://www.ghosttowns.com), then

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTTTT TT!

Makes you cry out loud from the pain and shock of the noise so much that you throw your headphones off your head!!!!:mad::mad:

This also happens EVERY SINGLE TIME I press the "refresh" button on the ghosttowns.com forum, because it doesn't refresh the forum, instead it leads you back to the homepage with the feedback sound!!!!

Joel
08-18-2008, 08:01 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8331003&type=product&id=1175389503325
Problem solved at Best Buy. $24.99.

Calamity June
08-19-2008, 11:36 AM
I can't figure out what the problem is. When I get on the forum I come directly to the forum and never hear the banjo music.
But I just went to www.ghosttowns.com (http://www.ghosttowns.com) and turned up my speakers....Yeah boy howdy, dag nabit that is some kind of annoying music by cracky. I kept waiting to hear pigs squealing in the back-ground.:p

Tsarevna
08-21-2008, 10:20 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8331003&type=product&id=1175389503325
Problem solved at Best Buy. $24.99.

Dude, that's not problem solved.

When I'm listening to my music, and type in ghosttowns.com, the horrible sound will be 500% louder than the volume of my music and still freak me out.

And no, I don't want to have to adjust what I'm doing, be it listening to the radio online streaming, or listening to a CD, just to visit this site without hideous ear pain. :mad:

bad bob
08-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Dude, that's not problem solved.

When I'm listening to my music, and type in ghosttowns.com, the horrible sound will be 500% louder than the volume of my music and still freak me out.

And no, I don't want to have to adjust what I'm doing, be it listening to the radio online streaming, or listening to a CD, just to visit this site without hideous ear pain. :mad:

Folks jes tryin' to help, Tsar. I think some of your details are just emerging a little at a time.

There were some suggestions for disabling the banjo music in your computer's settings or some such. Don't know if you saw those. If not, try to search the thread. Or was it you that tried them and they didn't work? (disabling).

Me brother helps me with a lot of the "tech" issues on mine. He's been at it for over 35 years. I'm doin' ok just to find the ON button :)

xplor'npaul
09-15-2008, 07:07 AM
Hey GT.com....how bout a nice version or Ghost riders in the sky? That banjo music has to go.

xplor'npaul
09-20-2008, 03:17 PM
A big thanks to GT.com for taking the suggestion to change the music to Ghost Riders in the sky! Makes me want to saddle up a horse and do a roundup! Thanks Again!

LV Caretaker
09-20-2008, 05:10 PM
A big thanks to GT.com for taking the suggestion to change the music to Ghost Riders in the sky! Makes me want to saddle up a horse and do a roundup! Thanks Again!

WOW! :D You must have some clout 'round here! Cool! :cool:

Kathy

Tsarevna
09-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Folks jes tryin' to help, Tsar. I think some of your details are just emerging a little at a time.

There were some suggestions for disabling the banjo music in your computer's settings or some such. Don't know if you saw those. If not, try to search the thread. Or was it you that tried them and they didn't work? (disabling).

Me brother helps me with a lot of the "tech" issues on mine. He's been at it for over 35 years. I'm doin' ok just to find the ON button :)

Yeah you are right, I should calm down. I just cannot turn off music in websites with firefox, I've searched through options, with no luck.

I can use Internet Explorer, (and turn of music with it) but I personally dislike it.

My real problem is having a horribly out-dated soundcard and codex that is no longer supported or updated. But, purchasing a newer soundcard for $50 or so just isn't high enough on my priority list.
It's an old computer, I need an entirely new rig!

Kelly
09-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Turn it up, :D :D

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/krtoydriver/175399812roxbury.gif

ghost_town_huntress
09-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Oh come on, I love the banjos! I vote they stay!

Rachel in Utah
ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

bad bob
09-23-2008, 08:50 PM

Rachel in Utah

I'll second that Rachel. Other than a couple of members having trouble disabling the music, it's a well-known ghost-town home page introduction that lasts for about 45 seconds or so if you choose to listen to the entire wav file.

For most members, it plays for a whopping 1.5 seconds during the transition from home page to forum. Though I haven't tried it yet, someone said they went to the forum page and added it to their faves list from there, instead of the home page, bypassing the music altogether.

Folks with coffee nerves should probably switch to decaf instead of worrying about a dam.n banjo music intro (IMO).

LauraA
09-24-2008, 05:24 AM
I don't care which music they choose to put on the GT website, I'm just thankful the site is there. As many of you who maintain your own websites already know, maintaining them isn't easy and positive feedback instead of complaints is always good to hear.

If you save this forum to your favorites, you can come directly here instead of having to go through the GT website, especially if the music bothers you.

Johnnie
09-30-2008, 06:05 AM

Rachel in Utah

We agree with Rachel, Laura, Bob, Kelly, and everyone else. We love the music. "Ghost Towns" wouldn't be the same without it.:cool: :cool:

Johnnie & Sheila

David A. Wright
09-30-2008, 09:35 AM
I already explained I don't have any speakers, and no, there's no volume control on my headphones. So if you missed my earlier post, here it is again.

The problem is the horrible loud sound that is much like feedback blasts my ears out 80% of the time I visit the site!!

... Makes you cry out loud from the pain and shock of the noise so much that you throw your headphones off your head!!!!
Unplug earphones when visiting the site. End of problem.

Gravelrash
10-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Bring back the banjo! Please!?:)

SnapShot
12-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Is there anyway to disable the music on this webiste? I like to listen to CDs on my computer while surfing, and the :mad:twanging banjos:mad: interfere with my music. Each time I get on GT, I have to shut down my audio.:(

Thanks
22Tango

I've been here before over the years, and enjoy the site. It has improved during that time as well.

The two reasons I joined the forum were 1) to ask how to turn off the music and 2) See how I could contribute photos.

Seems that the answer to the irritating music is, shut off the speakers, deal with it, make changes to my computer, yank the plug on the speakers, or put up with the noise. I have other sound sources running and I often surf the web from work.

No I don't care if you were playing something else, it's just an irritation and imposition and doesn't add to the excellent site content. Maybe Firefox will come out with a music killer plugin some day. :)

Good news, it only appears to work on the maps and front page. Please don't fix it.

About #2 I'll be working on that. I did some searching, however minimal and don't see size or quality guidelines anywhere.

Do you reduce the images and do the extra work, or would it be better if I submitted already edited and size adjusted images?

I'd like to contribute but wonder if I can make it easier for you by pre-processing a little before submitting.

Keep up the nice site, your work is appreciated.

brian10x
12-04-2008, 06:26 AM
I do realize some folks have a pet peeve regarding music, or any number of other petty annoyances. But this resource is worth the small effort to either turn the pc speaker volume down, quickly click over the initial banjo music to get here, or figure out how to disable it.

But to actually state that you'd visit here more often if it weren't for the music leads me to believe you may have deeper issues. Perhaps if you resolved those 1st, this site would seem more "user friendly" to ya. And there's always therapy if all else fails. :)

I remember a customer walked out of a barber shop because the owner refused to turn off the Muzak while he got his haircut. :rolleyes:

What I want to know, is how to turn off the oompah band inside my head.

vacant minds
12-10-2008, 11:26 AM
What I want to know, is how to turn off the oompah band inside my head.
http://www.brighamandwomens.org/publicaffairs/Images/Pill_bottle_and_pills.jpg

Helena of the Gila
07-24-2009, 02:25 PM
I know I'm one of the newbiest of newbies, but I kinda liked the music. Especially Ghost Riders. :)
It's what drew me in here. ;)

I would even like to hear some other midis if possible.(Guess I'm just w-a-y to easily entertained LOL!)

Maybe Tumblin' Tumble Weeds, Southwestern Town of El Paso, Streets Of Larado, Lonsome Cattle Call, You Are My Sun Shine, Golden Slippers, Darlin' Clemintine, or Ol' Susana. Maybe even The Devil Went Down T' Georgia, that one's sort a' ghosty an' spooky. :D

(guess i'd better slink away real quiet like, now - 'case someone decides t' throw somethin' :p)

Joel
07-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Haha! I think Sloatbucket's Cochise County or Boxes ought to be the theme here myself.

ghost_town_huntress
07-26-2009, 05:40 PM
I liked the music too.